Roof Rack Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought i would post of pic of the progress i have made on my rack, i hope to finish in the next couple of weeks, thanks to those with threads on their racks, its given me alot of ideas on mine
roofrack.jpg

Which gutter brackets did you decide to go with and what did you pay for them?

Nice ! Keep up the pictures so we can see how you made the clamps. The only clamps I seem to be able to find are pretty expensive. I am one of those people who have more time to make stuff than money to buy it also. Are you using electrical conduit as your round stock or something else? Specifically, are you welding galvanized pipe? I, for one cannot afford to lose any more brain cells and have had trouble finding thin walled pipe that isn't galvanized.

the mounts are 1 1/2" angle welded to some 2" flat stock, and i have some 2" aluminum that i've bent for the other half. yes its 3/4" conduit, i try to weld the galvanized stuff in a well ventilated area, and no problems so far. So far i have about $30 into this project, we found some 1" square tubing for .10 a foot, the conduit was a freeby, the biggest items so far was the 2" flat stock, im planning to coat it in some bedliner material, and mount some lights from northern tool on it

Any rack should have wide feet with soft round edges that distribute the pressure along a good length of the gutter in order to not dig into the seam sealer and cause damge (rusty leaky gutters)

looks great!

I like the idea of the square tubing on the bottom, no notching, not even when you attatch the bent round tubes on from the top. Might have to steal some of your ideas!

steal away, just don't take my rack... Yes it is nice not having to notch, im now up to $70, i found my relays, switches, and wire at a closeout store for $1 a piece, and the lights are from northern tool.

Has anyone tried duplicolor's bed liner material?

Wow --- nice job.

How heavy do you expect to be when you are done. Lots of great ideas.

Hey your build is looking good!

Where are you planning on running the light wires?

that maybe the million dollar question, i really do not want to drill through the roof, i have read about running then up the cowl, and gutter, but this will leave them exposed for a little bit of the run, im looking at either up around the back hatch, or out by one of the rear doors and over the gutter, i'm open to all suggestions

i have a hard time justifying a snorkel, as cool as they look, tires and lift will come first

I've got it all welded, and finished herculining last night. I still need to wire the lights, hopefully this will be done this weekend.
Rack1.JPG
Rack2.JPG

Here is the final product, i am very happy with it, and the Herculiner did a great job covering up any imperfections. And there is also a pic of where i mounted the switches.
front_lights_on_resized.jpg
LC_side_resized.jpg
Ligh_switches_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom