Ride Issues Following LX470 AHC Delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2001 LX470 has about 170k miles and the AHC system finally quit on me. All the fluid leaked out and mechanics at two shops advised me swap it out for a traditional suspension system. I went with the Cruiser Outfitters "Light/Medium" 1.5" lift kit with OME parts and took it to my local mechanic who is a master Toyota tech with experience on older Land Cruisers and had done this work before--albeit usually with OEM parts.

Long story short: The darn thing rides like a skateboard now. Not that I need a "cushy" ride, but now I feel every single bump in the road to the point of absurdity. Feels even stiffer than a truck to be honest. The shop says that is normal and a function of the beefier kit, but it's hard to believe this is normal. I don't have any extra weight added on the vehicle--it's stock all the way--with the exception of BF K02s tires.

Is there anything that the shop could/should adjust to improve the ride save for swapping the whole thing out for OEM parts? They put a 1" rake on it, which seems to be the norm, as the 50mm rake would look a bit absurd without any weight in the back. The mechanic said I should drive it for a few thousand miles before doing anything. Anyone have any advice? I'm in CT and it's hard to find many folks who have done the AHC delete work before. Any counsel is much appreciated.

It sounds like you used the OME twin tube sport shocks, on an otherwise stock vehicle. By “1.5” OME lift”, I assume OME 2865/865 coil springs, and OME torsion bars.

It sounds like you used the OME twin tube sport shocks, on an otherwise stock vehicle. By “1.5” OME lift”, I assume OME 2865/865 coil springs, and OME torsion bars.

Yup. Here's what's on the truck:

1 - OME 303001 Front OME Torsion Bars
2 - OME 60001/60000 Front Nitrocharger Sport Shocks
1 - OME 2865 Rear OME Coil Springs (Pair)
2 - OME 60002 Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shocks

The OME springs and torsion bars are some of the lightest available aftermarket springs/bars for our vehicles. The only lighter option would be OE (non-AHC) LC springs/bars.

In my opinion (and experience), the OME shocks are relatively well built and durable, but they are valved way too stiff for a mostly stock US 100 series.

One common (and relatively inexpensive) solution is to swap the OME shocks out, for some OE LC shocks, but you’ll have to chase down some washers/retainers.

Another possible solution would be to swap the OME shocks for another “softer valved” aftermarket shock.

And a third solution, add enough weight to put the OME shocks in their “happy place” 😂

I would 2nd the OEM Toyota 100 series shocks. I have them on my LX w/ light build ( bumper, winch, dual batt) and it rides pretty nice. Not AHC nice, but decent.

The shop says that is normal and a function of the beefier kit, but it's hard to believe this is normal. I don't have any extra weight added on the vehicle--it's stock all the way--with the exception of BF K02s tires.
It is indeed normal. The OME shocks work great in only 2 scenarios: 1) with stock Toyota torsion bars and coil springs, 2) with stiffer aftermarket springs on a vehicle with +200-400 lbs extra weight *all the time* (eg, steel bumpers, sliders, etc). All other scenarios, such as yours, and they’re just too damn stiff.

swap the OME shocks out, for some OE LC shocks,
I would 2nd the OEM Toyota 100 series shocks.
I third this 👆🏽. I run OEM Toyota Tokico shocks with OME 860 coils springs, etc.

Thanks all. Very helpful. To be clear: Will I still notice a beneficial change if I just swap out the OME shocks for OEM LC shocks without also changing to OEM torsion bars?

Thanks all. Very helpful. To be clear: Will I still notice a beneficial change if I just swap out the OME shocks for OEM LC shocks without also changing to OEM torsion bars?
Yes.

An update: I swapped out the OME shocks for the OEM LC shocks and it made a huge difference. A bit floaty perhaps and not as good around corners--especially at higher speeds. But much more comfortable.

I agree with all above comments. I had Nitrocharger Sports on a lifted 100, and I wouldn't have been surprised if I cut one open and discovered a solid steel bar welded between the upper and lower mounts! They were easily the worst shocks I've ever had on any vehicle!

Like everyone recommended, I bought OEM shocks, and everything smoothed out fine, maybe even a little on the soft side.

All that being said, I rode in a friend's lifted 100 that had Ironman Foam Cell Pro shocks on it, and it was perfection. Shame they've gone up so much in price, but they seem to me to be the perfect solution to a stiff 100 suspension.

I run Fox Performance Series 2.0 front and rear on an otherwise stock suspension setup and it rides excellent. They aren’t too expensive and IMO are a great option for applications up to 1”-1.5” lift (max limit for available shocks)

I put in a Dobinsons 1.5" kit on my 2002 LX with 140K miles- stock except Prinsu rack and Roofnest RTT - rides better than with the AHC. Just the right level of firmness...so smooth.

I run Fox Performance Series 2.0 front and rear on an otherwise stock suspension setup and it rides excellent. They aren’t too expensive and IMO are a great option for applications up to 1”-1.5” lift (max limit for available shocks)

I put in a Dobinsons 1.5" kit on my 2002 LX with 140K miles- stock except Prinsu rack and Roofnest RTT - rides better than with the AHC. Just the right level of firmness...so smooth.

While you both may be correct, (and no offense intended) from my experience the problem with most shock recommendations on this site:

How many aftermarket shock options have you tried?

How much confirmation bias is involved?

How similar in weight is your vehicle, to the person asking for shock advice?

(From a guy that is running 3 mostly lightweight 100 series, has run multiple brand shocks [currently a Dobinsons fan] and some of them did “suck”.)

My bias would mostly be that I work for Fox and can come by their products very easily and cheap.
To say my experience of comparison would be with 2 sets of OEM vs my current Fox setup. The first of OEM were original to the vehicle, which I replaced with OEM - and had no issue with the ride quality of them. I ran these while getting my vehicle setup to where it is now. One started leaking and at the price to replace with readily available Fox product, I said to hell with it and replaced everything. Sat the OEM set aside for back up.
The OP says their vehicle is stock aside from tires. Mine isn’t crazy built up, but it does have some added weight. I have the Victory 4x4 Strike steel front bumper and I also welded in 1/8 wall 2x6 tubing through the whole length of the rockers (removing a portion of the body). That would be the bulk of added weight for me. Other smaller weight considerations are; I have a Victory 4x4 attic rack and third row molle window panel, I run Tundra 18’s with 275’s, and some recovery items on the roof.
The ride quality with my current setup is quite nice. When I installed the Fox products on, I also replaced my rear springs with OEM, sway bar kits and cranked the torsion bars a touch. Maybe that too plays a role? Either way, it rides like a cloud now, albeit a slightly heavy cloud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom