Ride height question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed the 2" OME lift kit a couple of weeks ago. This kit has 2702 front springs and 2722 rear springs. The rig has too much rake (stinkbug) going on for my taste. I would prefer a more level ride. Any suggestions on shorter springs of the correct spring rate? Should I just re install the original rear springs?

I do not have a rear (or front) after market bumper, and no plans, at the moment, to install one.

Aside from the rake, what do you think of the suspension? How's stability, handling, ride quality, etc.? If you like what you feel then instead of changing the rear spring consider trim packers (installed as part of the strut assembly) or spacers (installed between the strut and the mount) up front to even it out.

I just installed the 2" OME lift kit a couple of weeks ago. This kit has 2702 front springs and 2722 rear springs. The rig has too much rake (stinkbug) going on for my taste. I would prefer a more level ride. Any suggestions on shorter springs of the correct spring rate? Should I just re install the original rear springs?

I do not have a rear (or front) after market bumper, and no plans, at the moment, to install one.

If I were you, I'd go with the progressive 2721's rather than the 2722s... The 22's are not just a stiffer spring than a 21--though it might ride higher than you like before it settles a bit. If you still don't like a bit of rake, I'd suggest letting it settle over a month or two and then decide. If it still bugs you, you can always add front OEM spacers, which would raise you almost an inch in front (can't remember exactly what it adds, but its close to an inch).

Personally though, some rake is useful as it means your front wheels have more available down travel when off road. Also, your rake means you can load up the back and not have a "reversed rake" under rear load or with a trailer.

Measured the rake this morning at 1-1/8" difference front to back. I did this by measuring between the ground and the bottom of my sliders front and rear and then ratio'ing to the wheelbase.

Ride and handling are pretty good so far. Will the back continue to settle some with the 2722 springs? Should I load it up with some weight and drive it for awhile to get things broke in?

Wonder how much rake the stock setup has. Sounds like you currently have a bit more than stock?

The rear will settle a bit, but so will the front. So I'm not sure you'll see less rake going forward. Having some weight in the back should help though. Do you still have your 3rd row in?

3rd row is still in but coming out this weekend. I will be adding back my breakdown tool box, recovery gear, etc but I think the weight diff will be a wash.

I will second the idea of 2721s. That is what I have (thanks to @Markuson!) Do I have a bit of rake. Yes. But not enough that anyone notices. I do have the ARB drawer set an maybe 50-100 lbs of gear back there. When I load it up for camping or a trip then it settles a bit. The only way you will get it consistently "flat" or whatever you want is to never change to load. Heck, I even have a 1" lean from right to left of about an inch when my gas tank is full. That is within spec.

Wonder how much rake the stock setup has. Sounds like you currently have a bit more than stock?

I actually just measured my completely stock 2014 LC with 28000 miles last week. The suspension on a stock Land Cruiser is so cushy that the static height difference really changes by a lot based on where you are parked. I took three sets of measurements in three different locations and averaged them, measuring from center cap to fender on both sides of the truck.

The average measured rake on my Land Cruiser is 1.1".

I am getting ready to put the 2702 on my 2011. Was going to keep stock springs on back for now.

Any advice in this? Will I end up with too much lift up front?

I noticed that @tominboise said he thought about it. What did you end up doing?

@Rex9802, I ended up putting on 2720 rear springs with a 10mm packer. Which is level ride height now. But since I can't leave well enough alone, I am going to install a set of 2721 rear springs without the spacer and see where I end up for rake. I would prefer about 1/2 to 3/4" rake when empty.

I think you will be low in the back end with stock springs and 2702 on the front. I think you will need a spacer if nothing else to get things where you want them.

@Rex9802, I ended up putting on 2720 rear springs with a 10mm packer. Which is level ride height now. But since I can't leave well enough alone, I am going to install a set of 2721 rear springs without the spacer and see where I end up for rake. I would prefer about 1/2 to 3/4" rake when empty.

I think you will be low in the back end with stock springs and 2702 on the front. I think you will need a spacer if nothing else to get things where you want them.

What spacer? I am having a hard time finding one.

Is that the 10mm packer you mention?

Did you have to get new uppers on the front?

Thanks a million!! This has been bothering me all week.

Yes, the spacer is the 10mm packer I mentioned. OME (ARB) makes them in 5mm and 10mm thickness. They also fit an 80 series if you are looking around. Other companies may make different thickness spacers as well. The packer sits on top of the rear spring.

I had SPC upper control arms installed when I did the front lift. I wanted to make sure I could get the alignment dialed in correctly and I wanted as much clearance for bigger tires as possible.

So you can use spacers from an 80 series?

I can’t find anything that says 200 specific.

Yes, the rear spring diameters are the same on the 80 and 200 series rear springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom