RTH: did I just screw up by using Permatex #2 as a "gasket" on metal to metal contact? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Took apart a small engine yesterday. Had to improvise sealing to prevent an oil leak. Ran out of silicone gasket maker but had some old Permatex #2 gasket dressing, the old style black horrible tacky stuff that ends up everywhere. Used that between the 2 machined surfaces (crankcase cover and block) without an actual physical gasket. Now, thinking about this some more, I'm thinking that may have been a mistake and I may have effectively glued the 2 together. The cover was already hard to take off, with tight fit and few bosses to tap, this won't help.
Should I back off and separate the 2 ASAP if I still can or am I good to go you think?
(Could not get through Permatex tech support...)
TIA!

I don't like Permatex #2 myself, but it is supposed to be non-hardening, so I don't see a huge problem, if it sealed the leak.

Looks like it's holding oil in now but still too early to tell for sure. But I still would want to be able to open it up later on without having to damage the mating surfaces by prying.
I also have some #1 -the hardening type- but I used the #2 thinking it'd be less likely to cause trouble later on.
I am doing a test with some aluminum coupons with #2. Will let it be for a few days and see how difficult it will be to separate them.

added: well, at least after 1 day (nominal full cure time), the coupons could still be separated, although it took a bit of tugging. More later on.

Last edited:
Well, to my surprise and relief, after about a week of curing, the crankcase cover came right off with no effort at all. If anything, it was much easier than when I removed it after having been installed on dry for a couple of years. Of course, that does not mean the permatex would not have glued the bits on after a long time, but so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom