Rusty LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Long time lurker, finally owned a truck worthy of joining and bothering everyone with. I have recently purchased a 2010 LX570 with more rust than miles. Hail damage, etc. Perfect family hauler and exploring vehicle. Bought it from a local used car place. They’re not exactly honest about the car, but I played dumb, and then came in low the day before it was going to auction in another state. Happy enough.

95k on the clock
Dobinsons suspension
The AHC is far gone and tbh it’s not my thing.
285/55r20 coopers
Busted driver mirror
Poorly blended driver fender
Poorly blended bumper
Original headlights one has been plastic welded.
Rust…

Did I mention rust?

Plans:
UCAs
Extra Key (came with only one)
Passenger dash trim
Rust repair
Driver mirror replacement

Right now my wife is driving it, but I’m going to sell my f250 and buy her one that’s newer, not lifted and has all the AHC stuff working (and fits in the garage). I had a silver t4r and loved it, but growing family moved me away from Toyotas at the time due to budget.

I welcome any and all advice. I am a DIY type too. More pictures to follow.

B192366D-3009-49AF-905B-15F079130CD3.jpeg

C'mon - show the rust!
As someone who grew up in the south, this is a lot of rust. There is more but this was just a quick shot. Notice the rot on that skid plate.

FB51736F-FBF4-419F-9FD6-2A9890D2F4A8.jpeg

A6D8D329-2834-4AAD-90CA-C6B1BD27E5B6.jpeg

399B7717-14B2-476C-AA8A-13B3EA40C3C9.jpeg

Did you already take off the ahc? Otherwise there must be a story behind that spring.

What do you want to do with the truck?
How long do you want to keep it?
How much time do you have to spend on fixing the rust?

If you want to last longer and have time to fix it, then I'll start with a full assessment of the rust condition including frame, body, and between frame and body. Suspension and other removable parts are replaceable and you can fix replace as needed when needed.

For body/frame you want to replace the pieces that are rusted through (I see some in the pics). That may require cutting and welding.
On many spots you can get away with removing as much rust, applying rust converter, prime and paint.

If you do not care much/no time/don't plan to keep it long, just address safety spots like holes (or almost) in the structural parts of the frame. For the rest clean the scale as much as you like and apply some rust preventer spray film periodically. It will not fix the rust but it will stop or slow down progress.

We can provide more advise once you decide what you want and there is more info /pics of the rust.

Are there actual rust holes in the frame? Of just the shields? I can’t say ive ever seen or heard of rust holes in a 200 frame. And ive seen a lot worse rust on 200s people use to launch boats in the salt.

Are there actual rust holes in the frame? Of just the shields? I can’t say ive ever seen or heard of rust holes in a 200 frame. And ive seen a lot worse rust on 200s people use to launch boats in the salt.
I didn’t find any true rot where the structure was compromised which is why I bought it.
Did you already take off the ahc? Otherwise there must be a story behind that spring.
I bought it with the dobinsons on it. I really wanted a LC for the simplicity but this was a good deal.
What do you want to do with the truck?
How long do you want to keep it?
How much time do you have to spend on fixing the rust?

If you want to last longer and have time to fix it, then I'll start with a full assessment of the rust condition including frame, body, and between frame and body. Suspension and other removable parts are replaceable and you can fix replace as needed when needed.

For body/frame you want to replace the pieces that are rusted through (I see some in the pics). That may require cutting and welding.
On many spots you can get away with removing as much rust, applying rust converter, prime and paint.

If you do not care much/no time/don't plan to keep it long, just address safety spots like holes (or almost) in the structural parts of the frame. For the rest clean the scale as much as you like and apply some rust preventer spray film periodically. It will not fix the rust but it will stop or slow down progress.

We can provide more advise once you decide what you want and there is more info /pics of the rust.

I’m keeping it until it dies. I’m going to take it apart as best I can without pulling the body off the frame (no means to do so) and wire wheel everything, repaint it and then apply either some cosmoline or Krown oil over it. There is one spot of bubbling on the driver side floor next to the step and along the driver rear door along the bottom.

OEM filters are on their way, I’ll run 0-20 over the winter since it will be parked outside and I have a bunch left over from the Subaru.

Everything else seems to work, even have the remote for the rear TV 😂 does it work? Idk I don’t have a dvd to test it with nor the headphones.

Some shots of my old 4r

I’ll get some better ones of the 200 today

EC140FE6-DFEE-47F0-8C80-060D82F5A1D3.jpeg

E2CB2941-C15B-40D0-A77B-3F68185E1DC5.jpeg

After wire brush don't skip rust converter. It is hard to clean rust completely just with a wire brush.

After wire brush don't skip rust converter. It is hard to clean rust completely just with a wire brush.
Yeah that’s the plan: I’m going to run some rust disolver and then rust converter and then paint and then cosmoline or equivalent.

Fat wide Thule fits easily on the roof - was worried with how short these racks are.

Also got Bluetooth audio connected today. Works fine.

61D160EC-43B7-4C2C-A4E6-F0EE146C8A60.jpeg

Been wire wheeling the rust, cleaning and then spraying with rust converter. The only thing that I’ve found that’s rotten so far is the trans skid plate. The tow hooks are getting some electrolysis in the Home Depot bucket.

I love this big girl.

80994E82-538A-421A-857A-5CF5F0399FB8.jpeg

BBA964AF-66CD-41A5-B844-9A148F9AD139.jpeg

D92B0518-A98C-4E02-AA42-795C1A49B23B.jpeg

Any warning lights on the dashboard from the ahc delete?
No, thankfully bc that stuff is dead and bloated at this point on this truck.

Wow! Nice job on the frame resto. Dobson lift and knobby tires shows the truck might have been enthusiast owned. What did you pay for the truck?

26 - the dealer put the lift and tires on. I’m sure they bought it at auction and didn’t realize what they were getting into, saw the price to fix the AHC, tossed this and new tires on and then sat on it. It got hailed on at their lot too.

The interior is fine minus the passenger dash trim - I need to figure out where to get a replacement piece.

Fat wide Thule fits easily on the roof - was worried with how short these racks are.

Also got Bluetooth audio connected today. Works fine.

View attachment 3117655
The LC roof rack also bolts right up, so you have a longer rack and can position things further forward. I found a local guy with an LC who was putting a Prinsu rack on his and gave me his LC roof rack for free.

Is that only rust converter or did you also prime/paint? Mind sharing what you used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom