Ride Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went on our annual 4 day ride with Sam and his buddies, last years ride was pretty epic as i tore the suspension out of my camp trailer and had lots of winching going on along with other minor trail breakdowns. this year we figured we'd make it more based on scenery rather than challeging so the first night was spent at noble lake above sheridan. what a nice mtn lake with not to bad of scenery. also ran into JohnnyO camping there. was basically no traffic at all. might have met half a dozen sxs's. the next night we went to boulder lakes above twin bridges. on the way in we ran into Jason P. he had started up noble looking for us but turned around and went to boulder instead. this was sunday afternoon and he had to work so went on home. that is one of the prettier lakes in the area and the camping is excellent there esp in the meadows. didn't make it to the upper lake as the big trucks were to wide and didn't want to climb over the boulder blocking the trail with the cliff right there. excellent place, We had planned to spend the last night at pear lake which i believe is w of I15 in the divide area but at the last minute decided to go to whitetail resevoir above pipestone. Jason was the only person we saw on the way in and out of boulder lakes!
So off to whitetail we go and let the adventure begin. i've read about this trail and even thought about it for the 40's only run(which sadly didn't happen this year) so was anxious to run it. this trail has everything mt has to offer on it. it starts out as typical pipestone trail with lots of turns and washes in it, after a couple miles of this you suddenly get to 2 more challenging hills litered with nice sized boulders on them. mind you i'm pulling my camp trailer and on 33's while sam is on 37's and trask is on 42's. after looking for a bit and watching them go and having some issues i figured it was time. i only got hung up once and took a slightly different route and wound thru there while only leaving my mark on a couple of rocks so i was relieved and happy. it then turns to timber and after cutting some trees and just enjoying everything we got to the meadows. now we get to water crossings and mud, then to add to the fun is a sketch bridge to cross, not super sketchy but you will get out and look. i finally got to my nemisis, it was a mud pit that is pretty deep and narrow with 2 ruts, there is a go around but it's kinda sketch but is doable. anyway for some reason the stt pro's decided to identify as 37's and stuck our nose into the pit, bad time for wokeness. i was commited and got about 3 feet. eventualy made it thru with help. after that there's more mud holes but nuthing major. when you finally arrive at the lake it has a really nice and large sandy beach that's great for camping. this is one great trail. took over 5 hours going in and a little ove 3 hours to get out. i don't think i would do it earlier in the season and if you got caught in a heavy rain you might have a rather challenging adventure getting thru the meadows. really wouldn't recommend doing this one by yourself due to the remoteness and there are places to get in trouble. in 2 weekdays we saw a rancher on a 4 wheeler checking cows and that was it. this one is a dandy, there is an off shoot that i've been told connects to hay canyon but it is now a 50" trail , what a shame. i'll try to post some pics later, and a chainsaw is recommended

The lake

62DFFD50-0143-4181-8653-F2055CDFD0AE.jpeg

Ron to get to the upper boulder lake you need to take the big trucks around the west side of the lake and go up through the trees instead of the shelf road east of the lake. You'll have to go back, up lake is beautiful

Ron to get to the upper boulder lake you need to take the big trucks around the west side of the lake and go up through the trees instead of the shelf road east of the lake. You'll have to go back, up lake is beautiful
Arg, I didn’t know that

I had a team up white tail mid July. Blew a 100 front arb on the only hill it could happen. It’s still behind the shop waiting to get fixed. A Lexus hit mud you discovered and was buried. Late in year lake gets low. But sandy beach is rare. I get a team or few up there when I can.

You'll have to ask Trask about his front end lol. thankfully he made it out all the way from the lake in 2wd. the mud pit should be fine for a while since i was drug all the way thru it without tires touching the ground. diff drag definetly helps to level out the ruts. that sandy beach is definetly a treat and basically no bugs. that hill is kinda intimidating but after lookin at it and watching where not to go i was able to pull my camper up it without much trouble. veggies are ready

the 8000 lb winch doubled wouldn't budge it and stalled out, had to hook up another 10,000 lb and double it to finally get me moving

anyway for some reason the stt pro's decided to identify as 37's and stuck our nose into the pit, bad time for wokeness. i was commited and got about 3 feet.
Ron, you're a poet.

So this year we did the trip early , normally we start with an easier trail and build to the finale. this year was different lol. decided to do the far off trail first and work our way back so saturday's destination was johnson lake. it's on onx, go to maxville and head east. it's reported to take 1 1/2-2 hrs each way. took us 5, 33" min tires are recomended and that is true. pulling my trailer was my nemisis this year as i had to winch 2 times but at least i wasn't the only one. out of 5 vehicles only 1 didn't have issues, an old square body chevy with a 6.2 diesel lol. Sam broke a hub and his radiator along with some steering issue on his built toy pu, tim broke something in his steering but was able to get home, i was stupid and paying attention to where the truck in front of me was getting around a particulary nasty washout whe lori let out a yelp and i instantly hit the brakes, well it was to late. a 2"limb came thru my prefilter and the windshield. shoved my windshield in probably about 2 inches but seemed like 2 feet. She wasn't impressed, although i will say tempered glass is impressively tough especially when backed up with duct tape. we got it shoved in front of the gasket and taped up and i was able to drive it home. So now we get to the last truck with issues, Trask lol. his red ford pu on 42's is pretty capable, he has dual tcases which can cause issues as seen in last years trip lol, anyway there's a lot of weight hanging off the back of the engine. decided it was time to build new crossmembers to hold the weight plus repair all the damage caused by neglect so anyway with a fancy tubing bender created a really nice cross member. since everything is old figured it would be wise to have bushings on both frames to attach to to allow for flex and movement. there must be a reason you don't see that form of engineering on new vehicles as every bolt holding the transmission and tcases stripped out. with judicial useage of ratchet straps he made it to deer lodge to purchase more straps. after the guys decided they had had enough he wasn't done with the trip so he went up caruthers last night. tonights destination was supposed to be somewhere around boulder but he evidently decided to mellow it down and i believe he was going to hay canyon instead. i have a trailer hooked up already waiting for the call but so far nothing.
As far as johnson lake the trip was a ball, don't be in a hurry, the trail is rocky and rough has some interesting bridges, at the end of it is probably one of the best campsites we've found. we should have spent a couple nights there. we had water from snowmelt running down the trail which made the rocks slick which was the main problem, don't recomend going this early. i will be going back and spending a couple days, don't go by yourself and enjoy a challenge. we didn't camp at johnson as the mosquitos were in ample supply, go on past it and camp at i think it's called goat mtn lake. as far as the 40, andy is cutting a new windshield this friday so hopefully im ready for another adventure soon. pictures will be coming soon

@elkun1 I saw you all headed up the hill on 90 just west of the 287 exit on Saturday. That 40 makes me smile every time I see it.

I was in the Subaru. The wife and I celebrated our 6th anniversary with a trip to Fairmont hot springs.

Good friend from butte tells the story about years ago after a day of driving backroads and consuming adult beverages they ended up at fairmont. it was late evening and decided to go for a swim and do the slide. procedures must have been different back then as he went up the stairs and started down the slide when he noticed the volumn of water was decreasing rapidly then as he went around the last bend noticed the netting had been placed on the bottom of the slide. he said it was kinda like a cw mccall song as he shot thru that netting like eggs thru a hen. said he didn't realize he had that high pitched of a scream

After the branch to the windshield, did Lori drive and make you sit passenger? Hopefully the glass shards didn't get all over.
She probably should have as i had already proven the highlight of my driving skills. Thankfully there wasn’t much glass inside and after some strategic placement of the handyman’s favorite tool we shoved the window back outside and put the gasket back in place to keep it outside. I was pretty concerned about it blowing in so she rode home with brad woodbury (the cornwell truck driver). If you guys need tools he’s the guy, worked at peak for years and knows Toyota’s. Also his truck was the only one not to break

IMG_2628.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom