Resurrecting a 94 LC with 18k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New guy here, I'm not sure on what series a 94 Land Cruiser is, so I just posted this in general. I currently own an 88 Trooper and have owned a couple AMC Eagles that I have used off road and have zero experience with Toyotas. I'll just paste what I posted over on Expedition Portal.

Sorry folks, no pics. I know, I know. I was doing some work for a guy and he had a car under a car cover and I inquired what it was. It was a 94 Lexus LS400 with 60k miles and he hasn't driven it in a few years. Then he says, I've got a 94 Land Cruiser in the other garage with only 18k miles and I haven't driven it in at least 10 years. The guy ran into several things in his garage while on his electric wheelchair and I was worried he was going to hit the ladder I was on while fixing his garage door opener. A little later, he drove into his fence while driving his John Deere Gator, so it's probably a good thing he doesn't drive them. He expressed interest in getting the Land Cruiser running again. I might offer to help him get it running, again. I've revived a few vehicles that have sat for years, but besides the basics, is there anything special about that year Land Cruiser I should consider since it has been sitting for at least 10 years? I'm thinking it might have sat a lot longer than that, though. I'm mostly worried about possibly priming the engine with oil and seals being dry rotted.

Quote Reply
Report Attach files
Share:FacebookTwitterGoogle+RedditPinterestTumblrWhatsAppEmailToyota: Land Cruiser
Forum software by XenForo™ © 2010-2018 XenForo Ltd.

The 94 is an 80 Series...more specifically an FZJ-80 Series.

Prices on 80s are in the uptick and one with those miles is a unicorn.

The two things to keep an eye on with that engine are the head gasket (often need replaced in the 200K mike range with updated design) and the Pesky Heater Hose (PHH).

I would not be surprised if you could change the oil, throw in a new battery and drive it. It’s a tractor engine. Nothing special and older siblings of the 80 have sat longer, in fields and been started-up with less precaution.

Good luck!

Thanks. My Trooper has a drain plug on the bottom of the fuel tank, is the LC blessed with this feature? He has no use for it and he should sell it, but he's a bit of a hoarder. He kept the broken 25 year opener and worn out garage door springs I replaced.

Lots of folks in the 80 section would love to see this one or buy it.

Buy it, then flip it to the folks here.

The 93-94 are the same. They have a little variance from the 91-92 version and again from the 95-97 version.

If it truly has 18K on it and it hasn't been beat up or full of rodents, check and change ALL fluids (gasoline, engine oil, coolant, differential oils, transmission oil, transfer case oil, clean out the air cleaner (for rodents), install a new battery, and fire it up.

Rotate the engine BY HAND first, to make sure it is not stuck. Make sure it turns at least (4) full turns.

If it "ran when I parked it", then there's a good chance it will start now.

(Enter Price is Right trombone here) Sorry folks, the guy was a little grumpy when I called to offer to help and he declined my offer. He was really friendly when I serviced his garage doors, but that's probably because I cut him a heck of a deal since he was a disabled vet who was wounded in Vietnam Nam. He's a little bit of a horder, so he might have thought I had ulterior motives. Oh well, sorry to waste your time. Maybe he'll change his mind and call me back some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom