Rolled back odometer on LX470, Sealy TX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
https://buyritemotors.com/inventory/2000-lexus-lx/

LX470
VIN: JT6HT00W1Y0094956
Dealer: Buy Rite Motors - Sealy, TX (just outside Houston)
Listed miles - 120k
Actual miles - 350k
Price - 4800 on website, 4500 when I called, sticker says 6645
Known issues - Brake booster pump broken

Found this deal online the other day, and it seemed too good to be true. 4500 for an LX470 at 120k? Even though its got the break issues, it looks like its in damn good condition for 120k. Was super excited for my first TLC/LX. However, I did a quick check on the carfax, actually bought the report to confirm, and yea, it seems this is a rolled back odometer from over 350k. Super sad panda.

Called the dealer, Duane, to inform him, he said he had no idea what I was talking about, and that his sources said the car was fine, no issues with the mileage.

Not sure if this is where this belongs, but wanted to post something here so that if anyone found this, they'd be aware its a scam.

Attachments

• CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2000 LEXUS LX 470- JT6HT00W1Y0094956.pdf
    814.1 KB · Views: 298
Well spotted.

I have to say, Carfax has proven to be worth the money each time we bought a car recent enough to be covered by it. Rolled back odometers, former rental cars, wrecked (in one case 3 times!), you name it...

But note that I (and many others) have found major problems with a vehicle not noted in the Carfax. It's far from perfect.

I just ran a quick scan as well and it also comes up with a title issue, which could mean many things including the odometer discrepancy.

Sketchy for sure. Equally as sketchy is the dealer's name.

Side note:

The current seller actually could have no idea because it looks like the odometer reading was taken at the auction. The auction is required to declare mileage/record it. So, in reality, the dealer who sold this LX at the auction is to blame for this discrepancy and actually could be held accountable or at least blacklisted from selling at the auction again. For this kind of misrepresentation, the auction is somewhat responsible for holding the seller accountable.

Stuff like this really irks me!

Last edited:
They probably didn't roll it back themselfs, but of course they are gonna say they have no idea.... I mean they are trying to sell it lol.... but I do want to know where that dealership gets some of its cars from.... a few months ago they had an fj45 for sell and now they have a 4 door fj40....

just out of curiosity, how would 1 go about changing the miles on a digital odometer. seems to me it could be done if you could get into the ecm and re-program it, but you would need to change the memory somehow. wouldn't it leave a trail?

it's not like the old days when you just took the odometer apart and were able to manipulate the wheels.

any LX 470 under $5000 is going to be high mileage or had a wreck or needs work like the one above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom