1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RotellaT syn

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by landtoy80, Mar 10, 2004.

1. landtoy80

landtoy80

I have about 1900 mi on the Rotella T syn oil and its only down about a 1/2 qt
    With dino oil I am usually down a qt. I have been hard on the throttle to see how it holds up. With M1 I would of used several qts of oil.
    One strange thing is the oil pan seep leak from the front pan hump stopped leaking. I don't know why.
    Is this oil miracle oil?

2. Beowulf

Beowulf

>> One strange thing is the oil pan seep leak from the front pan hump stopped leaking. <<

How would you know? :D

-B-

3. RavenTai

RavenTai

IIRC Rotella is mainly a group III, Group III's are dino oil that has gone through further refining and is marketed as "synthetic" (most synthetics fall in this category) it is a well liked oil and relatively inexpensive good compromise if a full synthetic is too expensive for you

do some searching on BobIsTheOilGuy.com it is talked about fairly often over there, should be some analysis results also

I have been running Chevron Delo 15-40 sience I bought the cruiser and it has not consumed or leaked any that I can tell, thicker oil same nice for this engine at least in the mild south

4. cary

cary

[quote author=RavenTai link=board=2;threadid=12907;start=msg119018#msg119018 date=1078975517]
    IIRC Rotella is mainly a group III, Group III's are dino oil that has gone through further refining and is marketed as "synthetic" (most synthetics fall in this category) it is a well liked oil and relatively inexpensive good compromise if a full synthetic is too expensive for you

do some searching on BobIsTheOilGuy.com it is talked about fairly often over there, should be some analysis results also

I have been running Chevron Delo 15-40 sience I bought the cruiser and it has not consumed or leaked any that I can tell, thicker oil same nice for this engine at least in the mild south
    [/quote]

We have another oil Guru!!!!

Cary

5. RavenTai

RavenTai

nope not an oil Guru, just a disciple, you can pick up a lot @ BITOG in a few months and a little home experimentation, so far my experiments just show what does not work :-\ , part of the problem was my crappy '01 chevy that gave bad #'s no matter what I did, I am hoping the cruiser will do better

6. cary

cary

I will save you the time. Check out my UOA of M1 0w-40. It appears both the big 6 and the v-8 Toyota motors produce very low wear numbers.

Cary

7. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Great,

"Bookends"................. :rolleyes:

:D

8. landtoy80

landtoy80

Why would my oil leak stop and use less oil?

9. RavenTai

RavenTai

I would assume the heavier weight, thicker oild leak less and seal rings better, or were you running a 40 wt before? anway M1 is made to the thin side for each viscosity if your motor has a place to loose oil M1 will find it

Dan, maybe i have not slept recently enough but I dont get it ??? , but something tells me the green guy is in order just in case :flipoff2:

:D

must sleep......

10. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Simple,

Two oil fanatics = "bookends" :D

11. RavenTai

RavenTai

12. cary

cary

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=12907;start=msg119644#msg119644 date=1079053249]
    Why would my oil leak stop and use less oil?
    [/quote]

Some people have had oil consumption issues with the M1 0w-40, don't know why. Seems the Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 doesn't have the problem (but it is a group III oil). You may also want to try the new Mobil 1 5w-40 SUV oil which is Delvac 1 repackaged. It is a little thicker and formulated a bit differently.

Cary

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">