ROTW - TurboCruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, I wanted to write that this ROTW feature is fabulous; I have loved looking at all the absolutely awesome rigs featured throughout this series!

Second, I wanted to write out some special thanks to some special people … Dad who helped hook me on cars in general (everything from cool muscle cars to Mercedes classic coupes), to cruisers in specific (he had 80 series and 100 series) – thanks Dad!!! Brother who always aggravated me for my attempts at “perfect perfectionism” when it came to cars; this indeed inspired me to perfect that perfectionism just to aggravate him in return – thanks Brother!!! Thanks to the fine folks at Slee who have helped immensely with awesome advice, amazing products, and awesome service at all times; my rig really exists as it is through the fine folks at Slee. And lastly, thanks to “Dan the Man” who sells me sweet parts at sweet prices – thanks Dan!!!

Like most of our other members rigs featured so far, my rig represents part of who I am in general and part of what I want in an amazingly versatile offroad vehicle in specific. Although most of what I want is installed at this point, the rig, like all our awesome rigs, is a work in waiting at all times. I have always attempted to emphasize the “amazingly versatile” as written above; my rig is not intended to be the best extreme rock crawler cruiser (Slee’s Short Bus for example) or the best extreme rocket racer cruiser (Bin Sulayem’s 800 bhp twin turbo cruiser for example) and yet it kicks ass in all but the most extreme of either style.

Anyway without further wait:

Vehicle: 1997 FZJ80 Land Cruiser, Factory Locked & Loaded, 140,000 miles.

Major Engine Mods:
Safari Turbocharger
Safari Intercooler
Special NGK Sparkplugs
Turbo Timer
3” Ceramic Coated Ball Mandrel Bent Exhaust Tubing From Turbo Back
3” High Performance/ High Flow Magnaflow Catalytic Converter
3” High Performance/ High Flow Magnaflow Muffler

Major Suspension Mods:
OME 2.5” Heavy Duty Suspension System
Sway Bar Brackets
OME Castor Correction Bushings
Front Double Cardan Driveshaft
33” REVOS

Major Brake Mods:
DBA Slotted & Drilled Rotors Front & Rear
PBR High Performance Pads Front & Rear
Slee Stainless Steel Brake Lines Front & Rear

Major Protection Mods:
ARB Front Bumper
Slee Step Sliders
Slee Transfer Case Skid Plate
Self Made Super Strong Exhaust Skid Plate

Other Minor Mods:
Greddy Coolant Temperature Adaptor & Sensor
Greddy Coolant Temperature Gauge
Garmin GPS System
Alpine Audio System
Uniden Pro 520 XL CB Radio
Center Differential Lock Switch
Center Differential Lock Pin 7 Modification
Auto Meter Boost Gauge
Auto Meter Air/Fuel Gauge
Slee Dual Gauge Pillar Pod
Slee Slider Caps For Flares
Slee Hi-Lift Roof Rack Mounts
Husky Liners All Around
Orbital Battery

Maintenance Method:
Everything you expect from an overly anal retentive worry wart who loves to work on his own rig!!! --- Mobil One everywhere, synthetic brake fluid, synthetic brake grease, most every hose replaced, every belt replaced, most every vacuum line replaced, every filter replaced, cooling system flushed twice annually, brake system flushed once annually, all service intervals strictly followed for “extreme service setting” according to FSM. Lots of leatherique on leather!!!

Future Mods:
Slee Rear Bumper
Warn Winch
Slee Relay Rods

Thanks all!!!

Last edited:
Some Exterior Shots, Sorry You Cannot See The Purple Mountains Majesty In Back!
Truck1.jpg
Truck2.jpg

Some Engine Snapshots...
Engine1.jpg
Engine2.jpg

Last edited:
Some Turbo Shots ...
Turbo1.jpg
Turbo2.jpg
Turbo3.jpg

Last edited:
Some Intercooler Shots ...
Intercooler1.jpg
Intercooler2.jpg
Intercooler3.jpg

Last edited:
Some wheelin shots ...
Wheelin5.jpg
Wheelin4.jpg
Wheelin5parttwo.jpg

Last edited:
Some more mild wheelin shots ...
Wheelin6.jpg
Wheelin6parttwo.jpg
Wheelin7.jpg

Last edited:
Some more mild wheelin, hope you all enjoyed alot, thanks ...
Wheelin8.jpg
Wheelin9.jpg
Wheelin10.jpg

Last edited:
WOW!!!!! Your cruiser is so clean, and the turbo :eek: :eek: ......How many lbs. of boost does that turbo but out, any idea. Oh yeah, I bet you really showed that land rover up when gooing through that trail, ;) ...

Hey turbo'.. can we see pics of the Self Made Super Strong Exhaust Skid Plate later on when you got some time??

cc93cruiser said:
WOW!!!!! Your cruiser is so clean, and the turbo :eek: :eek: ......How many lbs. of boost does that turbo but out, any idea. Oh yeah, I bet you really showed that land rover up when gooing through that trail, ;) ...

Thanks man, I'm running right at 7 pounds of pleasure, prolly can go to ten but trying to show some restraint!!! Thanks again man. :cheers:

cc93cruiser said:
Hey turbo'.. can we see pics of the Self Made Super Strong Exhaust Skid Plate later on when you got some time??

Sure, ... :cheers:
ExhaustSkid1.jpg
ExhaustSkid2.jpg
ExhaustSkid3.jpg

Nicely done Turbo..... :cheers:

Beautiful truck, very clean. :cool:

Engine compartment makes me jealous. :mad:

Nice wheelin shots, glad to see you got the truck out of the mall parking lot. :D

Nice looking truck.

With those engine mods sound like some serious power.

Have you had it on a dyno to see what it puts out

Turbo -
Nice setup!!
How do you keep the engine bay so clean?

Nice write-up and great rig.

LX_TREME said:
No BOV = Blow Off Valve ?
Blow off and bypass valves play a vital role in any turbo system because they not only improve the performance of your vehicle but they also increase the longevity of the turbocharger as well.

Hi LX, as far as i understand it, with low level boost (>10 psi) and an automatic transmission, external blow off valves are not as necessary. Also, as far as i understand it, the Safari turbo has internalized compressor bypass valve (same thing as blow off valve except the excess pressure pushes somewhere safely into the intake system instead of to outside atmosphere), however, I have heard arguments asserting that there is indeed no true CBV as well so who knows? Perhaps the turbo experts can elaborate? The Safari turbo does indeed have internalized wastegate. HTH. :cheers:

reffug said:
Nicely done Turbo..... :cheers:

Beautiful truck, very clean. :cool:

Engine compartment makes me jealous. :mad:

Nice wheelin shots, glad to see you got the truck out of the mall parking lot. :D

Thanks so much man, glad something on my truck makes you jealous considering that your truck is so amazingly awesome and MUST, I repeat, MUST be ROTW sometime!!! Hint Hint Hint!

Yes its good i got the truck out of the mall parking lot ... the security staff were gettin pissed after all the high speed slaloms between the big parking lot lights!!! Mwahahahaha!!! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom