Rust!! I might’ve made a mistake. (Thread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I mean....like I said, Toyotas are famous for rusting, you were buying from a rusty state, and you didn't ask for 10000000 pics?

Just curious.

I say, as long as the frame is ok, then spray 2 gallons of fluid film EVERYWHERE underneath and inside the frame every year and drive it.

I mean....like I said, Toyotas are famous for rusting, you were buying from a rusty state, and you didn't ask for 10000000 pics?

Just curious.

I say, as long as the frame is ok, then spray 2 gallons of fluid film EVERYWHERE underneath and inside the frame every year and drive it.

Thanks for your question. First, I did get all the pics I asked for. There were several dozen. The pictures provided by the dealer did not reveal the extent of the rust I found later upon personal inspection and professional inspection. If I give the full benefit of the doubt and I rule out some sort of nefarious business practice (which has certainly crossed my mind), my discoveries are likely because:
1) the dealer did not really know what to look for as compared to a shop that specializes in LCs.
2) the dealer was probably a little casual with the photos they provided because them being from a rust-state, never really took the rust too seriously. This attitude is likely reflected in the images and storytelling they provided. Make sense?

Lastly, thanks for the advice and the encouragement. 🍻🍻

Better yet, just dig a large hole about 3 foot deep, fill it up with Fluid film, and drive through it with the your Land Cruiser, one and done. Now go out and enjoy!
HEY!!! NOW YOU'RE TALKIN'!! Haha!

giphy.gif

Toyotas are famous for rusting from day 1
I mean....like I said, Toyotas are famous for rusting
This is just not true. Stop peddling such idiocy. Toyota had an issue with the 2000-2010 frames on Tacomas, Tundras, and Sequoias, which had absolutely nothing to do with Toyota quality and everything to do with Dana, who made the frames right here in the US (Toyota won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against Dana over this). The fact is that every vehicle regardless of manufacturer has, does, and will rust to $hit if subjected to the road and environmental conditions present in the Northeast, Midwest, and coasts for extended periods of time without regular application of rust-preventative as part of annual maintenance.

@insertcoin that is a bummer, but I am inclined to agree with their diagnosis. Other people use vehicles differently, so as long as another buyer knows how they want to use it and are OK with the rust I'd be OK selling it on.

There are plenty of people; particularly in rust belt states that wouldn't be put off by the rust; particularly as they are going to use it around town or for a winter driving rig.

To me, owning our land cruiser is for the benefit of both long-term ownership and (if preventative maintenance is done) the extreme reliability when I am in places when a tow isn't feasible, or would be extremely costly and a massive inconvenience. We would own something else if those weren't the priority as there are many other good cars that can get us around town just fine. Just my $.02.

I do hope that you are able to find a good resolution.

Last edited:
This is just not true. Stop peddling such idiocy. Toyota had an issue with the 2000-2010 frames on Tacomas, Tundras, and Sequoias, which had absolutely nothing to do with Toyota quality and everything to do with Dana, who made the frames right here in the US (Toyota won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against Dana over this). The fact is that every vehicle regardless of manufacturer has, does, and will rust to $hit if subjected to the road and environmental conditions present in the Northeast, Midwest, and coasts for extended periods of time without regular application of rust-preventative as part of annual maintenance.

Na dude. All truth. 3rd gen 4 runner frames rusted just as bad as Tacomas, but Toyota didn't include them in the recall. Just because it doesn't make national headlines doesn't mean it isn't happening. 60 and 62 frames rust from the inside out, just like tacomas and 4 runners. Way before 2000-2010.

Toyota should have said to its top tier world wide global 1 supplier 'use this coating' or 'show us the testing' on the frames. Toyota builds the cars and takes the hit when things go sideways. 10 years!? WTF. Sure, Dana had a hand in it, but Joe Q Public isn't buying a 'Dana' frame. You think your mom blames her Camry's wheel bearing manufacturer when it goes bad too early?

200 series are rusting quick. They still haven't fixed the issue.

Sure, salt is a killer, but its proven that some manufacturers do at least SOMETHING to help, while others don't.

There have definitely been some issues with metallurgy and rustproofing on the J60s/55s/40s and first gen Tacomas. Toyota is far from the only manufacturer to have had these problems though.

J80s and J100s seem to hold up pretty well all in all; it takes a lot to actually compromise them structurally.

I hadn't heard of any rust issues with the 200 series.

the frames on 80s and 100s are much sturdier and thicker metal than the Tacomas and 4Runners. They still rust, but even in really bad cases they dont usually break in half like the Tacomas did
Yeah the frame on my old 98 Taco was pathetically weak. It'd actually flex when I jacked it up. Not to mention it was rotting from the inside in true Tacoma fashion.

That was a fun truck, but I'm glad to have my LC now with a proper truck frame.

I have a v8 4Runner with NE rust and bought it with it years ago. Part of the reason it was only 5800, and the inside was so clean. Sure it’ll get retired soon, but the point of it was cheap 4x4 that I don’t feel bad driving up though Vermont and New Hampshire multiple times from Nov-April.

The 4R frame looked way better than the Taco a friend was trying to save. I think Dana did more of a number on the Toyota brand personally. Most 4Rs I’ve seen ‘rotted’ were clearly abused (salt water, no attempt to wash/clean underside during winter, no treatment on chassis etc) anything will rust in the NE if you just leave it outside.

My biggest gripe is the box aspect of it because you can’t get in to clean and seal it.

Anyway I have been looking for a Hundy to replace my salty 4R. While I have been searching for a clean rust free 100, it’s going to get ran through NE snow every year. That fact alone makes me feel guilty about shipping or driving a clean 100 up here.

What are other salt belt guys doing? Buying beaters in the area and doing what you can till it’s finally dead or bringing in a clean Hundy and gallons of sealer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom