Rock Sliders for Collision Protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was hit by a drunk driver a few days ago. They missed the bud built sliders so I can’t speak on if they would have helped or not. All airbags went off and car was totaled but my whole family including 3 little ones were fine except for a few bruises here and there. Hunting for a grey heritage now, and will definitely purchase another set of sliders from Buds.
65342F7B-BE36-4254-A9C4-F47B3F336608.jpeg

I highly doubt it, it’s most likely ARBs very common design style of giving a ton of space between things. That way it can be produced much faster, with looser tolerances, and not having customers complain of rubbing.

But, let’s say that was their intent. As we all can agree, and legit T-Bone at 40 mph will take out any truck, regardless of sliders. But if those ARB sliders took a straight on side hit from a backing up truck or a concrete barrier that someone got too close to, the ARB rails are shaped to bend into the doors. Then with that front mount only half way up the frame rail, the top edge of that mount is what will press inward. They should of put that mount to the top of the frame rail, where there is a 90° bend that offers an incredible increase in strength.

This was super common when the FJ Cruiser came out. Lots of people where making sliders with frame plates that when half way, or 3/4 the way up the frame rail. Then under modest hits, the frame rails would bend inward (the sliders never bent though), and companies started going to the top of the frame rail real fast.
As with any collision, the point is to protect the occupant, not so much preserve the frame or body.

As with any collision, the point is to protect the occupant, not so much preserve the frame or body.
Very much agree. That is why this thread, a discussion about if sliders help with little things like door dings, parking lot accidents, most sliders will help with that greatly.

Like I said above, any significant collision, like what @BrainDoc unfortunatly experienced, sliders won’t change anything. So I’m not sure why you are now changing your point of view to “it’s about protecting the people inside.” We’ve never said sliders will save people.

I’m just correcting your assumption that ARB has somehow produced a slider that is known to be safer than another slider. Which is not the case, never has been, never was.

Very much agree. That is why this thread, a discussion about if sliders help with little things like door dings, parking lot accidents, most sliders will help with that greatly.

Like I said above, any significant collision, like what @BrainDoc unfortunatly experienced, sliders won’t change anything. So I’m not sure why you are now changing your point of view to “it’s about protecting the people inside.” We’ve never said sliders will save people.

I’m just correcting your assumption that ARB has somehow produced a slider that is known to be safer than another slider. Which is not the case, never has been, never was.
Actually, you’re not correcting anything from my end. I just posted that ARB apparently (per website) tested their slider to make sure that it complies with side collision. Whether they did it or not, i cannot say...but they do proudly post it on their website. If ARB did design their sliders to absorb energy in a side collision, then that is cool beans...we can all agree. IF you have hard evidence to disprove their claim, then please show it. No need to put down other competitors by saying...”it’s just marketing”. ARB also does not say that their slider is better than others...and neither did i. No need to be defensive about your product. We all respect your strong-as-an-ox product(s)...no need to bash others.

I am not even sure i have a viewpoint to change in all this....

Last edited:
Actually, you’re not correcting anything from my end. I just posted that ARB apparently (per website) tested their slider to make sure that it complies with side collision. Whether they did it or not, i cannot say...but they do proudly post it on their website. If ARB did design their sliders to absorb energy in a side collision, then that is cool beans...we can all agree. IF you have hard evidence to disprove their claim, then please show it. No need to put down other competitors by saying...”it’s just marketing”. ARB also does not say that their slider is better than others...and neither did i. No need to be defensive about your product. We all respect your strong-as-an-ox product(s)...no need to bash others.

I wouldn't be surprised if ARB actually did test their sliders to make sure that it isn't transferring the impact to the frame. Australia has really strict rules on modifications and basically having to get a vehicle "engineered" after certain changes are made. I'd assume they hold vendors that create bumpers and the likes to a certain standard to have to prove the products don't damage the vehicle crash testing. Whether sliders fall into that category is the question.

But my thinking is that if it is crash tested it is as you mentioned that the arms that go to the frame are the crumple zone and will fold in

Well said.

So you know why I said the things I did (was not trying to attack or frustrate you at all), is because ARB did do some really good, real crash tests with their front bars years ago. Since then, they have repeated the "collision and crash testing" claims a lot along with air bag compatiliities. They used the pictures from those earlier days in their advertising, to further articulate that they did do it, which is awesome. However, I don't know any company in the consumer automotive world, where secrecy does not apply, not wanting to post even a picture of testing say... a step, or rails, or rear bumpers now that their product has actually hit the market. That's why when you first posted "ARB did," I was genuinely excited, hoping to see some slider just get beat by something. Like the only few year old video of them destroying other companies lockers, then their air locker destroying the test chain that destroy the other lockers. That was cool, and tangible. I love ARB, you won't ever find a front bumper on any of my trucks that is not an ARB due to their crush can design that arguably, only they can produce (the machine that produces their crush cans is like Willy wonka's chocolate factory to guys like me). I could build myself anything front bumper, but I won't, because it won't be as good as an ARB front bar. If I did make a front bar, it will still be mounted to ARB mount brackets. But back onto their rails.

Then I saw it was the same claim, as has been for over a decade, but nothing of any real to note. So that's why I was like, "oh, it's just marketing." Not as it was marketing as in marketing BS, as in the same marketing that has been regurgitated. They are still using the testing that they showed they did from way back when, and saying they are still doing it. With the marketing department they have, with recently showing other products under test conditions, you don't think that they could show one little picture of a new vehicle or product in a lab with something slamming into it? So is it just digital crush testing? Heck a lot of companies, even little BB has that capability. Also, I wasn't trying to defend the company I work for, there is a reason why my handle name did not change and is still Taco. The things I post are mine, not the companies. And you know me, I am a very transparent guy. If I have seen something fail, or generally suck (technical term... kidding) it's hard for me not to say it. Not because I like to agree. I'm just frustrated at the over twenty years I bough off road products form countless companies for Toyota's, and most have failed me. Wasting my hard earned money. This is where I've struggled a lot the last two years (as I am at BB now).

I genuinely want to help people not waste their money, not damage their truck (something that happen to me a lot until i met Bud in 2010) and get the best product... for them. Just like after we talked in depth and I did a bunch a research to make you a light weight slider solution for you. Then, ultimately felt that you should get the ARB rails. They were going to be cheaper, immediately available now, and focused on what YOU wanted more. So I play no favorites with any one, that includes BB. So you know and really everyone knows, Bud sometimes gets frustrated with me also (big shock right). If I think something of his sucks, I tell him, we argue... but ultimately I am educated form his crazy engineering mind and background. Or we refined it so that way even annoying Rob can't comment on it. Sometimes things don't make sense at first, but we do things for a reason. But that is why everyone should know that I don't defend BB, I just have the ability to refine a BB product until I truly believe it is better than what is out there. And If I can't do that, we don't sell it. If you look at our Tacoma skid plates, they are going away. Because we have spend over year making them better than anything else out there. It was the right thing to do.

This is where I have a problem. Yes I work at the place Ii do. Yes, we sell certain things. No, I don't care how many we sell, I just want to be apart of the best. But don't (and that is said in a friendly, sincere way) think that I care about BB, just because it is BB. Two separate schools of thought. I hope that makes sense, and that you don't thing I was trying to be mean. I really think I type in a way that frustrates the crap out of people, another reason why I want to start making video's that lets me talk, like a human, about some things in this little off road world we share. Sorry for the long response, and detailing the thread.

@gelbus, BB rock rails will suck for door ding protection or city side swipes. They just don't stick out far enough. The BB rails were made for some SoCal customers that need bottom out protection from going up and over rolling hills, but wanted to have a slick, thinner look.

Last edited:
I was hit by a drunk driver a few days ago. They missed the bud built sliders so I can’t speak on if they would have helped or not. All airbags went off and car was totaled but my whole family including 3 little ones were fine except for a few bruises here and there. Hunting for a grey heritage now, and will definitely purchase another set of sliders from Buds.View attachment 2546311
Glad your ok!! That’s what’s most important!

Did insurance pay out for the sliders or can you take the ones you had off and use them on the new ride?

Glad your ok!! That’s what’s most important!

Did insurance pay out for the sliders or can you take the ones you had off and use them on the new ride?
Yeah it was quite the experience, and let me be perfectly clear in this. Watching a car smash into yours, feeling the hit and the pop of airbags, followed by disbelief of what happened, straight sucks. This being followed by the fear with having to turn and check on your wife and kids. But that relief of seeing that no one is hurt and people that matter most are perfectly fine, is breathtaking.

I bought our land cruiser for reliability and safety, and am happy to share that I made a good choice. Hug your kids, take care of your vehicles and carry on bravely.

The insurance paid $150 towards them, even though I explained that they do not normally come with the vehicle and offered receipts. I was told that I could remove them but there were unable to move it into a garage and onto a lift. I suppose I could squeeze under there and take the time to remove them, but they are so secured to the frame that it would have taken quite some time to do so. I figured I can take the loss and order new ones. I have already reached out to Bud's and spoke with Rob who has been incredibly helpful in getting me set up for a new pair. I was lucky and was able to order a new grey heritage from Toyota of Erie and will have it in February.

Well said.

So you know why I said the things I did (was not trying to attack or frustrate you at all), is because ARB did do some really good, real crash tests with their front bars years ago. Since then, they have repeated the "collision and crash testing" claims a lot along with air bag compatiliities. They used the pictures from those earlier days in their advertising, to further articulate that they did do it, which is awesome. However, I don't know any company in the consumer automotive world, where secrecy does not apply, not wanting to post even a picture of testing say... a step, or rails, or rear bumpers now that their product has actually hit the market. That's why when you first posted "ARB did," I was genuinely excited, hoping to see some slider just get beat by something. Like the only few year old video of them destroying other companies lockers, then their air locker destroying the test chain that destroy the other lockers. That was cool, and tangible. I love ARB, you won't ever find a front bumper on any of my trucks that is not an ARB due to their crush can design that arguably, only they can produce (the machine that produces their crush cans is like Willy wonka's chocolate factory to guys like me). I could build myself anything front bumper, but I won't, because it won't be as good as an ARB front bar. If I did make a front bar, it will still be mounted to ARB mount brackets. But back onto their rails.

Then I saw it was the same claim, as has been for over a decade, but nothing of any real to note. So that's why I was like, "oh, it's just marketing." Not as it was marketing as in marketing BS, as in the same marketing that has been regurgitated. They are still using the testing that they showed they did from way back when, and saying they are still doing it. With the marketing department they have, with recently showing other products under test conditions, you don't think that they could show one little picture of a new vehicle or product in a lab with something slamming into it? So is it just digital crush testing? Heck a lot of companies, even little BB has that capability. Also, I wasn't trying to defend the company I work for, there is a reason why my handle name did not change and is still Taco. The things I post are mine, not the companies. And you know me, I am a very transparent guy. If I have seen something fail, or generally suck (technical term... kidding) it's hard for me not to say it. Not because I like to agree. I'm just frustrated at the over twenty years I bough off road products form countless companies for Toyota's, and most have failed me. Wasting my hard earned money. This is where I've struggled a lot the last two years (as I am at BB now).

I genuinely want to help people not waste their money, not damage their truck (something that happen to me a lot until i met Bud in 2010) and get the best product... for them. Just like after we talked in depth and I did a bunch a research to make you a light weight slider solution for you. Then, ultimately felt that you should get the ARB rails. They were going to be cheaper, immediately available now, and focused on what YOU wanted more. So I play no favorites with any one, that includes BB. So you know and really everyone knows, Bud sometimes gets frustrated with me also (big shock right). If I think something of his sucks, I tell him, we argue... but ultimately I am educated form his crazy engineering mind and background. Or we refined it so that way even annoying Rob can't comment on it. Sometimes things don't make sense at first, but we do things for a reason. But that is why everyone should know that I don't defend BB, I just have the ability to refine a BB product until I truly believe it is better than what is out there. And If I can't do that, we don't sell it. If you look at our Tacoma skid plates, they are going away. Because we have spend over year making them better than anything else out there. It was the right thing to do.

This is where I have a problem. Yes I work at the place Ii do. Yes, we sell certain things. No, I don't care how many we sell, I just want to be apart of the best. But don't (and that is said in a friendly, sincere way) think that I care about BB, just because it is BB. Two separate schools of thought. I hope that makes sense, and that you don't thing I was trying to be mean. I really think I type in a way that frustrates the crap out of people, another reason why I want to start making video's that lets me talk, like a human, about some things in this little off road world we share. Sorry for the long response, and detailing the thread.

@gelbus, BB rock rails will suck for door ding protection or city side swipes. They just don't stick out far enough. The BB rails were made for some SoCal customers that need bottom out protection from going up and over rolling hills, but wanted to have a slick, thinner look.
I understand that it could be marketing...but again, i have no evidence to say that they did or did not crash test their sliders. I “assume” that you do not know either. I will email them...but then again, last time, i emailed them i got nothing. So, don’t wait on me to get the answer. :D

As afgman said above, Australian laws may have forced ARB to test their products. I hope so...and i would not mind if USA does the same. I don’t want to buy stuff for my car that can INCREASE harm to my family.

For a relatively big (maybe biggest) off-road vendor in the world, stating such claims on their website for all to see is a HUGE liability on their end. ARB basically has put a target on their back. And the lawsuits are the worst type...injury or death due to product design failure! And the lawsuits will ask for specific testing(s) done. My (uneducated) guess is that ARB does indeed test their current products as claimed because not doing so is just stupid. But i have been wrong about companies before.... :D ARB may have officially tested their design and found that it does meet Australian’s whatever guideline/law...and if that design is the same for all the vehicles that fit the sliders, then no, they don’t need to test on every vehicle application since the basic design and install are the same.

Last edited:
Not knowing the specifics of the test they passed makes the claim of no value.

Ouch. Sorry for the accident, but glad you're ok.

Hate drunks. Got hit by one drunk criminal in my Tacoma. By an airborne Honda Civic no less at 60 mph or so. Took out a side door and rocker panel (my Tacoma has 2" lift). The Honda was spinning 360 deg in the air after being launched off concrete barrier. He ripped out a rear wheel, and then proceeded to elude 3-wheeled at 60 mph or so. I caught up with the a******, he was arrested. His choice of escape route was poor - drove right past the state police barracks. As you can imagine 3-wheeled Civic with sparks behind chased by a damaged Taco got noticed :) Wish I had a dashcam back then as I think it would have been quite popular YouTube video :)

Taco was repaired and is as good as new. Did not have sliders on it then, now I do.

Frankly I think I'd be worse off in that collision with sliders - it would mean an impact to the frame, so the truck would be likely gone, and who knows how would I fare if I lost control - without the sliders the cab absorbed the impact. But it was such a freak accident I hope to not have one again...

Last edited:
Not knowing the specifics of the test they passed makes the claim of no value.
That is true. I did email ARB to ask specifics. Hey, it’s worth a shot!

So assuming that someone wants sliders, which ones to get? I just traded in my 2016 for a 2021 HE. Currently I am paying for the Slee sliders I had on my 2016 to be moved to my 2021 but we won't be able to get the hardware from Slee until the end of May so I thought I would step back and see if there are alternatives out there that might be better for us. In 5 years of having sliders and doing a small bit of mild off-roading I have never scratched the sliders. Going forward we plan to do less. Certainly less rock crawling if any. I like the idea of sliders. Just not sure I need to be able to carry the full weight of the vehicle. Though I do see a benefit with respect to jacking points for a High Lift jack. What we DO love about the sliders is the step. Our new HE currently has no step and no sliders and getting in and out, especially for my wife and my 90 year old father is a bit of a chore. Its not that I don't like the Slee sliders I have. I'm just wondering if there are options that have benefits over the Slee sliders.

So assuming that someone wants sliders, which ones to get? I just traded in my 2016 for a 2021 HE. Currently I am paying for the Slee sliders I had on my 2016 to be moved to my 2021 but we won't be able to get the hardware from Slee until the end of May so I thought I would step back and see if there are alternatives out there that might be better for us. In 5 years of having sliders and doing a small bit of mild off-roading I have never scratched the sliders. Going forward we plan to do less. Certainly less rock crawling if any. I like the idea of sliders. Just not sure I need to be able to carry the full weight of the vehicle. Though I do see a benefit with respect to jacking points for a High Lift jack. What we DO love about the sliders is the step. Our new HE currently has no step and no sliders and getting in and out, especially for my wife and my 90 year old father is a bit of a chore. Its not that I don't like the Slee sliders I have. I'm just wondering if there are options that have benefits over the Slee sliders.
I picked ARB because it is from a big well rep company, light-weight, crash worthiness, no drilling, no rivet needed, and proven enough overseas for off-roading. I have been happy with the quality of Summit sliders so far.

I can say yes they do protect. About 2 weeks after I installed BudBuilt sliders with the kicker we where attempting an aggressive parallel park maneuver into packed snow between 2 cars. For some reason we kept getting pushed back out of the space. So I got out to take a look. There was a fire hydrant buried in the snow that was completely invisible. The sliders with the kicker did exactly what they where designed to do. I can only imagine the damage that would have been done without them. They basically paid for themselves and more that day. Now I know if was a full speed T-Bone they wouldn't help. But keeping you from damaging panels on a tight squeeze, something low and out of sight absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom