Builds ROTW slow91fj90 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! Well I guess I'll start with by saying Ive always had a Toyota 4x4 at some point. My first was a 85 extra cab mini truck. A complete rust bucket bought on the east coast. Went on to many mods, mainly big lift, big tires and gears. It wasnt till about 9 years ago I came across a 91 FJ80 for sale in sunny San Diego. It was summer of 98 and I always loved the body style of the 80 series, although I didnt know a thing about them, I had to get it. Got it from the original owner(bone stock) with 60k miles. I then proceeded to use it as my work vehicle puting almost another 60k in 9months. Well at this point I wanted lift it and put some tires on it. I came across manafre on the web and proceded to buy the OME 2.5 kit and a front ARB ( later put in a T-MAxx 10k). Next was the tires 33x12.50x15 Procomp mud terrains. And the funny thing was when I went to buy wheels from 4wheel parts they said there was no rim available for my Landcruiser. Anyway I settled on 15x8 extreme alloys. Well next step was gears, I went with 456 from Randys Ring and Pinion. If I could do it all over, would have gone with some 35's and 529's. But thats next. Then one glorius day about 2 years ago I came across MUD! The best thing ever for a fan of any Landcruiser. The idea of others out there like me was great. I had never seen a modified 80 series, ever! Other than those with the grill gaurds and tail light grills. Well the things that people were doing on here was amazing. I first started with the homemade tire carrier like WILDYOATS. Then I made a homemade dual battery setup. Well my cruiser is still running strong about 155k now. I did a birfield job, radiator thermostat waterpump replacement and of course the EFI relay fix. I bought all parts to do homemade turbo setup (someone else with a 3FE truck did it, think it was a 62 series) but havent started yet) Maybe this summer. Well thanks to everyone on here for such a great site. Oh and my primarys use now for the vehicle is beach trips to Outer Banks for fishing and hitting some local trails.

Here are some pics, enjoy everyone. Here are my builds. By the way I have fixed alot of the horrible welds on my tire carrier compared to the one in my build pics.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/152269-homemade-tire-carrier.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/205363-different-option-dual-batterys-3fe.html

Thanks'

:cheers:
new1238.jpg
new1241.jpg
newSUNP0023.JPG

Very nice setup. Love seeing the FJ's that have been built and still loved, especially one you've had for so long. Hopefully well meet up on the trails/beach somewhere soon. Where is that set of pics from? sierras?

Thanks, yes those pics are just before I moved from Tahoe to the east coast. Just outside of Reno, I think its called Red Rock park?
Here are a couple more.

newSUNP0014.JPG
newSUNP0017.JPG

Oh and If you look close there was some wild mustangs hanging out!
newDSC01242.JPG

Last edited:
60K miles in 9 months and only 35K in the past 8 years? Guess I'd have to curtail my Cruiser's road time as well if I spent 4 years' gas money in that span. :) Congrats on ROTW and the fabbed bits and pieces. Nice FJ!

Yeah about the mileage, I used it for work then parked it for 2 years while traveling for work( company car), truck is backup vehicle now( fuel), that should help explain the mileage.

Last edited:
Nice truck.

Nice write up.

As always thanks for contributing.

Sweet lookin' old rig!:clap: You've taken some good care of it, and done some inventive mods to it. Hope all is going well with the tire carrier, and that your welds have come a long way from the beginning! :D

Removed the wire that goes to EFI relay and replaced with larger gauge wire. There is a thread here that explains how to do it. The stock wire is too small and overheats causining relay to fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom