roof tents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
wanted to know who sells roof tents? i remeer some one saying something about them on here and was intrested to see what they have. does it just go in your roof rack or is there something different. i really like the pop up ones for the roof but i imagine there a tad expensive. :beer:

Here's one.....
technitop7.jpg

http://www.safaritrailers.com/index.cfm?action=catalog&catID=2

:cheers:

And another from Safari Trailers. The Heep's broken down... waiting for his buddy with a Cruiser to come save him. :D

moon7.jpg

I've been looking at roof tents for several years now, and really like the Maggolina ones from LoftyShelters. The drawback to this design, IMO is the area of the roof rack it will take up because of the lengthwise hardshell design. The folding tents take up about one half the space.

I've recently been lucky enough to find a Hannibal Deluxe (1.4M) tent, which I'm looking forward to trying out. I'll give some feedback after it comes in.

-H-

When I was looking at tents, I decided to by a Maggolina from rich at loftyshelters.com.

It kind of depends the type of camping you do, but safari tents are useful if you want lots of room. They kind of were developed in africa where ya want to stay off the ground when out in the bush.

The reason I bought a Maggolina is because it has a fiber glass shell which you can store things like a rifle, a ladder, and skies and sleeping bag. It also is more comfortable because it has a built in thick foam pad (just like a bed).

In high winds, I'd choose the Maggolina because it has less surface area (I've slept on a few mountains in my life and wind noise can be a problem), the tent is even pretty good in the winter, snow and all.... If ya do get this roof tent (which comes with a ladder), I spend the extra bucks and buy another ladder (there is one ladder that folds up and is really beefy made in sweden which is really nice but costs a few $$). Pictured below is a snapshot of my own tent setup.

http://www.phaster.com/road_trips/grand_canyon_west.jpg

If ya want to go cheap, why not mount a 3/4" plywood sheet on racks, it gives ya a platform to pitch a tent (which is how roof top tents first came into being)....

The Hannibal is a very cool tent. I do know that to properly box it up, you need about $70 worth of lumber. :'( :eek::flipoff2:

I dunno what sux is talking about when he says wind noise in his lil box tent. If you're in that type of wind, 70mph or more, not too many of these are some place you want to be. Heck, I've seen poles snap on North Face, Marmot, and Mountain Hardware tents when the wind gets flying hard enough. Then again, there's a reason why you build a snow wall too. :flipoff2:

For most circumstances, these tents are cool, very practical, easy to use and very comfortable and roomy.

There used to be pics of mine and Pat Takash's on the hannibal site. Dunno if they are still there. :flipoff2:

Here's another one. Uses a fiberglas clamshell that opens to reveal a queen size mattress (heated), overhead reading lights and gear loft that can carry up to 50 lbs of kids for sleeping. See it at http://members.aol.com/HGsTopBunk/index.html I've looked at them several times and they seem well done, but pricey. I like the simple approach where you park, open it up and crawl in . Minimal compared to hooking up posts, hanging stuff, zipping in screen panels, etc before crawling in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom