Rotating grinding noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

r71

Threads
Anyone have this problem? I have a rotating grinding noise(similar to, most likely brakes). It seems to be coming from the LEFT side of the car. Moe than likely LEFT REAR. I can make it happen when I steer slightly to the RIGHT. I'm sure there's some changes in static/dynamic forces causing it. But it does SOMETIMES happen when going straight as well. Actually when it starts happening, it keeps happening. The intensity of the noise varies on(temp, speed, humidity).

Here's the funny part. When this noise is happening, if I apply small pressure to the brake pedal, it goes away. So basically coming to a stop, in order to get rid of the rotating grinding/squeaking noise, I have to ride the brakes. Also the noise goes away if I steer slightly to the LEFT. Like changing lane.

For sure I can make the noise happen if I steer ever so slightly to the right. Like if I'm going 30 - 40 and change lane to the right. But not a U turn. The noise can't be heard at that low speed. It does not happen doing this towards the LEFT. ZERO noise when I am doing anything towards the LEFT.

I have the car on the lift and everything looks fine. No interference. 90% on the pads. Rotors look good. I can't make the noise happen on the lift while turning the wheels. And I can't apply the kind of forces it sees while driving and going right.....

Anyone have this problem?

Oh, I checked the e-brake. It's actually loose. I hardly ever use it.

The front axle has some grease sling(it's lifted), but both sides seem the same. No noise coming from the driveshaft or the diff.

This is a weird problem. It's usually the other way around. You know, "grinds when applying the brakes". This is the opposite. The grind goes away when APPLYING the brakes.....

Anyone wanna take a stab?

Been experiencing the same thing lately with my 06’ LX470, and I got told it was likely the e-brake, and that by not using it may have caused the issue. I never use mine, so I started to a lot more, time will tell if it’s reversed I suppose. It can be really annoying though haha

OK, I just took her on a test run. Might be pre-mature to claim victory, but the noise is gone. I took the rear caliper off and noticed one of the retaining clips was seated past the pads. So basically it was hitting the rotor. I'm hoping this was the problem because I have no noise at all. I can see how the mechanic made this mistake when installing the pads. I usually don't let anyone touch my rig but I had someone put in the pad this time.

Capture.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom