RobRed Death Valley Trip Nov 11-14, 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
rob.red
I've got a couple spots open for this years trip. Wouldn't mind seeing some 100's on the trail.

Details thread on Expo Expedition Portal

How to Participate in the Trip: PM me with your interest level. If you have been on my trips before, you are in. If you have not let's talk.

Destination:
Death Valley CA. http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

This is going to be a relaxed and easy camping trip. Targeting Eureka Dunes, Steel Pass / Dedekera Cyn, Saline Hot Springs, Lippencott Rd., Racetrack Playa and Homestake camp. SUBJECT TO CHANGE of course :)

Dates:
Fri Nov. 11 - Monday Nov. 14 (Veterans Day weekend)

Things to Know Before You Go (DV Website) http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

CAMPING:
This is dispersed, unimproved camping. We will be responsible for packing out EVERYTHING we pack in.
Each Member/Vehicle will need to be responsible for:
- Food
- WATER >>> It's recommended that each adult have 1 gallon of water consumed per day in DV. It's arid. You will dehydrate. No joke. No Fun.
- Shelter
- Bio-waste. It's mandatory each vehicle has a porta potty.
- Shade. There are no tall trees.
- Any special needs...

Campfires are prohibited in the park except in firepits provided in developed campgrounds. Gathering firewood is unlawful. Gas powered "Campfire in a Can" is ok to use with free online campfire permit www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/

Wind: Death Valley can be whisper calm or raging winds. Be prepared to deal with wind. That means guy ropes and extra tent stakes etc to secure your camp.

First Aid: Bring any special meds you need. Bring some general comfort items and SPF 30+ sunscreen. First aid is essential traveling in the back country. Don't rely on others.

Pets: http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/pets.htm While pets are allowed in the park, their activities are restricted. All pets must be on a leash at all times and cannot be more than 100 feet from a road, picnic area, or campground; they are prohibited from trails, and they must never be left unattended-not even in a vehicle. I'm fine with bringing them just be advised you are responsible for following the rules.

VEHICLE:
- 4x4 in Good working order. There are some challenging climbs. Trails are mixed; dirt and small rocks, Sand, Washboard roads etc...
- Extra fuel - I recommend 2-5 gallons
- Good Set of AT or better tires on your vehicle.
- Spare tire, full size mandatory.
- Frame Sliders Recommend but not required
- Tools for recovery (straps, solid recovery points), Jack capable of lifting your rig.

Comms:
- Ham Radio required (2 meter Simplex)
I'll be sending a contact list to all with frequency information. If you have a handheld HAM get an external antenna for it - you'll thank me later. I know not everyone has a HAM but for $25-40 on AMAZON you can get a Baofeng and $15 gets you a license (technician). Ask anyone who gone on my trips, it's awesome and easy. Folks are getting a call sign a couple days after the test.

Navigation:
Each vehicle should have navigation, be it paper maps or digital. I'll supply some way points for areas of interest as we get closer to the trip. If you have any to contribute please do so.

Firearms & Weapons
Hunting and use of weapons in the park is illegal. The law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. Other weapons including air guns, bow and arrows, slingshots must be rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use. These weapons will be kept out of sight insofar as is reasonably practical.

Drones are forbidden in National Parks.

Last edited:
Look for a Pett toilet between Big Pine and Eureka Dunes in a black pack....it shook off the RTT last week on my way in.
Probly on the edge of the road due to the wicked bumps.

luckily the rest of our crew packed well.

Hey Rob, no intention to hijack but wanted to mention I've been wanting to head to Hollister and if you have a few from your side of the neighborhood who want to head over there I would like to join up!
Also I have a group of about 5 vehicles heading to King of the hammers in feb. Bring some down with you.
Have fun.

Hey Rob, no intention to hijack but wanted to mention I've been wanting to head to Hollister and if you have a few from your side of the neighborhood who want to head over there I would like to join up!
Also I have a group of about 5 vehicles heading to King of the hammers in feb. Bring some down with you.
Have fun.

Hollister is a good time. Nothing on the books at this time but that doesn't mean we ant start something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom