RTH!!! Pulling my hear out with these brakes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So did braekes today. All four corners, got to the last one and used my pliers just like on all the other wheels just like i've done countless times to push the piston back in so that i can get the caliper back on. I squeeze it and feel the piston go back in, look at it and it seems to be in so i try to fit it back onto the bracket. It's about a quarter inch short of goin on. Why will the piston not go all the way in? I've really put some pressure on it but it still wont go all the way in.

Please help me!!!!

And thank you.

Are you trying to stuff the caliper back on with the pads at the same time?? Front or rear caliper? Is one piston fully extended? Not the expert but IME it's much easier to push the pistons back while the caliper is mounted; I use the rotor as the lever point using a prybar against the pistons. I've also cracked open the cap of the fluid reservior and if that doesn't work I've cracked open the bleed screw on that caliper.

Yeah i hear ya on the pry bar just dont have one. I have a big ass pair of channel locks though and they usually do the job just fine. Cracked the master cylinder to no avail. Dont wanna crack the bleed screw cause i'm afraid that it will strip. Been squeezing this thing all day. Its just weird that it will go in all but that last quarter inch.

Anyone else with an idea?

was there abnormal wear on that one when you took off the pads? If not you can try pushing pedal (preferably have someone else push while you watch) and watch the piston come out....not too far and try compressing again using a big c-clamp will deliver more pressure). If you are going to be bleeding everything you can try to loosen up the bleeder to releave built up pressure.... If no help I would say its time for a new caliper..maybe its getting hung up.

Yes there was abnormal wear but it was not because of the caliper. The pad that is away from the piston was stuck and caused the pad on the piston side to wear fast. Fixed the sticking issue on the pad away from the piston and got both pads on the bracket. I even did what you mentioned about pushing the piston partially out and recompressing it however, it just went in the same amount and i still have a quarter inch to go.

I'd love to get this done tonight this is the only vehicle i have. I have been trying to get this thing back in since i got home from work today, i've tried about everything i know.

is there anything that the piston could catch on or anything like that?

not really. did you try cracking the bleeder? If your by yourself you can just let it gravity bleed after for a little while.

Well i didnt get the piston back in any further but i did take the best pads from the two rear sides and was able to get them on. This will work till after work tomorrow at least. Test run went smoothly everything seems to work the way it should other than that one piston not going all the way in.

Thanks for the help everyone. If i figure anything out i'll post back up

Ther's a score or a burr/corrosion
in there- use a c-clamp -shot of PB blaster..

Thanks i'll do that sometime this weekend, didnt thing of that.
Thanks for the help everyone.

IMO I wouldn't use any penetrating oil around a caliper, especially PB Blaster which attacks and swells rubber, which could make it even harder to remove or move the piston if the rubber O-ring that seals the piston swells up. FWIW when I tried to rebuild a caliper a couple of years ago I found a black gummy residue on the pistons (from the rubber O-rings I think) which made it extremely difficult to remove the pistons, one never came out.

Last edited:
Large C clamp(s) and the old pads for compressing pistons. I thought everybody did it that way.

X3 as I stated above
was there abnormal wear on that one when you took off the pads? If not you can try pushing pedal (preferably have someone else push while you watch) and watch the piston come out....not too far and try compressing again using a big c-clamp will deliver more pressure). If you are going to be bleeding everything you can try to loosen up the bleeder to releave built up pressure.... If no help I would say its time for a new caliper..maybe its getting hung up.

Large C clamp(s) and the old pads for compressing pistons. I thought everybody did it that way.

x2000000

By using the channel locks on one piston, you may have pushed it in at enough of an angle to have stopped where it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom