Restoring Green Bean '82 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice progress. Your welding is plenty good enough for a skim coat of filler when done.

You can use a 'regular nut' and then just tack it in place after it's bolted down. Not as fancy as a floating captive nut, but it'll make subsequent removal/installation more fun. Use anti-seize compound on any underbody/roll bar type threads.

were the factory roll bar nuts floating/captured or welded?

Adam, capture (ie weld) those roll bar nuts in. Just trust me

...via IH8MUD app
Why is that? I figured it would be easier, but still haven't landed on what to do yet.

Nice progress. Your welding is plenty good enough for a skim coat of filler when done.

You can use a 'regular nut' and then just tack it in place after it's bolted down. Not as fancy as a floating captive nut, but it'll make subsequent removal/installation more fun. Use anti-seize compound on any underbody/roll bar type threads.

Thanks Steve.

were the factory roll bar nuts floating/captured or welded?

There was captured nuts under there originally. Is there something special about a floating captive nut?

Update for today.

1410751690326.jpg

1410751703383.jpg

1410751716780.jpg

1410751725951.jpg

Update for today.

Those fender inserts look like the ones I got - nice job looks really good! I'm almost done with mine, just have the passenger side to finish up - need to weld up the CB antenna hole and then skim the entire quarter panel.

What? After 3 months that's all we get? ;)

Hope all's well Adam!

Are you happy with how it's all coming back together? Everything lining up nicely or are you having problems?

Are you happy with how it's all coming back together? Everything lining up nicely or are you having problems?
Matt- Yeah, it's just slower going than I anticipated and it's frustrating trying to get everything perfect. I keep finding more rust I have to cut out and what not, drilling out welds is also incredibly time consuming as well.

Adam Keep fighting the good fight!

I'm curious, can the full inner rocker below the front door be replaced by itself? Or would both inner/outer need to be done at the same time.

Thanks,
Ryan

Adam Keep fighting the good fight!

I'm curious, can the full inner rocker below the front door be replaced by itself? Or would both inner/outer need to be done at the same time.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan - What you see there is the entire inner rocker removed, you can replace them individually. My outer rocker is in pretty good shape and I plan on keeping it. The great weather here has inspired me to work faster so I can enjoy the truck again!

Nice, looking forward to more pictures of the rust removal progress.

Good job Adam, keep it up!

It's starting to come together. Today, I know April Fools day, marks 8 years for me cancer free. Soon your 40 shall reach that mark.
The Denver weather does seem to have been pretty warm early, so you need to enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom