ROTW Cabron's Family Truckster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
rotm3.jpg

Well my journey into Land Cruisers all began four years ago on an ADD whim. I had a bought a '96 A4 for $2600 to replace my e34 BMW that was totalled by a lady rushing to the hospital to see her dying husband in the ER. I didn't like the A4 so I began looking at trading it for anything I could. I found a guy in CO that had an FJ40 that he was looking to get rid of so we decided to swap titles on the Kansas/Colorado border. My first ever ride in a Cruiser was when I drove the beast home from CO on the highway. The drums were so maladjusted that when I tapped the brakes the car would change lanes.That 15 hour white knuckle drive popped my cherry into cruisers and have been at it ever since.
sale5-1.jpg

I have a home restoration business so it became impractical to drive 300 miles a week in it. With heavy heart I had to sell it and started looking at fj60's to replace it with. I found this one on AutoTrader in South Bend and decided to make the journey to purchase it. They wanted $7500 for it, I layed $5700 in cash on the table and told him they had fifteen minutes to decide whether or not they wanted to sell it. I got the Cruiser!!!

fj607.jpg

fj6012-1.jpg

It was a one owner, 126K on the clock with a high quality repaint that was about five years old. It had custom bumpers front and rear that were rhino lined and really fit the lines well. It sat on Lemans 31's that were dryrotted beyond belief and that became on of the first priorities.

I always wanted to finally put it what I felt was a great sound system in one of my cars so the Cruiser became the guinea pig. The cruiser was loud inside so I decided to deaden everything I possibly could throughout the whole interior.I researched alot of different options but in the end decided to use peel n seal a roofing material to deaden everything. I cleaned all metal extremely well with acetone first then applied it using a heat gun to literally almost melt it on the metal. I used a hard roller and rolled it all out and it is on for life. After two years it is as strong as the first day. It never smelled, and I can't pull it off with my hand if I wanted to.

rotm6.jpg

rotm8.jpg

The doors sound like a Lexus when they close now and I can tell a huge difference in interior sound levels inside the car.

I decided on a set of 6 1/2 Rainbow components for the front doors. They are a handmade german speaker and sound absolutely amazing. It sounds like there are 8's mounted in the doors and I have been extremely happy with them. I made a 1/2 spacer out of MDF because of the speaker depths and painted them to blend in better.
rotm12.jpg

rotm14.jpg

I wanted to control my ipod through a head unit so I bought an Alpine with a full speed connection to flip through my library on the player itself. I pulled the dash out and made a cage and installed it into the dashboard then reinstalled it all as one unit. To steal the unit you would have to remove the dash. For a plastic filler piece I went to the audio store with the original plastic off of the radio and it matched to a 90's Audi. I used a dremel and slowly ground it down to where it looked pretty good and installed it.
rotm11.jpg

I didn't have alot of extra money so a friend sold me an old Alpine 5-channel and JL Audio 12 for $50 bucks so that's what I used. I mounted the amp under the backeat so I can adjust it from the driver seat and have it remain hidden.
rotm10.jpg

With the deadening, in some places I had ducting insulation material so I layed it over and taped it down for extra cushioning and deadening. It was sitting around so I said what the hell.
rotm9.jpg

I decided it was time to replace the tires with something I would grow into suspension wise so after researching I decided on BFG AT's 33X9.5. They are under a badly sagging factory suspension but eventually this will be all trail so they will work well. I absolutely love the tires, they handle extremely well in alot of conditions and for $450 to my door from 4wheel parts, I couldn't pass on them.
IMG_0271_2.jpg

I have spent most of my time just getting the cruiser mechanically in good shape, so I haven't modded it much yet. I did the knuckle job a month ago with new OEM rotors, pads, brake lines etc etc. Got the AC together, all new hoses, thermo,gaskets, tail light lenses, alternator, voltage regulator. The best part is I have done it all myself with the exception of AC charge thanks to this board! I got a great set of lights from Mot on here sent from Japan and I just love the look of them. Future plans include OME suspension, sliders, rear tire carrier, and maybe an exoskeleton. I've always loved them when done right and tight to the body but this is way down the road.
rotm17.jpg

rotm16.jpg

rotm15.jpg

rotm20.jpg

rotm5.jpg

rotm1.jpg

Wow, that is a fantastic truck. I keep thinking about how sweet it would be to have a super clean 60 to DD again and yours is about as clean as they come, thanks for sharing.

Did you change out the stock rear speakers?

Very nice specimen!

The sound deadening looks especially well done.

I ran 33 x 9.5s for a while and really liked them, though an OME suspension will completely transform your truck and look great with those tires.

Nice ROTW.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I didn't put rear speakers in because I really worked hard at creating the front sound stage, i.e. if a concert is playing and the guitarist is the middle, he sounds like he is the middle, etc etc. Adding rear speakers makes this very difficult, often impossible to achieve.

Clean truck, I LOVE the paint scheme!

Love the skinny 9.50's. I can't wait to get some.
As an old car audio guy, I enjoyed the stereo write-up. Is that JL a free-air sub? Didn't see much of an enclosure there so was wondering how it sounded. Nice job on the sound deadening. They used to make stuff called DynaMat but not sure if it's still around. Good job on the doors. Clean looking ride!

I did lay carpet back over the deadening, so really can't see a thing when it's all back together. The JL 12 is in a small sealed enclosure, fitting my need for tight, accurate bass reproduction.

I did lay carpet back over the deadening, so really can't see a thing when it's all back together. The JL 12 is in a small sealed enclosure, fitting my need for tight, accurate bass reproduction.

you mean a 5 cu.ft. isobaric box with neon lights, plexi window & 4"diameter ports wasn't your idea of good soundin' bass?:D

Beautiful Cruiser Cabron!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom