Rhino 4x4 Front Bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you guys are threading those brackets into the frame rails from the inside? So not from the outside of the frame rail towards the midline of the truck? Access seems difficult that way?

Also, I was having interference with the kdss shock on the drivers side. How’s you guys get past that?

So you guys are threading those brackets into the frame rails from the inside? So not from the outside of the frame rail towards the midline of the truck? Access seems difficult that way?

Also, I was having interference with the kdss shock on the drivers side. How’s you guys get past that?
Yes, insert those wing nuts inside the rail. If it won't fit in flip it around and try again. The long threaded rod will travel through the frame and thread into the wing inside the rail. It's tedious and that's why I tied a string to the wing nuts in case one falls down into the rail while you are trying to start threading it. Helps to use some needle nose pliers or vise grip type of pliers to hold the nut in there while you try to thread that rod into it.

It may be a tight fit on the KDSS side but it is doable.

Hang on, so on those brackets, which are asymmetrical, do you put the short side into the frame first?

Hang on, so on those brackets, which are asymmetrical, do you put the short side into the frame first?
If you look at the previous pics we sent, you can see the batwing looking brackets/nuts are inside the frame.

Yes, I got that. What I’m asking is which side of the bracket are you guys feeding into the hole first.

The short side or the long side? Since the nut is placed asymmetrically

I don't remember for sure, but it might be short on one side simply to assist getting it through the slot.

So, going to try and install this again this morning. This time, before I took the stock bumper off I figured I should trial fit those brackets. Tried both on the passenger side since the kdss is in the way on the drivers side.

Tried going in short side first. Nope. Tried long side again. Nope. Tried angling it. Nope. Tried angling it the other way. Nope. Checked the instructions and this thread to make sure I'm using the right frame hole. Yup.

Ok, angle grinder time! Only thing I can think of is these brackets were jigged up wrong and welded improperly. I ended up taking off ~3mm on the front side of the nut, then beveling both sides, then having to flatten out the rear sides of the brackets. Now both of them slide into the frame holes correctly. As I went I kept threading in the rod to make sure the threads weren't getting boogered up. This took me a bunch of time as I'd take some off, trial fit it into the frame, take more off, rinse, lather, repeat...

All seems well with them now, so I'm going to get on the install after lunch...
Modified bracket 1.jpg

Modified bracket 2.jpg

Modified bracket 3.jpg

Ok, got this done. Holy crap is it a LOT of work! I do have some questions for you guys running winches. I bought a 10k lb Smitty Bilt and it wasn't anywhere close to fitting. With it bolted down to the winch plate, I had to remove the rear brace, otherwise it'd hit the gusset on the stock crossbar. Then it looked like the line was going to rub that gusset. Did you guys just notch out that gusset? Did you have to clock the clutch release to point backwards towards the firewall of the truck? Where'd you install the solenoid/wiring box? I ended up not installing the winch because it was obvious if I kept trying I wasn't getting the bumper on today and I *had* to get that done today.

Anyways, once I modified those brackets, they slide right in and then threading in the rods wasn't nearly the PITA I was dreading it'd be. After that stuff bolted on fairly easily, the most recent instructions posted are pretty good. Getting the wings to line up properly took several times per side. I have them in front of the headlights completely, with molding not hitting the headlights at all and a 1cm gap against the fenders.

Then it was just a huge pita tightening all the bolts, getting the upper Rhino skid to play nicely with my existing ARB skid, removing the front, lower fender/wheel liners (Did everyone else do that too? There was no mention of it in the instructions), getting the little filler plates in, zip tieing up all the wiring, etc.

I do wish they'd given us black bolts for the upper skid plate as well as black screws for the fog lights. I might replace all that silver stuff with black but right now I have ZERO motivation to mess with it. It took my friend and I 7 hours start to finish to get it on, although we spent some time messing around with the winch. I'm happy with the way it looks but am not enthused about taking it partially apart to install the winch at a later date.

Rhino bumper installed.jpg

Ok, got this done. Holy crap is it a LOT of work! I do have some questions for you guys running winches. I bought a 10k lb Smitty Bilt and it wasn't anywhere close to fitting. With it bolted down to the winch plate, I had to remove the rear brace, otherwise it'd hit the gusset on the stock crossbar. Then it looked like the line was going to rub that gusset. Did you guys just notch out that gusset? Did you have to clock the clutch release to point backwards towards the firewall of the truck? Where'd you install the solenoid/wiring box? I ended up not installing the winch because it was obvious if I kept trying I wasn't getting the bumper on today and I *had* to get that done today.

Anyways, once I modified those brackets, they slide right in and then threading in the rods wasn't nearly the PITA I was dreading it'd be. After that stuff bolted on fairly easily, the most recent instructions posted are pretty good. Getting the wings to line up properly took several times per side. I have them in front of the headlights completely, with molding not hitting the headlights at all and a 1cm gap against the fenders.

Then it was just a huge pita tightening all the bolts, getting the upper Rhino skid to play nicely with my existing ARB skid, removing the front, lower fender/wheel liners (Did everyone else do that too? There was no mention of it in the instructions), getting the little filler plates in, zip tieing up all the wiring, etc.

I do wish they'd given us black bolts for the upper skid plate as well as black screws for the fog lights. I might replace all that silver stuff with black but right now I have ZERO motivation to mess with it. It took my friend and I 7 hours start to finish to get it on, although we spent some time messing around with the winch. I'm happy with the way it looks but am not enthused about taking it partially apart to install the winch at a later date.

View attachment 3327298

Looks great!

You're talking about these two locations of interference? I cut the cross brace (the one that spans between the headlights) just past each headlight (so the headlights still bolt into it), and then just wiggled the small gussett that was no longer needed until the little rivet holding it in place broke free. After that, there's all the clearance in the world.

20230520_114448.jpg

20221111_110212.jpg

I replaced the silver fog light screws with black stainless steel screws (and silver washers which aren't noticable) from Home Depot (make sure to use anti-seize so the screws don't gall).

20211030_130744.jpg

20211030_131122.jpg

Yep, that’s the crossbrace I’m talking about. No worries with structural integrity by cutting out that big section? Does the grill attach to it too?

I was thinking of leaving in place and notching out the gusset. I think that’ll give me the room I need. However, if I do it that way I’ll need to basically remove the entire bumper to install the winch.

If I section it like you did I’ll be able to drop the winch onto the winch plate from above and not have to remove the bumper, which is extremely enticing

Last edited:
Yep, that’s the crossbrace I’m talking about. No worries with structural integrity by cutting out that big section? Does the grill attach to it too?
I have experienced zero problems with it cut out like that, but that doesn't mean there isn't some other structural purpose to it. True, the grille will no longer be able to attach to it and so it doesn't feel as firmly fastened, but the top screws and side clips do keep the grille in place, and the radar in the grill still works correctly.

I think I'm going to do it. I'll keep the cut piece and if I ever go back to stock can just weld it back into place. This way I'll have all the space I need for the winch and be able to install it without having to remove the bumper.

Dumb question, you have to remove the front tow points to install the bracket Rhino gives you. Did you guys reinstall the tow points on top of the Rhino piece? So sandwiched it? I left mine off but would like to put them back on

Dumb question, you have to remove the front tow points to install the bracket Rhino gives you. Did you guys reinstall the tow points on top of the Rhino piece? So sandwiched it? I left mine off but would like to put them back on
Yes, I took of the tow points. I have Trail Taylor and may put them back on, but the front bumper has tow points as long as you got it bolted down to the frame through the front horns.

View attachment 3339355
How do you get this thing aligned!! UGH!!!! 10 hrs in solo and I seem to be close but it’s a freakin nightmare!!
Alignment took me a while, like a few days messing with it. I think I got it on the vehicle (like you have) and then started from the center with the front section bolted to the wings going back and forth to get it centered on each of the sides the same (up - down and forward - back), then the brackets on the wings the last. I had to trim up the splash panels (at the very end). I does fit, just takes a bit of time and finessing. The white on white looks nice, mine is black on silver.

Yes, I took of the tow points. I have Trail Taylor and may put them back on, but the front bumper has tow points as long as you got it bolted down to the frame through the front horns.
Ok, I'll see about putting the tow points back on, truck came with a nice ARB one. What are people using on those front holes that look like they accept a J hook?

View attachment 3339355
How do you get this thing aligned!! UGH!!!! 10 hrs in solo and I seem to be close but it’s a freakin nightmare!!

It took my friend and I several tries on each "wing" to get them where I wanted them. Even then I wouldn't mind doing a bit more tweaking...

Well I finally got it aligned pretty good. How did you all attach the headlight washers. The tab they welded doesn’t line up and the holes are 1/8 wider so they don’t stay.

IMG_8675.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom