Restoring Green Bean '82 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If your having problems with welds blowing out you can use a piece of copper to back the weld. The weld will not stick to the copper backing and your weld will stay where you want it. After the initaial weld cools you can make another pas to build up the area and then grind smooth. If your using a mig make sure that your filler wire is not too large. I think that I use .024 for sheet metal. That is off the top of my head, and I may be wrong on the filler size.

If your having problems with welds blowing out you can use a piece of copper to back the weld. The weld will not stick to the copper backing and your weld will stay where you want it. After the initaial weld cools you can make another pas to build up the area and then grind smooth. If your using a mig make sure that your filler wire is not too large. I think that I use .024 for sheet metal. That is off the top of my head, and I may be wrong on the filler size.

Good point, I'm only have trouble on the thin rusty sections, but thanks for the tip! I'm using 0.30" according to the recommendations on the welder.

Finished the bed! It looks okay, the corners are hard to reach with any kind of grinding tool. I have some burrs on the die grinder, but it is still pretty tough. I cut out the rusty seam on top of the wheel well and welded in a patch. I'm slowly getting better with my welds, I'm still having trouble with them popping and leaving voids, any suggestions?

1398568640471.jpg

1398568653764.jpg

1398568665090.jpg

1398568679048.jpg

1398568695193.jpg

Last edited:
You may have your tip a little too far away from your work leaving poor gas shielding coverage.

Looks great Adam! Do you need to rebuild your wheel well lips too?

I know it's kind of hard to tell but I was trying to replicate the lip on the wheel well. I need to invest in a small round burr to get down into the corner.

Your welds look like they are improving. The copper backing plate was a life saver for a newbie like myself. I found a set online that had magnets so I could keep both hands free. Like the others said, keep it close to your work area, adjust the wire speed down, and space out the tack welds to keep the heat warping down. Keep up the good work.

Slowly plugging away, cut out some rust on the wheel well support. I had to drill out the spot welds, which wasn't the easiest thing to do. For anyone looking to do this. There are 3 on the top sides and two on the side closest to outside of the well. I would suggest going from the top and widening the hole with a die grinder burr. This left the top of the wheel well full of holes, I'll have to patch when I put the new support in. My angle grinder's battery died before I could finish grinding down the welds. I'm getting much better at the welding, still not perfect at cutting patches, I had to fill a gap on the bottom of this one, which is why the welds are so large.

1399784050845.jpg

1399784070291.jpg

1399784088562.jpg

1399784111069.jpg

1399784122361.jpg

Last edited:
I also should add: Does anyone have a good suggestion on what to do about these supports? All 4 of mine are rusted through, is these something I should do to prevent this in the future? Should I prep them with some primer prior to welding them in?

Some of the spot weld drilling that I've had to do. I've noticed that almost every piece that was on this wheel well has some sort of rust I need to cut out/remove. This is the progress so far.

1399920334049.jpg

1399920344869.jpg

1399920354251.jpg

I also should add: Does anyone have a good suggestion on what to do about these supports? All 4 of mine are rusted through, is these something I should do to prevent this in the future? Should I prep them with some primer prior to welding them in?

Watching you repair and you are doing fine work and learning along the way. I believe there is a weld through primer paint that is on the market under several names and has good and bad reviews. It has been discussed in another thread. Someone should chime in with information, as I need it also.
The design of those bracket is to just hold enough sand and salt to slowly rust the fine metal of the '82. Mine did the same and were completely replaced.
Keep it going.
Shane

Watching you repair and you are doing fine work and learning along the way. I believe there is a weld through primer paint that is on the market under several names and has good and bad reviews. It has been discussed in another thread. Someone should chime in with information, as I need it also.
The design of those bracket is to just hold enough sand and salt to slowly rust the fine metal of the '82. Mine did the same and were completely replaced.
Keep it going.
Shane

Shane, thanks for the feedback. All 4 of mine will have to be removed and replaced. a job that I'm not looking forward to. I think I'll invest in some weld through primer and then some 3M rust fighter and soak the space underneath it to prevent this from happening again.

Is there a way to seal weld that area. If there was a plastic liner available to go in the fender wells that would be pretty fantastic

...via IH8MUD app

Is there a way to seal weld that area. If there was a plastic liner available to go in the fender wells that would be pretty fantastic

...via IH8MUD app

I think you could seal the bottom, but I think that was the problem with the original design, since the bracket is curve there isn't a way that I'm aware to weld the back of it. What do you mean by plastic liner?

Don't be afraid to drill out some of those holes with a step drill bit to make clean round holes to fill. I cut a variety of slugs, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", etc. and sometimes larger disks to fit into the holes with no gaps. Makes welding much easier and better results. Even the best welders can't weld over rust. The slugs can be cut from round bar of the appropriate diameter or using a hole saw on a drill press with no centering bit.

I think you could seal the bottom, but I think that was the problem with the original design, since the bracket is curve there isn't a way that I'm aware to weld the back of it. What do you mean by plastic liner?

I mean like newer cars have.

...via IH8MUD app

There is a thread on here where someone made these wheel well brackets. Cut a pipe in half and welded flat metal to each side after it was bent at 90 degrees.
Maybe someone remembers the thread and will bring it up. I don't bookmark enough things.
Shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom