Builds ROTW sseaman (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had planned to do this down the road when more and bigger mods had been made, but it looked like no one was planning to do it for awhile, so here it goes. I had a couple HEEPs in high school and college, but after getting married and having kids the wrangler was gone. A year and half ago my wife and I decided we were going to become debt free and this meant getting rid of the 2 year old Explorer, and finding something to replace it. We are now debt free but our house so mods should really start now. We knew we needed something with 3rd row seating for when the kids want friends to come along, and 4wheel drive for the occasional bad weather. After looking around a little we were down to Suburbans or 80series Land Cruisers, and the decision was easy. I wish I would have found this board before buying, but I think have some car background I made a decent choice. A year and a half ago we bought a 91 with 306k miles on the clock but it drive very well, it now has 316k and I've been slowly doing small mods as well as catching up with the needed maintenance. She is pretty much stock, except the rack I just completed. He is the link to that thread. https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/198048-roof-rack-build.html
This has been a great car, and has lead to meeting a bunch of great people on MUD. We don't do any serious rock crawling, but its nice for getting to camping spots, or when we go caving.

I pickup up a set of Manik steps off of craigslist for $50 to help my 4year old climb in and out, soon i plan for a more rock capable slider.
I've swapped the springs for a newer set from a fellow mud member, and added 1/2" spacers all the way around and netted 3/4" lift.

Future Planned Mods.
33x12.5x15 tires- supposed to look at some this week
OME low lift
Homemade sliders
Second go around for the rear shelf
LC_front_resized.jpg
LC_rear_resized.jpg
LC_side_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the changes i made to the console. I added a padded lid/arm rest to the top of the console, and cut out the front and formed 2 cup holders.(I know its been called ghetto by one member, but it sure functions well)
console_4_resized.jpg
cupholders_resized.jpg
console_2.jpg

I also replaced the 2 overhead lights, and the overhead rear speaker locations with LEDs bought from IKEA. They work wonderfully, and shine some much needed light into the cargo area.
Inside_lights_resized.jpg
inside_rear_light_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Cool write up, man, and a nice beginning to the story....local Nashville cruiser, too!
Joel

Nice canvas you have to work with there. Looks like your mod list is geared to your lifestyle as well. You have to own a Criuser to understand why one would lose a 2 year old Explorer for an 80 with 300K on the ticker as well (not to mention a Class III hitch!). Like the color, don't see alot of them.

Nice to see another of the forgotten early fj80 in the rotw..:cheers:

Looks just like mine. Glad to see another FJ80 in the ROTW. Nice color too. Nice ride.

Nice work man!
Im def liking the aft cargo led's and that sweet roof rack.

ken

wthrwrk;[URL="c2c://3139154" said:
3139154][/URL]Just a hunch, but I am guessing by your location and your debt comment that you’re a Ramsey fan also.
You are correct.

Thanks for the kind words from all of you.

Nice write up.What did you use for the cup holder material?. I also checked out your w/u on the roof rack,nice use of thule mounts.

Dave D

Nice write up.What did you use for the cup holder material?. I also checked out your w/u on the roof rack,nice use of thule mounts.

Dave D

Dave, for the cupholders i used Bondo around some cups, then shaped it with a Dremel. It is finished off with some Hammered paint to match the rest of the dash.

AK, i think it still drives/rides very well, i need to do something about the drivers seat though.

Nice truck! I also spotted you for a Dave Ramsey fan. Must've been the Debt-Free comment.

Debt free...the only way to fly. Nice looking truck and here is to Tennessee...Cheers.

good lookin rig.

and in todays world being debt free is definately a smart move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom