RotopaX Placement Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sold my swing-out swing-out tire/jack/gas carrier. In and out of my truck way too often. Ended up putting the tire/jack/gas on my roof rack. However, even after spray painting the gas can with a high-gloss sliver metallic, the gas still expands and leaks out in the sun. I'm guessing a newbie mistake but the gas has now burned the clear coat off my roof. hand on face emoji. Do these cans always need to be upright? How do all of you overlanders out west in the desert deal with this? I'm only in new england and it's def a problem for me.
Any tips?

I haven't had a problem yet with my wavian 20L cans. I transport them on the roof, laying on their side, spout up. MD gets pretty hot; not like the SW but it's 98 in the shade here today. I do try and vent them when I can.

Sold my swing-out swing-out tire/jack/gas carrier. In and out of my truck way too often. Ended up putting the tire/jack/gas on my roof rack. However, even after spray painting the gas can with a high-gloss sliver metallic, the gas still expands and leaks out in the sun. I'm guessing a newbie mistake but the gas has now burned the clear coat off my roof. hand on face emoji. Do these cans always need to be upright? How do all of you overlanders out west in the desert deal with this? I'm only in new england and it's def a problem for me.
Any tips?
This is all my opinion, so please take it as that and not disrespect. Don't know what rig your driving or how often you actually use gas cans, but selling your swing out carrier was your 1st mistake. I went through that phase not long after installing my swing out tire carrier on my 80 series and wife and others complained when they drove it, so I removed it and stuffed the (then) stock sized spare back underneath. Eventually the kids got their own cars and wife preferred the minivan. So the swing out got re-installed. This left the OEM spare position open for carrying more fuel (which is my main reason for the swing out). After dealing with 5 gallon containers and their pluses and minuses, I purchased three, 4 gallon Rotopax containers and stack mounted them in the open OEM spare space. I really wanted an aux tank there, but hadn't found the right setup. The Rotopax were superior to other containers, but I still had to pull them out and pour the fuel in. Then I found the LRA tanks and after drooling over them and deciding between the 48 gallon or 24 gallon, I took the plunge and installed the 24 gallon, which effectively doubles my fuel capacity and eliminates my need for "jerry cans" of any brand. I still need the tire swing out, but I ask you, honestly, is the "inconvenience" of opening it worse than what you have now? I realize there's a sizeable crowd that put spares and full fuel cans on their roof racks, but in reality, not only is it inconvenient but it's also not safe. Anything mounted on the roof can become a projectile in an accident, not to mention the stupidity of carring heavy objects high which raises the COG (center of gravity) of the vehicle. Not the smartest thing for an off road rig or any vehicle for that matter. Anyway my point is, think seriously about your priorities. Common sense will help you make the right decision for you.

I often carry 2 RotoPax 3 gallon containers, on my roof rack, laying flat. They both leaked at the seams. Very long story short…RotoPax was great & replaced both. They also suggested that I completely fill them…contrary to what I thought would be best practice, ie leave room at the top for the fuel/air to expand.

I took their advice and after 3 months or so, it seems to be working. Here’s what they said and how I put it to work.

A) fill it to the top as best you can. Click, click, click. Take the RotoPax home and then…open it up and pour additional fuel from a lawnmower fuel can, ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP. Completly to the top. So, far so good.

Once every 3-4 weeks I do slowly open the RotoPax. Very slowly & I get a hiss and usually a very small amount of fuel will spill out. Much better than before.

EDIT 8/30/2022: Still all good following the advice above, ie FILL IT TO THE VERY TOP. I live @ 4K elevation, just returned from 5 day camping/wheeling trip up to 11.8k elevation. A very small swelling of the RotoPax, burped it and no fuel spit out…none.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. No offense taken @80t0ylc . The one Rotopax I have is really just for peace of mind, especially when I'm getting max 10mpg. The amount that I am in and out of the back while jumping from spot to spot fishing, getting rods out, food/drink etc, (and of course forgetting things in the back) was an incredible inconvenience. I have the spare strapped down really well and don't feel the COG issue is really a factor for me as I don't do any serious overlanding nor do I have it on the highway much. Also, with the one spare I feel I have a lot less weight up there than almost 90% of what I see online. I think the issue is laying it down flat with the gas directly behind the spout cap instead of a pocket of air. Just got back from Quetico Park with a marine outboard gas tank at my feet the whole time and it only just clicked. 5 gallons, designed to lay flat, with a top-mounted cap would fare much better! (Also has a fuel gauge built-in.) Maybe I just started something here...
Thanks again for all the tips!

My Scepter MFCs never leaked the few times I roof mounted them pre-swingarms. Have to use the cap wrench though to make sure they are on tight. I've also carried them in the OEM spare tire location. I played with a design to bring to market when I had Speski OffRoad. I'd love an aux tank, but for the few if any times per year I need extra fuel in the USA I can't justify the investment.

When I roof mounted fuel I always poured it in as soon as I had space in the main tank.

Please note my EDIT to post #6. Edit dated 8/30/22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom