Return to centre steering stabilizer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
community.webshots.com
I would like to replace my steering damper and have heard that the OME's do very little, especially when running 315 tires. I was searching today and found these: 4Way Return to Centre Steering Damper - Steering Stabilizer
and
Tough Dog XHD Return to Centre Steering Damper/Stabilizer

Is anybody running these or know of anybody that is? Does changing out the factory damper improve the steering feel much?

My castor is right at 0deg and I have a little "death wobble" when braking...especially when turning slightly.

dont bother, they are a waste of time, just get yourself a decent shock only damper, ome does works well, or you could get one of these.

toughdog_damper_adjustable_01.jpg

these are the rtc you are looking at (yes its leaking).

tough_dog_damaged_damper_01.jpg

dont bother, they are a waste of time, just get yourself a decent shock only damper, ome does works well...

Thanks for the info. I would be a little upset to pay the $80-100 to have it shipped over here to only have it leak after some abuse.

BTW...am I looking in a mirror? All of your links are backwards!! :D

Thanks for the info. I would be a little upset to pay the $80-100 to have it shipped over here to only have it leak after some abuse.

BTW...am I looking in a mirror? All of your links are backwards!! :D

Also...after closer inspection, it looks like you 3 linked the front end. Very Nice.

Had one on my 4runner running 35's biggest waste of money I ever spent on it
My spring clamp started to slip after 5k, and unless you do your own alignment be ready for "I don't know what that is or I won't touch that"

I am curious if the adjustable dampner is any good

BTW...am I looking in a mirror? All of your links are backwards!! :D[/quote]

He might be in a different country, maybe a RHD(Right Hand Drive)?

Yes...more of a rhetorical question. :D
His sig has a location of NSW. I'm guessing that is New South Wales, Aus

Steering dampers have nothing to do with return to center unless they're broken/siezed. All they do is dampen sudden movement of the tires to reduce steering wheel kickback. If you have a poor on center feel or poor return to center, the above alignment advice is a better place to look for a fix.

DougM

OK...looks like I will need to remove the castor correction bushings and replace with OE and a set of plates to get +2-4 deg. A PITA but it should be worth it.

I had my 80 inspected recently and also put through a wheel/steering alignment. The toe setting was out, but apparently the caster was in spec (I didn't get a printout or see a screen display). But I don't think it is as I still get bump-steer, and lots of tracking/wandering with everything I can possibly change or adjust myself changed or adjusted. I know that the factory caster spec is supposed to be +3 deg, but how much away from that towards the negative territory is ok? My 80 has 4" HD springs, and is running 285/75r16 cooper stt's (but they're very worn). The tyre place said (and I got this confirmed elsewhere) that the very worn tyres would be contributing significantly to the wandering nature of the front end combined with the lift.

I don't see that having a RTC steering damper will help at all with any of that. IMHO at least.

Craig.

Sunrk, since you didn't get a printout or told what caster is, I wouldn't trust it as being ok. Too many techs just ignore specs that show to not be adjustable and assume it must be right. You likely have the same issue.

I drove in 285s for a year or so workout caster correction and it wasn't right, but tolerable. When the 315s went on it shook and pulled random directions under heavy braking. Washer mod made it drove so nice I'm still kicking myself for procrastinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom