Rotw-mtnrat- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
MY turn.
It all started in the spring of 2001. I had a 99 Durango with all the options, but never really trusted the vehicle. I had always wanted an 80 series so started looking. Found one near Vancouver. A 1997 LX450 with 89,000km and lockers. Flew out, it was as represented and drove it 600 miles back home. It was a great feeling driving back in my new cruiser.
I took it out on a few trails near me and found that the stock tires were even more useless than they looked. So first things first, got some Yoko Geolander AT+2, and removed the running boards. Then I installed a Belton 2 1/2" lift and an ARB front winch bumper.
The next mod was adding a supercharger, cuz as we all know these things are pretty slow.
As with many of us here, I started modifying with the thought that I would only do some relatively mild wheeling. Things changed when I went to my first Cuise Moab in 2002. I had Christo and Ben from Slee Offroad bring me a set of sliders that I installed at the campground. Good thing as I would have crushed my rockers.
Now I wanted the 80 to be capable enough to do harder trails. So I called up Christo and Ben again and ordered J springs, Long shocks, extended brake lines, and a slee rear bumper with tire carrier.
Then of course came 80s on the Con. I had to go. I have wanted to drive that trail since I was in high school.
Next was the decision to get some new tires, and decided on MTRs in the 315 size. Hmm all of a sudden this thing is getting bigger. Add a slee transfer case skid plate and drive down to the Rubicon.
Had a great time there, but it became apparent that the stock gearing was not up to snuff, even with the supercharger. So time to add 4.88s. Some other thing I added around that time were David Quatch's larger longer rear lower control arms. He kindly delivered them to my town when he came to Canada on holiday. Thanks. I also wanted to address some drivability issues and added adjusters to my rear upper control arms and to the front and rear pandhards. Made a whale of difference in tracking.
Well a little more wheeling and saving money and I hear rumour of the 6" springs. Saw some that Robbie had on his 80 at 80s on the Con. Got me to thinking.
Thinking lead to acting, and that fall drove down to Slee Offroad in Golden Colorado and had them installe the 6" springs, double cardan driveshafts and added an interior antenna switch for the M12000 that I stuck in the bumper hole. Had it all set up and drove home in what seemed to be becoming a beast.
Now I am begining to get a spring collection.
I have done a whole bunch of other smaller mods that I will get to, and post up a complete list.
Here are some pics of the metamorphosis.
Cheers,
Sean
Thats All for the moment.
Wait, what happened to the Browse button to attatch pics????

Here they are.
Seans pics 076.jpg
Seans pics 025.jpg
Seans pics 099.jpg

and the last one with 6" lift.
Seans pics2 233.jpg

Nice Rig!

4.88's AND a Supercharger, that thing must have some "pep" to it:cheers:

I have been looking forward to your ROTW for a while now Sean....more pics more pics!!!
Your experience with springs was one of the things that pushed me to 6" for my first lift.

Here is an early pic from elephant hill. 2 1/2" belton lift, and another from golden crack post 6"
Seans pics2 045.jpg
Moab04_0381.jpg

Very cool Sean, I guess mine is the mini-me version of yours!

Here is a list of What I have done. If I can remember it all.

Supercharger
ARB front bumper with warn M12000 winch,
Slee Rear bumper with tire carrier,
Slee sliders,
Slee transfer case skid plate,
Slee AC skid plate,
Slee 6" springs,
OME N73L and N74L shocks
Extended brake lines,
Sway bar drop blocks and brackets,
Bump stop blocks,
Slee front control arms,
David Quatch rear lower control arms,
Slee adjusters in the rear upper control arms,
Slee adjusters in the panhard rods front and rear,
Double cardan front and rear driveshafts,
4.88 gears,
315/75R16 MTRs and 315 Yoko Geolander IT+ ice radials
Tru-speed speedometer calibrator,
Cup holder,
Hand throttle,
Heated Seats,
Uniden 520 in ashtray,
Satellite Radio,
George Scolaro map and dome lights
CDL switch and pin 7 mod,
Safari snorkle,
Lightforce Blitz 240,
HIR high and low beams,
I will add anything else I remember later.
Cheers,
Sean

Last edited:
Here is where I installed my heated seat switches.
DSCF0006.jpg
DSCF0010-1.jpg

Man, that's a nice rig. I think it's cool that you actually are probably one of the few that really need such a rig for day to day driving in the elements you get up in BC. I'm sure you dig the heated seats too.

Very nice Sean. Thanks for the pics.

-B-

Here is a pic of the CB install and the switch for the winch and lightforce lights.
P1010160.JPG
P1010162.JPG

I also use my cruiser to tow alot. Used it to get rid of my durango. I tow my boat across BC every summer, and I just picked up a bobcat that I had to tow over 3 high mtn passes to get it home.
I will testify to the towing stability of the slee 6" lift. It is far better than stock and alot better than both the 2 1/2" belton and the Jsprings. Surprizing for such a tall lift.
The Durango + trailer was about 5500 lbs,
Boat + trailer is 3500 lbs,
Bobcat + trailer is 6500 lbs.
Notice the pintle hitch for the bobcat trailer.
Cheers,
Sean
Seans pics 084.jpg
Seans pics 077.jpg
P1010157.JPG

Nice post. I agree with the comment on 4.88's and a supercharger. Wow it must be quick.

Doesn't seem that quick to me, but better than stock. I must be used to it. Pulls pretty good though, however pullin the bobcat up 9% grades slows you down to 30mph unless you want to give it WOT, but I would rather not.
Sean

THos pictures of the mountains and the greenery are frickin' beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom