RotellaT syn

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by landtoy80, Mar 10, 2004.

1. landtoy80

landtoy80

I have about 1900 mi on the Rotella T syn oil and its only down about a 1/2 qt
    With dino oil I am usually down a qt. I have been hard on the throttle to see how it holds up. With M1 I would of used several qts of oil.
    One strange thing is the oil pan seep leak from the front pan hump stopped leaking. I don't know why.
    Is this oil miracle oil?

2. Beowulf

Beowulf

>> One strange thing is the oil pan seep leak from the front pan hump stopped leaking. <<

How would you know? :D

-B-

3. RavenTai

RavenTai

IIRC Rotella is mainly a group III, Group III's are dino oil that has gone through further refining and is marketed as "synthetic" (most synthetics fall in this category) it is a well liked oil and relatively inexpensive good compromise if a full synthetic is too expensive for you

do some searching on BobIsTheOilGuy.com it is talked about fairly often over there, should be some analysis results also

I have been running Chevron Delo 15-40 sience I bought the cruiser and it has not consumed or leaked any that I can tell, thicker oil same nice for this engine at least in the mild south

4. cary

cary

[quote author=RavenTai link=board=2;threadid=12907;start=msg119018#msg119018 date=1078975517]
    IIRC Rotella is mainly a group III, Group III's are dino oil that has gone through further refining and is marketed as "synthetic" (most synthetics fall in this category) it is a well liked oil and relatively inexpensive good compromise if a full synthetic is too expensive for you

do some searching on BobIsTheOilGuy.com it is talked about fairly often over there, should be some analysis results also

I have been running Chevron Delo 15-40 sience I bought the cruiser and it has not consumed or leaked any that I can tell, thicker oil same nice for this engine at least in the mild south
    [/quote]

We have another oil Guru!!!!

Cary

5. RavenTai

RavenTai

nope not an oil Guru, just a disciple, you can pick up a lot @ BITOG in a few months and a little home experimentation, so far my experiments just show what does not work :-\ , part of the problem was my crappy '01 chevy that gave bad #'s no matter what I did, I am hoping the cruiser will do better

6. cary

cary

I will save you the time. Check out my UOA of M1 0w-40. It appears both the big 6 and the v-8 Toyota motors produce very low wear numbers.

Cary

7. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Great,

"Bookends"................. :rolleyes:

:D

8. landtoy80

landtoy80

Why would my oil leak stop and use less oil?

9. RavenTai

RavenTai

I would assume the heavier weight, thicker oild leak less and seal rings better, or were you running a 40 wt before? anway M1 is made to the thin side for each viscosity if your motor has a place to loose oil M1 will find it

Dan, maybe i have not slept recently enough but I dont get it ??? , but something tells me the green guy is in order just in case :flipoff2:

:D

must sleep......

10. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Simple,

Two oil fanatics = "bookends" :D

11. RavenTai

RavenTai

12. cary

cary

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=12907;start=msg119644#msg119644 date=1079053249]
    Why would my oil leak stop and use less oil?
    [/quote]

Some people have had oil consumption issues with the M1 0w-40, don't know why. Seems the Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 doesn't have the problem (but it is a group III oil). You may also want to try the new Mobil 1 5w-40 SUV oil which is Delvac 1 repackaged. It is a little thicker and formulated a bit differently.

Cary

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.