round-up time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Charles, It was good talking to you. One of these days you'll have to come down and wheel Hidden Falls with us. Good place, 3000(+-) acres of go just about anywhere.

W. L., likewise. I'd like to see Hidden Falls one of these days.

hah hah ha you very funny charles :).
maybe one day i will build a new buggy and we can wheel again. i still remember school bus at gsmtr when you road down the hill on your front tires. me and Jason were both in ah. good times.

I remember doing Klunetic (K1) with you when you had the grasshopper. That was alot of fun.

Also, remember the rain at GSMTR. You and Jason got very wet.

Look forward to wheeling with you again when you get your buggy.

Here are a couple of pics. Notice the bearing against the pressure plate...

sorry to hear about your ongoing clutch troubles luis........:frown:

i thought you have the mark's adapter bell housing in the cruiser?! sure does'nt look like it in the pics. now i'm bummed that i did'nt get to check it out when i was in TX. sorry dude!

as for the failure, i've seen this a few times. it's either due to the spout on the front bearing retainer getting damaged during shipping ( that's why cdan won't ship H55Fs anymore ) or while being transported or something dropped on the input.
the other scenario that can cause the spout to break off is pressure plate failure ( bent or worn thru fingers on the diaphram ) or a failed throw-out bearing. usually this can be prevented since it'll make noise for a long time before the spout cracks off. this type of failure is really due to owner neglect. it the vehicle is telling you to "stop and see what's wrong", then you outta do so asap. i'm not saying that this was the case here but i have witnessed it first hand. another mudder brought his 60 to me a couple of years ago on his way home from buying it and the spoit was broken. pure neglect in that case; clutch fingers were literally worn thru.

i would assume that the failure in this case might be attributed to the spout having been damaged before the trans was ever installed in the cruiser. never ever support a trans by the spount on the input. never!

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

I WISH!

The front output shaft on the h55 broke. Mark Algazy was the one who noticed it. He said in his 30 years of working on Cruisers, he never seen one brake like that.

fwiw, it's not the input gear that broke as mark suggested, it's the spout on the front bearing retainer where the thorw-out bearing rides. i have never seen an input break off. if it did, there's no way the truck would move another inch under it's own power. :wrench:

fwiw, the front bearing retainer on the late h42s is the same as the one on the h55f. i might have one if you need it. i also stock the gaskets and seals for the h55f seperately. these parts are available at the dealer as well. make sure you take a good look at the sealsurface on the input gear to make sure it was'nt damaged or you might end up with a leak at the input bearing....

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

sorry to hear about your ongoing clutch troubles luis........:frown:

i thought you have the mark's adapter bell housing in the cruiser?! sure does'nt look like it in the pics. now i'm bummed that i did'nt get to check it out when i was in TX. sorry dude!

as for the failure, i've seen this a few times. it's either due to the spout on the front bearing retainer getting damaged during shipping ( that's why cdan won't ship H55Fs anymore ) or while being transported or something dropped on the input.
the other scenario that can cause the spout to break off is pressure plate failure ( bent or worn thru fingers on the diaphram ) or a failed throw-out bearing. usually this can be prevented since it'll make noise for a long time before the spout cracks off. this type of failure is really due to owner neglect. it the vehicle is telling you to "stop and see what's wrong", then you outta do so asap. i'm not saying that this was the case here but i have witnessed it first hand. another mudder brought his 60 to me a couple of years ago on his way home from buying it and the spoit was broken. pure neglect in that case; clutch fingers were literally worn thru.

i would assume that the failure in this case might be attributed to the spout having been damaged before the trans was ever installed in the cruiser. never ever support a trans by the spount on the input. never!

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

Thanks Georg,

It has been around 20-30K miles since the vortec/h55 conversion... since day-1, the clutch has been rattling, I took it to Randy and he added a spring and said a chevy clutch fork should fix the rattle. as I have said in other posts, I've have to adjust clutch multiple times since then and lately more and more frequently to the point I can no longer adjust it. I guess tranny/clutch needs to come off for inspection.

fwiw, it's not the input gear that broke as mark suggested, it's the spout on the front bearing retainer where the thorw-out bearing rides. i have never seen an input break off. if it did, there's no way the truck would move another inch under it's own power. :wrench:

fwiw, the front bearing retainer on the late h42s is the same as the one on the h55f. i might have one if you need it. i also stock the gaskets and seals for the h55f seperately. these parts are available at the dealer as well. make sure you take a good look at the sealsurface on the input gear to make sure it was'nt damaged or you might end up with a leak at the input bearing....

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

The tranny now has a massive leak but seems to be coming from where the t-case mates to the tranny.

Thanks again,
Luis

that's gotta be frustrating! was the h55f new when installed along with the swap? i assume the t-case was rebuilt as well?

georg

that's gotta be frustrating! was the h55f new when installed along with the swap? i assume the t-case was rebuilt as well?

georg

Tranny was brand new. Transfer case should have been rebuilt but two new speedo driven gears have gone out and I found a metal chunk stuck to the 2nd one that went out; I don't think this should have happened after a rebuild? see pic in link... https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...er-gear-problems-again-look-what-i-found.html

Thanks,
Luis

say Luis are you taking it back to him or are you planing on fixing it your self? like i told you i would help you do it on some weekend if you want. we can do it on the lift. let me know. i owe you some thing for that part you gave me. so don't fill like your asking to much for my help.

say Luis are you taking it back to him or are you planing on fixing it your self? like i told you i would help you do it on some weekend if you want. we can do it on the lift. let me know. i owe you some thing for that part you gave me. so don't fill like your asking to much for my help.

Hey Edwin, He was supposed to send a flatbed for my truck but I am seriously debating whether to do it myself or not. I will let you know in the next day or so. thanks alot for the offer. Luis

Hey Edwin, He was supposed to send a flatbed for my truck but I am seriously debating whether to do it myself or not. I will let you know in the next day or so. thanks alot for the offer. Luis

Luis,

That is a tough call. Not sure if I would trust Randy to do it right this time around. Will the truck come back with more problems?

Charles

hey luis.
thanks for posting a link to the speedo gear issue. that sure looks like a piece of stamped sheet metal to me. there are only a couple of items in these t-cases made from that material:
1) front output bearing slinger ( doubt it failed )
2) both the oil funnels
3) the oil slinger on the idler gear
i would suspect that one of the two later options is the cause of the problem. either way, i would find out what it is before it's too late. given the amount of issues you've had with the truck since the swap was done, i'd be leary to take it back to whoever did the job originally. so far i'm aware of three issues with the cruiser that should'nt have happened in the first place. none of them give me any confidence that the work was done properly or with much care. and that really sucks. i know that most of us try to do the job as best we can and with pride......
anyhow, given the issues with the trans, clutch and t-case i'd say it's time for the combo to come out. i would take edwin up on his offer and do it at his shop. you'll be in good hands and everything you need should be available to you there, including edwin's knowledge which counts for a lot.
i'll be more than happy to help with whatever i can, be it parts or technical know-how. i have a lot of t-case and transmission parts as well as all the gaskets and seals on hand. let me know what you need and can't get locally and i'll make it happen. i still owe you as well, really appreciate your effort to get those fuel cans for us.
don't hesitate to call!!!!!! :)
hth
georg

Luis,

That is a tough call. Not sure if I would trust Randy to do it right this time around. Will the truck come back with more problems?

Charles

Agree. That's why I was not sure if I wanted to do it myself or not... too many things have gone wrong.

hey luis.
thanks for posting a link to the speedo gear issue. that sure looks like a piece of stamped sheet metal to me. there are only a couple of items in these t-cases made from that material:
1) front output bearing slinger ( doubt it failed )
2) both the oil funnels
3) the oil slinger on the idler gear
i would suspect that one of the two later options is the cause of the problem. either way, i would find out what it is before it's too late. given the amount of issues you've had with the truck since the swap was done, i'd be leary to take it back to whoever did the job originally. so far i'm aware of three issues with the cruiser that should'nt have happened in the first place. none of them give me any confidence that the work was done properly or with much care. and that really sucks. i know that most of us try to do the job as best we can and with pride......
anyhow, given the issues with the trans, clutch and t-case i'd say it's time for the combo to come out. i would take edwin up on his offer and do it at his shop. you'll be in good hands and everything you need should be available to you there, including edwin's knowledge which counts for a lot.
i'll be more than happy to help with whatever i can, be it parts or technical know-how. i have a lot of t-case and transmission parts as well as all the gaskets and seals on hand. let me know what you need and can't get locally and i'll make it happen. i still owe you as well, really appreciate your effort to get those fuel cans for us.
don't hesitate to call!!!!!! :)
hth
georg

Georg, thanks for the info and the offer to help... I will probably take edwin up on his offer to help.

Keep ya'll posted & thanks again.

Luis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom