Rust advice: Where rear suspension part connects to frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here are a couple pics of my 2017 GX 460 with about 34k miles. The part of the frame where the rear suspension part (pardon my ignorance) connects is flaking off paint. I put my hand inside the hole and I can feel metal or paint flaking off as well, particularly down that center seam. I struck the part a few times with a broom handle and it seems to be solid. But since this holds a suspension piece, do I need to be concerned that this part of the frame may fail soon? Does the scaling (or paint flaking) on the inside indicate that this part of the frame needs to be fixed before Fluid Filming? And of course, I'm going to a shop to Fluid Film soon. Appreciate your thoughts in advance.

IMG_0848.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg

I would not worry much about what you see here. This rust is really nothing. But i would consider power washing and then hitting it with some Rustoleum in the spring. Next fall (and every fall after) have the bottom of your vehicle treated with Fluid Film or Waxoil and you won’t need to worry about those salty Chicago winters again.

I would not be too worried either, but agree with a Fluid Film or Woolwax application ASAP (inside and outside the frame), and then yearly afterwards. You could also touch up that area with a wire wheel or brush to remove the loose rust prior to the undercoating application.

FYI - I prefer Woolwax for outside the frame and Fluid Film for inside the frame. It's an easy DIY application job with a air compressor and the Woolwax gun.

I would not be too worried either, but agree with a Fluid Film or Woolwax application ASAP (inside and outside the frame), and then yearly afterwards. You could also touch up that area with a wire wheel or brush to remove the loose rust prior to the undercoating application.

FYI - I prefer Woolwax for outside the frame and Fluid Film for inside the frame. It's an easy DIY application job with a air compressor and the Woolwax gun.
Thanks @Rednexus, really appreciate the feedback. That's reassuring and will do.

I would not worry much about what you see here. This rust is really nothing. But i would consider power washing and then hitting it with some Rustoleum in the spring. Next fall (and every fall after) have the bottom of your vehicle treated with Fluid Film or Waxoil and you won’t need to worry about those salty Chicago winters again.
Thanks @stonepa, that helps put me at ease and I'll get on it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom