Right front anti-lock issue. Please help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I am driving somewhat "Spirited" and the right front tire is loaded, the right front tire goes into what I think is anti-lock (may be something other than that) and I get warning beeping from the dash.

This has only happened in left hand turns so far.
I am not on the brakes when it happens.
I have made the following mods to the LC: 2" King shock lift with 650# springs, The rear sits about 2" higher than the front(due to not having rear bumper/tire carrier yet), Slee sway bar relocation bracket, SPC UCAs, 285/75/17 tires, Evo Course wheels.
It is aligned.

Any one have any ideas?

Last edited:
I noticed, the larger the tires the more traction control kicks in. I'm assuming due to the computer getting confused by the rotational mass. It happened often with 35s, less often with 34s, and never happened with stock tires.

It's been a while, but I recall reading about recalibrating the traction control system or steering angle sensor or something after lifting to reduce how frequently the traction control kicks in after lifting. I had the same issue every once in a while on my passenger front wheel when I'd turn right into a parking lot quickly and loaded the suspension due to the angle of the driveway to the lot. I think it maybe happened 3 times in a year at the exact same spot each time, and that was the only times it happened so I didn't care enough to look into it.

Based on your description, it sounds to me like the stability control is intervening. It's braking the front right tire on a left turn as it's trying intervene on an oversteer condition. Either rightly or wrongly, it's sensing that the rear end is lose and trying to come around on you.

The hard part to understand is whether there is a mechanical problem in the sensor/steering rack/tie rods/front axle bearings. Or perhaps due to the suspension modifications or alignment. The 2" rake could potentially exacerbate the issue too.

I suspect that steering input angle defines the expected rotational difference across the front axle. If you are scrubbing then you might be outside the table values and the system intervenes. It may be possible to tweak the values. The Racing Monica chaps might have insights. If Tony P is correct about diameter maybe that has to do with the percentage difference compared to forward (straight line) speed. Larger diameters are turning slower and that might violate a rule as well. Isn't there a post KDSS adjustment tweak?

Based on your description, it sounds to me like the stability control is intervening. It's braking the front right tire on a left turn as it's trying intervene on an oversteer condition. Either rightly or wrongly, it's sensing that the rear end is lose and trying to come around on you.

The hard part to understand is whether there is a mechanical problem in the sensor/steering rack/tie rods/front axle bearings. Or perhaps due to the suspension modifications or alignment. The 2" rake could potentially exacerbate the issue too.

This sounds like maybe what's going on. The rake is too much for the set up and stability control is getting fooled. Get the bumper on there and I'll bet you'll be ok again.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, please keep them coming.

You may need to do a zero point calibration of the VSC

Attachments

• zero point calibration.pdf
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,752
Thanks everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom