Roof rack nuts fell into roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
help. One pair of the roof rack nuts has fallen into the roof during the installation of the front runner rack. Any good ideas to get it out? Or a thread on how I can get in there?
Thank you.

You have to remove the headliner. Not fun

Is there any way you could fish them out with a magnet on a stick/wire?

Yes. But don't drive until you try... Or they will shift. Even then it is a pain.

It is

So I can fish it up with a magnet but it just falls back down when I pull the magnet out. This is a horrible design on Toyota engineering. Will keep trying.

Local auto upholstery guys did it real easy. It was really pretty simple. Took off three handles. The b and a pillar the weather stripping the sun visor and then reached into the headliner and put it back on with the clip. So easy a cave man could do it.
CRO-mag steve not so much though.
Best $40 I ever spent.

This happened to me installing a 200 series rack a few weeks ago but it's the same thing. Just in case this helps the next guy...

We ended up finding 2 longer M8 bolts, and running one down into the loose nut assembly (both nuts are tied together). That was enough to pass the other longer bolt through a tower into the other nut and get it started. Then we took the other bolt out, and ran the actual tower bolt through the tower into that second nut, once that was started we could back out the other long bolt and install the other tower bolt. Dropping the head liner was a distant plan b... but thankfully the nut doodads didn't go down that far and we were able to pull them back up with some bolts.

The Toyota engineers need to be kicked in the dick for this one. Rinse and repeat with all the other comments above on my 200 series. I played hide-n-go-seek with the factory rivnuts for hours and finally said “F-it” and broke out my rivnut tool with an M8 die and installed M8 rivnuts and moved on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom