routing of choke cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
85 FJ 60 - anyone have a picture of how the choke cable gets routed to stock carb?

No picture, but from what I remember when I replaced mine, it takes a wicked turn toward the right after exiting the firewall (be careful not to kink the cable when doing that), runs along the firewall a few inches away, and then swings back to approach the rear, passenger side of the carb. I kept it as high as possible to keep it away from the hot metal bits--my old one failed at the spot right over the manifold.

Thanks Jman -- i can mentally imagine the picture you're paining here.

Post a pic of your engine and I'll draw it out for you. Sorry, sold the 60 or I would do it.

Dug one up of an engine swap I helped out on. The path of the cable is highlighted in yellow, but droops down because....there is no engine! :D Anyway, right where the cable bends back to the right in the pic, is where you should find clips on the side of the air cleaner. Then it ends up right next to the carb. Good luck, :banana: install tops!

awesome....believe it or not my truck looks exactly like this right now. right in the middle of an engine rebuild. it's just that last time we installed the choke cable it never felt right so i've been curious if we routed it correctly. I'll save this picture for when i finish up the job.

thanks a bunch.

Hey Safado, thanks, that's a "two-fer"! Now I can see where the speedo cable drops down (see my other post) and it definitely needs to go under the tranny.

Anyway, as you can see from the heat shields, that area gets kinda hot, so I would keep the cable higher rather than lower to avoid heat-induced corrosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom