Rust mitigation - Before and After (Honey Seal/Dry Ice/Vapor Honing) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As promised - here's pics:

1634853542811.png

1634853554266.png

1634853564647.png

1634853597264.png

1634853606557.png

Work performed by Sublime Surfacing (3hrs north of me in Edmonton, Canada)

Cost $2300CDN. Undercarriage alone is about $1700, but I also had the front and rear bumpers removed, engine bay cleaned and wheel well liners removed/treated.

Process takes a couple days, and then a couple more to let the product cure. This is a fairly novel business, but I expect to see dry ice/vapor honing to increase in popularity given how busy Sublime Surfacing is.

A friend of mine bought the equip ($100k+) to do this process locally in Calgary, but he mainly focuses on aircooled porsches (dry ice blasting is especially effective at removing Cosmoline from undercarriages).

That's pretty damn impressive!

Wow! I'm almost ready to ship my truck to the body shop for paint and this would be awesome for cleaning up the underside. Mine looks similar to the "before" photos. I hope there's someone in Vancouver that can do this at a similar price!!

I have a firm believe that doing it this way is a waste of money. There is a ton of overlapping parts that have a lot of rust in between that you just can't get to without taking everything apart. Rust never stops and keeps on chewing underneath. In just a year or so it will start to bubble up the new paint from the edges.
A good steam wash and spraying with rust inhibiting wax is a fraction of the price and has about the same effect.

I started a thread going into detail where rust starts, where it is most apparent. where is it invisible and where you just can't get without some disassembling - 100 series physical dissection and rust case study - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-series-physical-dissection-and-rust-case-study.1221938/

The least they could do for the money they charged you is remove the fuel tank and clean it's skid plate on the other side. It takes like 10 minutes and is in a much worse shape than what you see from underneath.
I hope they at least pressure washed inside the chassis rails and waxed in there. Chassis rust from the inside out.
Good thing is yours didn't look too bad to begin with.

Sorry to be so negative, it's just that those people know what they are doing and they rip people off.

I have a firm believe that doing it this way is a waste of money. There is a ton of overlapping parts that have a lot of rust in between that you just can't get to without taking everything apart. Rust never stops and keeps on chewing underneath. In just a year or so it will start to bubble up the new paint from the edges.
A good steam wash and spraying with rust inhibiting wax is a fraction of the price and has about the same effect.

I started a thread going into detail where rust starts, where it is most apparent. where is it invisible and where you just can't get without some disassembling - 100 series physical dissection and rust case study - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-series-physical-dissection-and-rust-case-study.1221938/

The least they could do for the money they charged you is remove the fuel tank and clean it's skid plate on the other side. It takes like 10 minutes and is in a much worse shape than what you see from underneath.
I hope they at least pressure washed inside the chassis rails and waxed in there. Chassis rust from the inside out.
Good thing is yours didn't look too bad to begin with.

Sorry to be so negative, it's just that those people know what they are doing and they rip people off.

I would tend to agree - especially with a conventional rubberized coating, what you describe is a reality. I also think the only way to start completely fresh is pulling the cab off the frame, removing all components and doing an acid dip or equivalent process followed by fresh paint etc - but this process, especially if you're not doing it yourself, could easily exceed $10-15k.

I'm happy to guinea pig this product/process, which is quite a bit different than just spraying a tar-based undercoat product on the undercarriage. Our roads are treated with brine and salt throughout the winter, it should be apparent within a year or two whether the treatment was worth it and holds up. If I can mitigate further corrosion and add 10yrs to the service life of the vehicle by slowing a rust death, I think it's worth it.

If you're interested in discussing the process, you can reach out to Ted @ Sublime Surfacing here. Lots of photos of his work as well - he's done dozens of vehicles:

Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/sublimesurfacing/?hl=en

Here's an example of the type of undercoating that just causes problems:

Last edited:
Yeah update please.

I googled this and found a guy in my area (fullerton) who does this and he had great pics of a lx470 they did that was crusty like mine. The before and after was quite impressive but he quoted 6k. That felt like a lot

I follow them on Instagram. They have hundreds of photos. I would have to drive over the peace bridge to Toronto. As someone who’s spent far so many hours under my cars this looks like a good option. Yes, yes there is rust in cracks and between joints. But we’re mitigating.

I'm planning on heading up there sometime in the near future to get my tundra done. I'll post before and after pictures when I do. I'm trying to figure out a week that I can be without the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom