Roll Bar Tabs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, going though a new (to me) 40 and I cannot figure out what these tabs are for.
FYI this is just a picture I found off the internet, but its the same cage I have with the same tabs.

149442495_10225874232708089_1589243468959149937_n.jpg

I was wrong, not seatbelt related apparently.
I used them to tie into the tub rail for extra support. Piece of L steel cut into three inch section, (4) of em, bolt to brackets, drill down thru tub rail, mine is a trail truck, I would not do this for a hard top or any kind of resto.

Last edited:
When I bought my Smittybuilt roll bar from Man-A-Free back in 1974 it included the four pieces of angle iron and bolts. Included for pieces of angle iron and for the base to the wheel well. Also bought the kit to relocate the jump seats in to clear the roll bar.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess seat belts makes the most sense. I ended up mounting my seat belts to the bolts that mount the cage to the tub. It looked like later versions moved the seat belts lower that is where mine ended up, mines a 71' for reference.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess seat belts makes the most sense. I ended up mounting my seat belts to the bolts that mount the cage to the tub. It looked like later versions moved the seat belts lower that is where mine ended up, mines a 71' for reference.

These were made to support the roll bar not for seat belts. Jump seats were always lap belts once they started. Anchor points were in the top of the wheel well not above the height of the tub. At that level the belt would go across the chest not over the lap. Also those tabs get their strength being bolted to angle iron which in turn bolts to the top of the tub in a boxed section.

It's a Smottybuilt rollbar. Those tabs were for supports extending to the top rail of the tub. If the 40 were to roll the tub sides would not cave in.

It's a Smottybuilt rollbar. Those tabs were for supports extending to the top rail of the tub. If the 40 were to roll the tub sides would not cave in.

Installed my Smittybuilt roll bar in 1974. About a year later I put the cruiser on it's on a icy roads. Sliding sideways when the cruiser hit the shoulder flipped hard on it's side. passenger rims that hit the shoulder were bent. Only damage to the tub was a slight bend in behind the B pillar. Windshield survived undamaged. Only broken glass was on the hard top the side glass.

In 1983 for some reason I opted to pull the Smittybuilt roll bar and install a 79 factory roll bar to get three point seats belts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom