RLC Ozark NF Adventure - April 1st,2nd,3rd 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As planned, we all made it to Longpool Campground on Friday night. After a cold night, we hit the trail. Things went smooth until we got off the route near Treat. I was using paper maps and the MVUM maps on my phone, but we ended up on a tight trail (pinstripe city) with quite a few technical water crossings. After hitting the dead end we hoped wasn't there, and doubling back, we lost 3 hours.

After rerouting and getting back on the blue line, we came to the Big Piney crossing on FR1802. I knew it would be wide and probably a little deep, but I had my fingers crossed that we all could do it. I headed right in the creek and knew immediately that the others couldn't do it. After making it across, I had to turn around and come back. In the fury of turning around, Jay got his Jeep stuck in the rotten leaf goo. A quick tug and he was out.

Now we had to reroute again, and backtrack North to Hwy 123. Once we hit the highway, Jay left for home, and we decided to forego our original Saturday camp location and stay at Haw Creek Falls campground. We were tired and didn't want to be on the trail after dark.

After a relaxing night of epic food, a great fire, and some exploring around, we took down camp and hit the trail. Aaron joined us at the campground and tagged along for the Sunday route. We toured the Union School, Spurgeons Cabin, and really enjoyed the route. We tackled some mild water crossings, and an awesome trail leading out of the hollow from the cabin. We skipped the south of the Mulberry route for fear of a deep crossing and followed the river via the safer northern road all the way to Oark. We did stop and check the crossing in question near Oark and it was fine, but we took a good lunch break there and enjoyed the river. After we hit the Oark Cafe, we parted ways and headed home.

Total I covered 70 miles. Enjoy the pictures. :)

heKrch6.jpg

TThtg5d.jpg

AGlRU4e.jpg

btaTnqz.jpg

IIgKB1R.jpg

wNZfPgA.jpg

KQbABxi.jpg

dE68cq6.jpg

xAZmjCT.jpg

L0tD3ke.jpg

quuiWQW.jpg

Pfn0EqI.jpg

C8pnYU9.jpg

v3mPLpp.jpg

Apparently Scott and Mark love to cook. Scott brought his griddle. It cooked burgers, steaks, potatoes, peppers, onions, sausage, eggs, pancakes, bacon, chorizo, and probably stuff I'm forgetting. No one starved. :)

FUvhggL.jpg

GFcbjRc.jpg

Here are the pictures from Bill of my Big Piney crossing. Now when people ask about my snorkel (which happens once or twice a month) I can claim that I have indeed used it. The floorboards got a tad wet, and we could feel it floating. Kids didn't mind it at all.

dZeqEWj.jpg

1CkaWwQ.jpg

oMcwvle.jpg

Had a great time..... Thank you again for leading...

Scott

Josh don't feel bad I've missed the same turn you did past treat cemetery and dang it got tight , but man that creek up the wrong way is pretty LOL , it's easy to discount that left turn. And that leafy goo across the piney ford can get deep !!! Regardless it sounds like a good trip

Here are the pictures from Bill of my Big Piney crossing. Now when people ask about my snorkel (which happens once or twice a month) I can claim that I have indeed used it. The floorboards got a tad wet, and we could feel it floating. Kids didn't mind it at all.

dZeqEWj.jpg

1CkaWwQ.jpg

oMcwvle.jpg

Aren't you required to have registration numbers on all boats registered in Arkansas ??

Josh don't feel bad I've missed the same turn you did past treat cemetery and dang it got tight , but man that creek up the wrong way is pretty LOL , it's easy to discount that left turn. And that leafy goo across the piney ford can get deep !!! Regardless it sounds like a good trip

So the equally tight looking turn to the left was the right trail? It sort of looked correct, but I wasn't sure. I was thinking the gated road was the route.

yea the gated road goes to the hay fields, the dim left that's kinda in the creek bottom, is the correct turn, in about 200 yards you cross the creek and start up the hill. its a route worth taking, that can lead down to the piney crossing with the leafy goo :) before the tornado went through there you could cut across from just north of the piney crossing over to the fort douglas road which was pretty cool, but it is blocked with apparently no plans to open it back up.

yea the gated road goes to the hay fields, the dim left that's kinda in the creek bottom, is the correct turn, in about 200 yards you cross the creek and start up the hill. its a route worth taking, that can lead down to the piney crossing with the leafy goo :) before the tornado went through there you could cut across from just north of the piney crossing over to the fort douglas road which was pretty cool, but it is blocked with apparently no plans to open it back up.

Funny that the left looked like the point of no return. We definitely found the tornado evidence the way we went. I was lucky enough to find some leafy goo at the crossing where Josh was the only one equipped/brave enough to cross. Oh well, we got to see a cool waterfall and creeks. Maybe we will get the opportunity to take that left on another trip.

You people make it sound fun. How about a fall run ?

processed? film ?
that's old school right there, i don't care what'chu people say

processed? film ?
that's old school right there, i don't care what'chu people say

No film. I wish that option was still viable. Digital is just too easy and cheap. It would be cool to shoot some b&w film of our rigs in action. I just don't think there is anyone left in AR that commercially processes it and does a good job. I'm too lazy/tight/impatient to mail it off and wait.

I had my DSLR and shot all images in RAW format. They need to be processed through light room or photoshop and then exported to a jpeg that is a usable size for posting.

No film. I wish that option was still viable. Digital is just too easy and cheap. It would be cool to shoot some b&w film of our rigs in action. I just don't think there is anyone left in AR that commercially processes it and does a good job. I'm too lazy/tight/impatient to mail it off and wait.

I had my DSLR and shot all images in RAW format. They need to be processed through light room or photoshop and then exported to a jpeg that is a usable size for posting.

I use my camera on my phone. :hillbilly:

Wait...phones have cameras now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom