Rusted Brake Line (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

marshcat

SILVER Star
Threads
Had a really bad brake failure on my '03 last night. Out of nowhere the pedal goes to the floor and I see smoke from brake fluid hitting the exhaust manifold. I pop the hood and brake fluid is pouring out from underneath the master cylinder.

I have the car towed to my mechanic, and he calls me to say the brake line between the master cylinder and the "proportion valve" is rotted away. He says the line is a special shape that he can't make and the dealer will have to do it.

Do you think the dealer will be able to replace just the line? Or will this be a $$$ dealer repair where they want to replace the whole master cylinder?

Last edited:
Any mechanic should be able to make a new brake line from scratch. Using Copper Nickel alloy line makes it easier as it is super easy to bend. Reuse fittings if they are good or get new M10x1.0mm ones. Double inverted flares (not bubble).

Local shops can also make you brake lines if you bring in a piece of coat hanger in the shape you want as well. Lot's of options if you have more time than money to spend at the dealer.

6C23A3C1-CC2A-4CA4-8767-8B0193B698A6.jpeg

Any mechanic should be able to make a new brake line from scratch. Using Copper Nickel alloy line makes it easier as it is super easy to bend. Reuse fittings if they are good or get new M10x1.0mm ones. Double inverted flares (not bubble).

Local shops can also make you brake lines if you bring in a piece of coat hanger in the shape you want as well. Lot's of options if you have more time than money to spend at the dealer.

Thanks! It's frustrating that my mechanic declined to make the brake line. He's honest and affordable but this is the second time he has declined to make a repair for me. Time to find someone else, I guess.

I do have a brake line cutter and double flare tool in my workshop, but it's around 100 miles away from where I currently live.

Some mechanics can make more money fixing cars than fabbing. If you know the length of the brake line you need I can make you a piece and ship it to you. You would then hand bend it for your needs. If you are desperate...

Dealer just called with their price. Two lines need replacing - one that failed and another that isn't looking so good. And then a full flush of the system.

$80 parts and materials, 3 hours labor for $430 total. Not so bad I think, especially considering bringing the car anywhere else would require paying for another tow.

Dealer just called with their price. Two lines need replacing - one that failed and another that isn't looking so good. And then a full flush of the system.

$80 parts and materials, 3 hours labor for $430 total. Not so bad I think, especially considering bringing the car anywhere else would require paying for another tow.

I'm glad it's getting fixed for a price you're willing to pay.

If you pinch off a brake line you can limp home or to another shop.
A metal line can be bent over and crimped, a rubber line can be clamped with vise grips.
Obviously this is a last ditch "I need to get home to watch The Wheel of Fortune" kinda thing, this is NOT a drive it and forget about it solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom