RLC Ozark NF Adventure - April 1st,2nd,3rd 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure if you guys are looking at anything this far East, but road 1815 from N. fork of the Illinois bayou up to hwy 7 is closed, there is a big berm at the bottom of it, also the road 1321 up around Hughes cemetery is washed out and blocked by flood debris we couldn't find a way to get through there, there may be a way but we couldn't find it. We covered 220 miles in 4 days , 90% dirt , between Appleton and Oark and these were really the only surprises we hit. the creeks are bad dry and of course burn bans everywhere, new small dent in the 60 but that's no real surprise LOL

We're 5.5 weeks out from the proposed dates. Is there a route planned out? Maybe I'd know more if I showed up to a meeting.. I'm pretty sure I can get free that weekend.

I'm ashamed that I live so close to this area and know so little about it.... Shame on me:(

Looking forward to this trip !!!

Scott

Route isn't planned yet. I have been given some routes and points from a few people, but nothing is firm yet. I will probably do a fast moving prerun sometime before the weekend to nail down the route.

Does everyone want to do 2 small routes, one each day, and utilize the home base/cabin idea, or do a more overland style camp along the way in 2 different spots with a longer route? Lance is 50/50 at this point and he wanted the cabin the most.

Route isn't planned yet. I have been given some routes and points from a few people, but nothing is firm yet. I will probably do a fast moving prerun sometime before the weekend to nail down the route.

Does everyone want to do 2 small routes, one each day, and utilize the home base/cabin idea, or do a more overland style camp along the way in 2 different spots with a longer route? Lance is 50/50 at this point and he wanted the cabin the most.

I would rather have one long route and camp on the way, but open to either. I'm just tagging along, so whatever you guys want is fine with me. I'll be in a tent either way.

I'm leaning toward everyone meets up at one camp for Friday night (no trails, just everyone get there), and we hit it hard all day Saturday, camp that night at a different location than Friday night, and lightly finish up in Sunday.

I am going to go ahead and say I am 100% out on this deal. Hope to be able to explain further later...

I'll be in the Ozark NF area next weekend and no nothing about it. I've been wanting to hit some trails near the buffalo river area but have found little information except for a trailhead called Woolum Crossing. Just looking for a good scenic route with access to hiking and camp spots.

ANY info would be greatly appreciated.

Brock

Which area of the Buffalo? It covers a lot of territory.

Since you mentioned Woolum, I have a route through that part. This route is pretty easy, but has some water crossings, passes a campground, and you might see some Elk if you are lucky (near the Narrows). Richland Valley 1-night trip

Beyond that, I suggest loading up an app called "PDF Maps" on your phone or GPS enabled tablet. PDF Maps Mobile App

Once it's installed search for "Boston Mountain", "Pleasant Hill", and "Big Piney" and install the MVUM maps that the forest service created. They are the official motor vehicle use maps and show the roads you are allowed to be on. You can use GPS to show your location on them, and create tracks, too.

I'm out as well. Will be headed to Ohio that weekend for work. Just found out...

I'm out as well. Will be headed to Ohio that weekend for work. Just found out...

Boo. That sucks, but work pays the bills...

So, who all is for sure in for this adventure? Any opinion on what I posted a few days ago?

I'm leaning toward everyone meets up at one camp for Friday night (no trails, just everyone get there), and we hit it hard all day Saturday, camp that night at a different location than Friday night, and lightly finish up in Sunday.

Boo. That sucks, but work pays the bills...

So, who all is for sure in for this adventure? Any opinion on what I posted a few days ago?

I am 95% in. And I like your proposed schedule. I know almost nothing about the Ozark National Forest, but if you need any help planning let me know what I can do.

Looks like I'm out. Conflicting clubs...I will be serving my beer with my homebrew club that weekend at FoamFest...

My self , professor , Mark b. And Bill are planning on going...

I am assuming all camping will be at primitive camping areas? No running water toilets showers etc....

Just getting myself mentally prepared.... My experience with those types of camp grounds haven't been the best... But it's been along time since I have done it.....

Looking forward to it...

Scott

My self , professor , Mark b. And Bill are planning on going...

I am assuming all camping will be at primitive camping areas? No running water toilets showers etc....

Just getting myself mentally prepared.... My experience with those types of camp grounds haven't been the best... But it's been along time since I have done it.....

Looking forward to it...

Scott

How many trucks do y'all plan on driving?

Yes, the campsite I have picked out is primitive. It is by a large creek. It's also pretty small, but we can spread out a bit if needed.

Very least 2 locked 80's..... Will know more after meeting next Tuesday...

Let me know where the meetup camp ground is so when we talk about it I can tell folks...

Thanks
Scott

I'm working on finalizing the route and planning the Friday meet-up campground soon. Should have details this weekend if not sooner.

Here's the plan. I reserve the right to edit or add more details to this post later. :)

Route
RLC April 2016 Ozark Trip
The route runs east to west, and crosses some pavement that will take you south to Clarksville and I-40 pretty easily.

Saturday Departure
We will depart the Longpool campground (north of Dover) around 8:30 on Saturday morning. It is up to you if you wish to camp Friday night at Longpool or if you want to just meet there at the 8:30 departure time.

Saturday Camp
Saturday camp is marked on the map linked above. The coords for it are 35.61226, -93.37078. If we can't camp there for some reason, we will continue on up to Haw Creek Falls campground.

Sunday Ending
We will be ending at the Oark General Store. They have gas and food.

Water Crossings
I have prerun a bulk of this route and the water crossings were no problem, but it's all dependent on rain. I would describe the levels at the time I went as "normal", meaning not a drought and not 3 days of rain ahead of time. I will wade any crossings that look questionable.

Communications
CB channel 24. HAM/2M simplex channel forthcoming. Myself and Jay are licensed HAM's. I will try to find a repeater we can use in case of emergency.

Tagalongs
I will have my 12 year old son and one of my 7 year old daughters. Feel free to bring whoever you'd like as long as they don't mind riding with you for days. :)

Sights, etc.
Water crossings, overlooks, an old school, an old cabin, creeks, dirt. At the larger water crossings, expect my kids to be fishing while we take a break.

I think that's it for now. Post up any questions you might have. Also post up if you are for sure in on this trip so I know to wait for you at the departure time on Saturday.

As for the route, it's the best I can do at this time. I'm not familiar with the Ozarks (yet) and this route is loosely based on another route given to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom