ROOF TOP TENT SET UP FOR 1984 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

Does anyone out there have recommendations and suggestions on putting a roof top tent on a 1984 FJ60 (actually the roof is off an '86...did a restoration on my FJ60...I'm original owner... swapped 2F and trans with an LS3 and NV4500 trans). I want to be able to take it on and off when not using and put my surf racks back on. I think I prefer a hard case rather than soft top, but open to ideas. Needs to be heavy duty. Thanks for the help. Dave

Ocho77

SILVER Star
84, James Baroud tent, Bowfin rack.

B46D79D2-40FB-4D3C-AE65-78031CEB9896.jpeg

Does anyone know if the factory roof rack can deal with a RTT? Eventually I will get a full length roof rack, but for this summer I can’t afford both (i.e. a RTT - it’s the Roofnest Sparrow I’m wanting - AND the expedition-type roof rack).

Does anyone know if the factory roof rack can deal with a RTT? Eventually I will get a full length roof rack, but for this summer I can’t afford both (i.e. a RTT - it’s the Roofnest Sparrow I’m wanting - AND the expedition-type roof rack).

If this is what you mean by the factory roof rack: \/ then no. You are going to want a proper roof gutter mount rack and will likely need 3 or 4 cross bars to support the weight adequately.

1620067213614.png

Yeah, that’s the rack I meant. I kinda guessed that would be the answer. I suppose I can try and get a couple of very simple, gutter-mounted crossbars to use for now. Or get a proper roof rack now & just sleep in the back of the truck until I can afford the Sparrow....

Yeah, that’s the rack I meant. I kinda guessed that would be the answer. I suppose I can try and get a couple of very simple, gutter-mounted crossbars to use for now. Or get a proper roof rack now & just sleep in the back of the truck until I can afford the Sparrow....
I have a full frontrunner and in hindsight I wish I would have just done 3 crossbars.

Craigslist is full of racks that people sell for a lot less than new and nothing wrong with them good place to look for cross bars and feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom