Retrofitting bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

davegonz

Keeping it Weird
SILVER Star
Threads
I have an old Renegade Fabrications (like the MAF 4+) rear bumper with dual swing outs. The problem I'm having is that it takes a ton of force to move the tire swing out. Yesterday, I tried out my buddy's swing out on his Kaymar bumper and it was effortless to move the tire swing out. Has anyone tried retrofitting an old bushing design to a bearing type? I haven't dug into this yet, but just wanted to see if any has tackled this problem before.

I'd look at maybe just cleaning up or replacing the bushings, would it be possible to drill and tap some part of it for a grease zerk?

Possibly. There are none in it's present state, so adding some shouldn't be too difficult.

Bronze....I think. Need to tear into them.

I've got a warn belleview winch that has a zerk just pointing directly onto the brass bushing, dead simple, works great...

did you hit the hinges with pb blaster and open and close it a couple of dozen times... I am sure you probably tried that.

edit, just looked at the spare warn I have here, and it is actually a zerk on the end of the shaft , so you'd have to drill your pins, but still would be a lot easier than getting into bearings, and probably give acceptable results
I can send a pic if you're interested

Last edited:
I tried the PB Blaster approach and it didn't really work. I'll take it apart and see if grease would work.

The swing out carrier I built for my 40 used bronze bushings. They wore out so next time they'll be bearings.

If you want to retrofit, I'd suggest going to a local bearing supply house (IBT here) and start comparing inner and outer shaft diameter.

how long did they last?

how long did they last?

2 or 3 seasons IIRC. I don't wheel as often as most people on the board. I think the problem was a combination of a cantilevered 35" tire and washboard roads/trails. I took the carrier off but need to get it cleaned up and back on as the 40 now seats 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom