RLC rear tire carrier / swing out / jerry can / custom fab bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just waiting on my gas can. Need to put in my 5” lights.

View attachment 2552140

View attachment 2552141
Nice set up. Word of caution. I lost a jerry can bombing through the desert because the bungee cord holding the jerry can snapped. Think of that and try to find a better solution to hold it in place. I was lucky and @steenh was not far behind me and picked up the can for me. I now use a harbor freight ratchet strap. Hasn't failed me.....yet. And the rat het strap came in handy on a windrock trip when i tore a passenger side rear LCA off. Used the strap to hold the axle in place until i located a local fab guy to fixed me up a temporary LCA. Pic of that ....

Eugene the mountain angle made this for me. Lol
Love that guy

DAA9700A-8B3C-4920-898A-FC3DC1CDF876.jpeg

My bumper came in. What an amazing piece of work. Instead of powder coating / bedliner route, I decided to make things even more difficult for myself and chose to coat with steel-it. Surface prep requires scarification of the steel so that the stainless steel particles can fill the voids. After sanding, I cleaned all the surfaces with simple green aircraft & precision cleaner, then wiped all surfaces with isopropyl alcohol. Steel-it sprays quite well, and I expect to get a few coatings out of the amount of cans I have. Can't wait to see how this will turn out once the coating dries!

20210115_140124.jpg

20210115_172959.jpg

20210115_175723.jpg

20210115_182942.jpg

My bumper came in. What an amazing piece of work. Instead of powder coating / bedliner route, I decided to make things even more difficult for myself and chose to coat with steel-it. Surface prep requires scarification of the steel so that the stainless steel particles can fill the voids. After sanding, I cleaned all the surfaces with simple green aircraft & precision cleaner, then wiped all surfaces with isopropyl alcohol. Steel-it sprays quite well, and I expect to get a few coatings out of the amount of cans I have. Can't wait to see how this will turn out once the coating dries!

View attachment 2554425

View attachment 2554426

View attachment 2554427

View attachment 2554428
Please show when installed. Looks good

View attachment 2554425

View attachment 2554426

View attachment 2554427

View attachment 2554428
Nice post up pics when you are done. Other than mine this is the only other dual swing I've seen. The 3 jerry basket comes in very handy, and for me also does the job of a ladder for roof rack games

Nice post up pics when you are done. Other than mine this is the only other dual swing I've seen. The 3 jerry basket comes in very handy, and for me also does the job of a ladder for roof rack games
Yep, yours was the reason I wanted one! I just have to figure out where the hell everything goes. It's difficult to sift through this thread to get clear and concise instructions as to where each bracket goes.

Yep, yours was the reason I wanted one! I just have to figure out where the hell everything goes. It's difficult to sift through this thread to get clear and concise instructions as to where each bracket goes.
Yeah I did mine and also another local buddy’s install. It’s a solid full day install, even the 2nd time around. but 2 years later I’ve had no issues and am happy with it. it’s solid has taken a ton of hard hits and never budged. I LOVE having 3 Jerry cans, those take up a boatload of room anywhere else. FYI there is a guy on mud that brings all the Scepter cans back from Canada, I order everything from him.

I think the main discussion about the install is whether the wing brackets have the flat plate facing up or down. People have done it both ways, I think it really depends on which holes line up with the frame holes on your truck. Feel free to PM me for any specifics, it’s been a little while but I remember most of the parts that were confusing at the time. Once you have all that plastic off the brackets make sense more

Yeah I did mine and also another local buddy’s install. It’s a solid full day install, even the 2nd time around. but 2 years later I’ve had no issues and am happy with it. it’s solid has taken a ton of hard hits and never budged. I LOVE having 3 Jerry cans, those take up a boatload of room anywhere else. FYI there is a guy on mud that brings all the Scepter cans back from Canada, I order everything from him.

I think the main discussion about the install is whether the wing brackets have the flat plate facing up or down. People have done it both ways, I think it really depends on which holes line up with the frame holes on your truck. Feel free to PM me for any specifics, it’s been a little while but I remember most of the parts that were confusing at the time. Once you have all that plastic off the brackets make sense more
Thank you, I appreciate all the help you've given me so far.

side note, what lighting do you have on your front bullbar? I'm looking into adding some
I have some Amazon cubes on top of stedi type x pros all wired into a bantam x. I also have yellow covers I can clip onto the stedis when it's foggy outside. Not bad for the price, and the build quality on the stedis are really nice!

I have some Amazon cubes on top of stedi type x pros all wired into a bantam x. I also have yellow covers I can clip onto the stedis when it's foggy outside. Not bad for the price, and the build quality on the stedis are really nice!
Nice looks good. Where did you order the Stedi’s from? I don’t see any vendors outside of Australia

Nice looks good. Where did you order the Stedi’s from? I don’t see any vendors outside of Australia
From Australia. They ship DHL and process orders immediately. I've gotten items from them in under 5 days in the northeast US!!

From Australia. They ship DHL and process orders immediately. I've gotten items from them in under 5 days in the northeast US!!
Thanks for the info. Looks like a quality alternative to the $ARB option. I might have to push those up on my want list

Greetings all, can someone tell me if the welded nuts to the plate is the hardware used to attach the side mounts to the frame? Just doing inventory before my install. Still lots of painting to do

Greetings, is this all that is used to attach the side mounts to the frame?

20210119_104404.jpg

Also, heres a photo of the fasteners that were loosely attached to the bumper. But what hardware does the rear mounts use to attach to the frame?

20210119_112056.jpg

Greetings, is this all that is used to attach the side mounts to the frame?

View attachment 2558265
I've been using these as standoffs for the license plate adapter. If they are the same spacing as the wing to frame mounts you could use them there. I used carriage bolts for that, but getting a wrench on the nuts was a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom