rounded bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

T

tnt40

Whats the best way to take out rounded bolts? If you use a torch, what piece do you heat? The bolt or the part it's threaded in to? I've used PB Blaster on it also. your thoughts?

CDefault-327.jpg

These work if it's not too far gone...

Hmm. Never come across one of those before. What is it called and what do you do with it?

For round head bolts, I often end up drilling them out. I have occasionally used a hammer-driver successfully. A Vise-Grip will sometimes help, if you can get a good bite. I would heat the screw itself the best you can. OR, you can drill them out. :D

The ratchet or breaker bar goes in the spot up top...you slide the whole unit down onto it...the knurled circle turns inwards into the stud and grips it, in theory, the harder the stud is to twist, the harder it grips....you can get them at sears, they work well but we have indeed had to break out the drill on occasion!

I have one of those and IIRC the box said "stud puller" but not sure.
Another way I've removed 'em is to weld a nut or bolt to it and wrench it out. This gives you a way to get a grip on it and also applys some heat to the situation to help break things loose.

I have a set of the Craftsman bolt removers. They work great! I do soak them with PB before hand though.

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=10471;start=msg93731#msg93731 date=1074740247]
Another way I've removed 'em is to weld a nut or bolt to it and wrench it out. This gives you a way to get a grip on it and also applys some heat to the situation to help break things loose.
[/quote]

I have found this works best as well. It also works well if the head of the bolt is snapped off.

If you've got enough room, take a sharp chisel and a hammer and put a notch on one side of the head. Then pound at a 45deg angle to work it out. (had to do this on my front diff fill bolt)

Or you could try pounding the next smaller size socket onto the bolt head. It's all about pounding :D

Tack weld an old wrench to the nut.

Thanks for your input. I went and bought a bolt/nut remover set of sockets(5 sizes). This set was made by Irwin(craftsman has them also). I remove 2/3 of the bolts(1 snap the head off). Not a bad solution for 20 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom