Rubithon 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have spoken with a few of you guys and thought I would post up here since more Capital guys look like they are thinking of going. I know we are all still glowing in what was a GREAT Fall Crawl!, but this trip will need some logistics to be figured out and I wanted to get the ball rolling.

Options are tow out and wheel or fly out and catch a ride. Might have others as well. (at least one lucky guys gets a rental)

I have talked with the Rubithon chairman and he is excited to have an East Coast presence. He presented me with options for those of us towing out and where to drop our tow rigs and trailers. I know some have been out before, some have read about it, I think we have all dreamed about it! This is the Grand Daddy of them all. A bucket list item to say the least. I plan on doing it in a FJ40, actually the little blue one I had at FC.

As with most trips, this one should push you to get your rig in top shape. One way in, one way out, no parts stores along the way. One will need to be prepped well and be able to carry gear and provisions for 4-5 days.

Here is a link to the 2019 info: JOIN US FOR THE 31ST ANNUAL RUBITHON - Rubithon

Most people have to put in for vacation at the first of the year, so think about it and see if it is something you can do. I am not sure we will get a group this size again to go out.

If you want to go or are thinking about it, please post up, show us or tell us what you want to take out and how you need to take it out, or if you have a seat to ride in.

I have confirmed that I will tow a double and take mine and Gary S.'s FJ40 out. Yes Gary will have his FJ40 delivered out to the event to wheel!

Thanks,
Rob

Please go to this thread in the Keystone clubhouse to make notes. Rubithon 2020

They started one first!

Last edited:
I'm very interested as we discussed at FC. Looking to fly and ride shotgun.

I'm definitely interested! Would need to ride passenger with someone. Offering to help someone that is driving out as well with seat time and cost obviously. Would fly back

Please follow this link to Keystone to keep this discussion going so it is all in one place.

Thanks

Hmmm... how many 40's can I get on a 24 ft gooseneck trailer?...

I’m thinking your only fitting 2 on a 25’

I’m thinking your only fitting 2 on a 25’
Yeah but if the first one would "wheel" it's front up on the gooseneck arms. I might be able to get 3 since they allow a 18" overhang to the rear but then the weight starts to creep up on the 26K cap. Then I'm sure the DOT would obliterate you on a 3K trip across the US.

Also I refuse to commit to ANYTHING since I am 0-2 on events and then having the 40 take a dump shortly thereafter.

Last edited:
You don’t need to comment. Your Truck and trailer only has to commit. :)

Ya I think it is more weight than size. I think a built 40 like mine or Stumps is pushing 6000 - 7000 lbs. fully loaded with spares and camping gear, maybe more I’ve never weighed mine.

Reading self help books again, Lex?

I think Blowers is a good bit heavy on his assessment. My heavily armored forty I put on the scale years ago at Vulcan materials near my house. It was under 4000 lbs although that is a V8 with automatic tranny. The engine is lighter but tranny heavier, so I think 2 tons is about right for a built 40. Stock they are listed at 3400 lbs curb weight and that’s with top and doors. I think even packed with spares and gear you would be hard pressed to total 5000 lbs. That seems logical too as my Tundra and 2500 Silverado weigh about 6000 and I’m on scales all the time with them. These are numbers I can say pretty confidently.

good call... my 40 loaded for CO (and I had everything except a spare spring pin) was less than 4600 lbs

I think Blowers is a good bit heavy on his assessment. My heavily armored forty I put on the scale years ago at Vulcan materials near my house. It was under 4000 lbs although that is a V8 with automatic tranny. The engine is lighter but tranny heavier, so I think 2 tons is about right for a built 40. Stock they are listed at 3400 lbs curb weight and that’s with top and doors. I think even packed with spares and gear you would be hard pressed to total 5000 lbs. That seems logical too as my Tundra and 2500 Silverado weigh about 6000 and I’m on scales all the time with them. These are numbers I can say pretty confidently.

After thinking about these numbers you are correct @Tikicruiser they are high. If my cruiser was 6000 lbs it would put my trailer over weight.

But I still don’t think you could fit more than 2 on a 25’ trailer.

It will be nice to get a head count but I am sure it will depend on when the dates are released. I hate to say but I think I am going to finish building Lynchburg Lemonade for the this trip. If it does well there, it should do well most anywhere. This may be a in todays' words "overlanding" build. But I still call it camping out of your rig! :)

Post a pic of Lynchburg Lemonade please.

Post a pic of Lynchburg Lemonade please.

For those who have driven the Rubicon Trail are there any bypasses for the more difficult obstacles? What is the minimum / recommended build you would suggest prior to attempting the Rubicon Trail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom