Rookie Questions - Engine Bay Cleaning (Water Pump/Thermostat Replacement) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the middle of doing my water pump and foolishly drained only one of the engine block stop-cock plugs. Thus, as I undid the thermostat and water pump assemblies I still had a decent amount of coolant run down the front of the block, pulleys, etc. I've assumed before and it rarely pans out in my favor... am I safe to spray it down with water or Simple Green or something? Just want to get the area cleaned up so that I can tell if the pump goes at some point down the road, and not be faced with pink goo down there from this point onward.

Coolant is water soluble, all you need is a cone spray of water. Just try to avoid a direct stream blasting upward into the back of the alternator, which is actually kind of hard to do in the first place.

Coolant is water soluble, all you need is a cone spray of water. Just try to avoid a direct stream blasting upward into the back of the alternator, which is actually kind of hard to do in the first place.
Thanks a lot, I'll proceed accordingly. Appreciate it.

As a former detailer, regularly washed down engines. Don't spray the alternator directly, make sure oil fill, brake master etc. have their caps fitted properly, dry it with a garden blower or something and then take for a drive to get a bit of heat into the engine bay. Never any problems following this procedure

As a former detailer, regularly washed down engines. Don't spray the alternator directly, make sure oil fill, brake master etc. have their caps fitted properly, dry it with a garden blower or something and then take for a drive to get a bit of heat into the engine bay. Never any problems following this procedure
Awesome thank you both for your input. Greatly appreciated.

Maybe just use water, not simple green (unless you have the aluminum friendly version). As said above, it should rinse right off.

I use Shout. yes the stuff you buy for Clothes . By it by the Gallon super cheap . will not discolor aluminum or fade out Anodizing . spray it on everything let is sit and rinse . Then spray everything down with SC-1 except your brakes . you can buy SC-1 from any motorcycle shop .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom