Rusty air injection check valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to buy the last hose made for the ABV assembly. The hose that runs from the ABV to the air injection rail. Went to replace it today and found that the check valve on the air rail has completely disintegrated. Rust particles had fallen down into the bottom of the ABV and started to rust.

Took the ABV apart and cleaned it out. American Toyota has a new check valve on the way. Just wondering how much of this crap has gotten blown where it shouldn't be.

November122011009.jpg

Yuck. Is that a mix of rotted hose and rust? Was it just the male portion hidden inside the hose that disintegrated?

Yup the male portion had completely disintegrated. That crap has probably been blowing around in there for years.

My advice would be to order the hose and check valve while they are still available. Eventually running a 2F will be impossible as the parts dwindle.

Old VS new check valve.

November262011002.jpg

November262011001.jpg

I'm impressed you were able to get it off the pipe. I ended up hacking mine off at the exhaust at crimping it up.

Nice comparison shots!

Just curious on the condition of your smog pump.

Old VS new check valve.

November262011002.jpg

November262011001.jpg

I have noticed that my check valve is more rusty then the one you removed. It just cooked the hose. did you try to start the truck without the check valve. I am asking because my truck will start and run for a minute when cold but restart it and it won't run for more then a few seconds. Not sure if the check valve rust issue is related to the stalling or a different problem completely.

Thanks

Running with no check valve is possible. My buddy drove his 60 around like that for months until I shoved something in the hose that stopped it up.

I only noticed it because I put my head under the hood and got a nice blast of exhaust :hillbilly:

the air injection, from what i understand, does not affect how your engine runs, just how clean the exhaust is. it provides oxygen in the exhaust manifold and pipe so the combustion can complete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom