Reusing bearing cap bolts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any issue in reusing the bolts for the camshaft bearing caps? I didn't have any problems getting them out, but sure felt like a lot more torque than 12 ft-lbs. TIA.

Any issue in reusing the bolts for the camshaft bearing caps? I didn't have any problems getting them out, but sure felt like a lot more torque than 12 ft-lbs. TIA.

'Break Away' torque on bolts that have been in place a long time (and likely have some light corrosion/scaling) will be greater than the dynamic torque spec'd for installation. So no worry there.

I reused mine....but applied a dab of blue loctite to each one. DO be careful when reinstalling and torque them in 'tiers'....they are small diameter bolts and could strip in the head or snap. So maybe 8 ft. lbs first then come back around and hit 12.

'Break Away' torque on bolts that have been in place a long time (and likely have some light corrosion/scaling) will be greater than the dynamic torque spec'd for installation. So no worry there.

I reused mine....but applied a dab of blue loctite to each one. DO be careful when reinstalling and torque them in 'tiers'....they are small diameter bolts and could strip in the head or snap. So maybe 8 ft. lbs first then come back around and hit 12.

Thanks! I am at far end of the spectrum on worrying about breaking bolts, so I will definitely do it in tiers.

Onur has stated to another member that it's ok to reuse cam cap and rod bearing cam bolts unless there is an obvious reason not to.

Do NOT run a die down them or a tap in the holes to clean them as that cuts away material.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom