Resources for Finding Trails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I'm new to off-roading and looking for trails in the Western Piedmont and Mountains region. I'm having a hard time finding good information on trails and routes to take. In general I'm looking for mild-medium routes that would be suitable for a weekend camping trip. I downloaded the NC-TN section of this, but it seems most of forest roads on the route are closed right now. What resources do you guys use when planning local weekend trips?

Also some info: I've been an owner of my first LC ('10 200 series) since Summer 2019. Looking into joining TLCA and ONSC soon.

There are lots of free GPXs that I use on ADVrider.com, not sure if/where it is here on Mud. If you are going to buy something then look into Gaia GPS and use the MVUM map overlays.

Also, MVUM can be downloaded for free from NPS. And you can overlay them manually, but GAIA makes it real easy.

There are lots of free GPXs that I use on ADVrider.com, not sure if/where it is here on Mud. If you are going to buy something then look into Gaia GPS and use the MVUM map overlays.

Also, MVUM can be downloaded for free from NPS. And you can overlay them manually, but GAIA makes it real easy.
Wow thanks for the info! Downloaded Gaia and looking at the MVUM overlay now. FYI to anyone else who comes across this thread, I found this link for a free 3 month trial of Gaia Premium 3-Months of Premium Access to the Gaia GPS App — Washington Trails Association - https://www.wta.org/get-involved/join/gaia-gps-gift-to-wta-members

Hah. Ok so typed this yesterday and apparently forgot to hit reply I guess. But garner is on it.

Ok. Ima gonna go old school on ya.
Delorme gazateer backroads edition. $20 at Walmart. Not always as exciting as it looks but has made for plenty of unknown adventures.

Hah. Ok so typed this yesterday and apparently forgot to hit reply I guess. But garner is on it.

Ok. Ima gonna go old school on ya.
Delorme gazateer backroads edition. $20 at Walmart. Not always as exciting as it looks but has made for plenty of unknown adventures.
Would this be the one that @GarnerFJ40 linked above?

Would this be the one that @GarnerFJ40 linked above?

Yessir. I have one for each of the surrounding states.

7E8E9B4D-77A6-4B33-AB39-DC2702FFD9CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone. Went on my first trip Fri/Sat, albeit a quick one. I used @izzyandsue's book route and camped on hurricane creek rd and later drove to max patch. I had a great time on the trail. I will say that i was surprised how challenging it is. Most of the internet forums seem to downplay it, but there's some rough sections for sure.

I've been using OnX Offroad combined with my DeLorme books.

If you can find older versions of the Gazeteer you'll find roads that used to be open at that time of printing, those that have been deleted from the most recent/current version. We've noticed that when coordinating scouting runs, and exploring a few open gates that lead to trails closing in on you until it's down to a hiking trail. Fun stuff!

Some of the North Carolina overlanding groups on Facebook have some decent listings and suggestions. Most of the routes are highly popular though, i.e old NC 105.

I like using groups to ping if anything has been gated or to check trail conditions for where I'm headed.

Oh geeze, if I hear about if anyone is going to 105 or Hurricane Creek Rd on Facebook again! The chatter about it seems people in that group just live on those 2 routes!

It is pretty amazing how 105 has become a destination. I remember driving through a few times, marking potential campsites, but it was more for emergency camping if needed, side of the road camping not being "my thing". BUT, more and more people are taking on this overlanding thing and everything is relative.

Yeah I’ve actually been down 105 before when backpacking linville gorge. I don’t really see the appeal as a pure off road driving experience. To each his own though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom