S-10 vs. FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.fjforty.com
I was on my way home from a week long vacation on Sunday, about 6 miles from home, when a guy in a S-10 decided he wanted to blow a stop sign and turn in front of me. I had the right of way (no stop) and he claimed he didn't see me in the 80 with a 19.5 boat in tow.

Well it really doesn't look like I suffered much damage as he did. I drove home and noticed that the steering wheel alignment had changed slightly. I'll have the truck looked over this week.

Is there anything that I should have the mechanics look at? I think I'll have them inspect the steering box, the front steering knuckles, and the axle.

I have to say this is just another testament to tne strength of the Cruiser. It makes me want to rethink my decision to get an econo box for commuting to work.

Here are the Pics I took of both trucks.
accident.jpg

accident

Last edited:
hmmm picture no workie

Looks like time to get rid of the damage multiplier -- lucky for you that he didn't hit that ;)

Maybe replace the stock wtih ARB? If you had one on there when you were hit, he'd have MUCH more damage and you'd likely have nothing but a scratch.

I see a new ARB in your future. That S-10 got what it deserved.

I gotta say that was the first thing I thought as well. I think I may just go that route now. Hmmmm...Looks like about $800 worth of damage to me huh?

alstaz said:
I gotta say that was the first thing I thought as well. I think I may just go that route now. Hmmmm...Looks like about $800 worth of damage to me huh?

I think a new front bumper goes for $1100, ask cdan though.

Nice tires.... how are they working out for you?

Doc said:
Nice tires.... how are they working out for you?

I like the look of them quite a bit, I had them out on the sand dunes last week and I aired them down to about 16psi. They worked well. I can definitely hear them on the highway, and my mpg is down to about 12.4(adjusted) but overall I am quite happy.

Oh, and the sidewall took the hit and survived without incident. I appreciated the suggestion BTW!

LR_RESQ said:
Take cash-in-liue of repairs and buy an ARB and a winch!

Good point, didn't think about that. If the insurance company hands you an $1100 check you are better off.

Nice! Imagine if you did have an ARB on. Man, that s-10 would be destroyed! "cash-in-liue of repairs" does sound like a good idea. An s-10 hits you and in return you get an ARB! Awesome.

I got all of the info from the other guy including his insurance. He wanted to try to take care of this outside of the INS company. I told him I would consider it, but if anything fishy happend I am going to deal w/ his company.

I love the 80, what a tank. I have never seen another vehicle come out of so many crashes with so little damage.

Doesn't your insurance company expect to be in the loop, regardless of who pays?

"taking care of things" outside of the insurance company is just asking for trouble. If ANYTHING goes bad, he can report the accident, and then report YOU for not reporting it....

I wouldn't put that much faith in a guy that blew a stop sign and hit my truck. Be safe man, it shouldn't make your insurance go up, will it?

If the alignment has changed, i'd be checking the front chassis rails to make sure impact did not bend. Anyone decent panel shop with a Car-A-Ligner should be able to throw a laser over it to ensure it is within spec's.

Just a quick thought, even though Joe Smoe decided to blow the stop sign, it is still considered an incident for both drivers. Blame is usually assigned in the form of a citation and it does not sound like the police were involved. I commute 120 miles/day and have been involved in several accidents in the last 12 mo, none of which were my fault and I was very quietly warned by my agent to be REALLY careful.
Good luck and it could have been much worse... glad all human life is ok :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom