Running Boards Hardware Schedule? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to make quick work of installing some mid '70s running boards on a J40. Can someone help me with a schedule of fasteners (diameter,pitch,length, and qty.) needed to attach them to the rocker panels and frame extension? I can't conveniently get to the truck right now.

According to the fiche, the horizontal bolts which connect the step to the body are:
1669223108292.png

which, if memory serves, makes them M8x16-mm long. My secret decoder ring says the last 5 digits describe the fastener: position 1 is the torque class, postisions 2-3 are the diameter, and positions 4-5 are the length. Metric screws are all coarse threads, unless explicitly specified otherwise.

You also need washers and M8 nuts. The grade 4 designation works out to SAE grade 5 or ISO 8.8; the pitch is irrelevant as long as the nuts match the bolts. These are $0.75 from Toyota.

1669223274913.png

Last edited:
And for 90112-10007?
Yeah, that one's harder. Toyota has two part number systems; one is position specific and meant to be human readable, the other isn't.

It's a safe be it's about the same size as the other, which means M10x 35-mm long, SAE gr. 5/ISO 8.8. The length isn't critical; as long as it gets out of the cushion/washers/nut stack, you're good. It also needs a nut, lockwasher and flat washer to suit. The cushion substitute would be a rubber/polyurethane square, 1/4" thick (ish), probably Shore 40-80 would work.

I also edited the previous bolt grade, which was totally wrong. I had a brain fart this morning.

Last edited:
Yeah, that one's harder. Toyota has two part number systems; one is position specific and meant to be human readable, the other isn't.

It's a safe be it's about the same size as the other, which means M10x 35-mm long, SAE gr. 5/ISO 8.8. The length isn't critical; as long as it gets out of the cushion/washers/nut stack, you're good. It also needs a nut, lockwasher and flat washer to suit. The cushion substitute would be a rubber/polyurethane square, 1/4" thick (ish), probably Shore 40-80 would work.

I also edited the previous bolt grade, which was totally wrong. I had a brain fart this morning.

Longer threads on the carriage bolt would allow adding double nuts to hold bolt while loosening the original nut. Carriage bolt is secured in the sheet metal channel and have been known to spin in the sheet metal. Longer threads risk possible damage off road. If you can loosen the carriage bolt at all with the front fender remove the can slide the running board forward to get out without getting the nut all the way off.
IMG_20180804_080821547.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom