Roof box which one for me? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Probably discussed hundred times, but I will try anyways. I am just not sure which one to get.
I do want biggest one, but I don't know it will fit/work on roof of 2021 LX570.

I have stock roof rails, so ideally it should work with those.

It will be used for carrying ski gear for 4-5 people (skis boots) and ideally more.

Any suggestions on which brand/model and why?

PS And would be NICE if it fits through the garage door. I have 8ft doors

Last edited:
You are going to be really limited with a stock LX rack. It doesn't go the full length of the roof. Most people swap them out for either an OEM land cruiser rack or something aftermarket. On the 2016+ LX that involves dropping the headliner.

You are going to be really limited with a stock LX rack. It doesn't go the full length of the roof. Most people swap them out for either an OEM land cruiser rack or something aftermarket. On the 2016+ LX that involves dropping the headliner.
Can you elaborate why? I think maybe pre-2016 different. Look at stock picture I found for pre-facelift. Yes, it look short

Capture.JPG

Here is what I have. Different rail and I can move cross bar almost to the middle of sunroof, or about 1ft forward. Comparing pictures crossbar on mind already set forward of where rail ends on pre-2016

IMG_8770.jpg

IMG_8771.jpg

Can you elaborate why? I think maybe pre-2016 different. Look at stock picture I found for pre-facelift. Yes, it look short

View attachment 3426419

Here is what I have. Different rail and I can move cross bar almost to the middle of sunroof, or about 1ft forward. Comparing pictures crossbar on mind already set forward of where rail ends on pre-2016

View attachment 3426424
View attachment 3426425
Wasn't aware, you are golden then. I ran an 18 cubic foot box on mine, no issues. I think a 21 would probably fit.

Have you considered a hitch mounted cargo carrier? Rooftop boxes add so much drag and are a pain in the a$$ to load and unload.

This is my setup now that I take skiing.

Pakmule Swayback- practically made for our trucks, rock solid, and allows complete access to the back of the truck.

Condition 1 33” trunks- weatherproof and roll with ease. They are very heavy duty yet light enough to transport singlehanded. Looks like they now offer white like your truck too.

RollerCam looped straps- hold everything down and are super easy to use.

IMG_3360.jpeg

IMG_3359.jpeg

IMG_3358.jpeg

Last edited:
They're all pretty similar, buy the one that fits your size needs. I have a Thule Hyper XL that has been on more than 12k miles of road trips in the last few years with no complaints. I’d recommend shopping Facebook Marketplace for a month or two before buying new. They turn up all the time in decent condition at a good discount over new
BAFD9DBE-EB6E-422D-9B9E-2A38EE9DBC35.jpeg

They're all pretty similar, buy the one that fits your size needs. I have a Thule Hyper XL that has been on more than 12k miles of road trips in the last few years with no complaints. I’d recommend shopping Facebook Marketplace for a month or two before buying new. They turn up all the time in decent condition at a good discount over new View attachment 3427180

Good advice! I actually do check every once in a while - nothing here in ST Louis. I need XL one for sure (why not?) and those I see discount couple hundred which is OK if it was exactly what I need. Or they 100 miles away and it's not worth it. I will wait another month or so and buy new..

On a positive side - I just measured garage door - I have at least 19in above cross members. And I can lower truck AHC if need to. So even biggest boxes should fit.

Have you considered a hitch mounted cargo carrier? Rooftop boxes add so much drag and are a pain in the a$$ to load and unload.

This is my setup now that I take skiing.

Pakmule Swayback- practically made for our trucks, rock solid, and allows complete access to the back of the truck.

Condition 1 33” trunks- weatherproof and roll with ease. They are very heavy duty yet light enough to transport singlehanded. Looks like they now offer white like your truck too.

RollerCam looped straps- hold everything down and are super easy to use.

Where do you put skis? I have used those (my buddy got one) but not impressed. Parking is not as good, and for long trip - they will get messy. With ski trip - I need to unload and load just once - we put skis in lockers next to lift. So it's all about getting there.

Good advice! I actually do check every once in a while - nothing here in ST Louis. I need XL one for sure (why not?) and those I see discount couple hundred which is OK if it was exactly what I need. Or they 100 miles away and it's not worth it. I will wait another month or so and buy new..

On a positive side - I just measured garage door - I have at least 19in above cross members. And I can lower truck AHC if need to. So even biggest boxes should fit.
If your luck is like mine, you'll find the exact one you just bought new, for 50% off used, the day after you buy it... :rofl:

I have a Thule Motion XT XXL on my LX and it fits very well. Sits above the rear antenna mast and goes about 3/4 of the way over the sunroof. 22 cu ft. I also run something similar to the Pakmule for extra storage.

I also have the Thule 612 Hyper XL, zero complaints. The LED inside is a nice touch too.

I have this Thule one. I've had it with the stock LX rack and with LC one. No problems with either.

20230812_210901.jpg

I have a box from Inno. I’ve had it on for about 4 years. No noise and no issues, plus it fits in my garage.

21F429B5-CE70-4C8A-ACBC-510FED8B35B8.jpeg

28FC32FE-8B69-46A6-AE6F-E6EDB9B4E8E2.jpeg

I have a Skybox 16 and Yakima Exo Boxes. Both have been great.

20230720_103907.jpg

20230609_163855.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom