Replacing rear sliding window (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
Someone broke into my car last week by breaking the rearmost glass panel of the rear right sliding window.
I purchased the equivalent glass panel from Spector Off-Road with the understanding that I can just swap the broken glass with the new glass panel.
However I took it to get fitted today, and the glass fitter told me they can't fit just the glass, I need to get a full replacement frame including both sliding windows.
I spoke to Spector again who told me Toyota sell individual glass panels, so they believe it should be possible to just replace a single glass panel.
Does anyone know if I can just replace a single glass panel, or do I need to hunt down a full replacement frame?
Thanks,

Its not too difficult to get the window/frame out. Just takes a little patience and some pushing and prying of the rubber gasket. Here are some pics when I took mine out to seal a leak in the jack area (the quarter panel had been replaced at one time and the seam had a leak it in. I think it can be removed without taking off the rear vent moulding and lower window trim on the outside. On the inside though, I think you'll probably want to pull out the lower plastic panel.

PICT0007Custom.jpg

PICT0011Custom.jpg

PICT0006Custom.jpg

PICT0008Custom.jpg

PICT0012Custom.jpg

I didn't take it apart any further, but I think that center support unscrews and then you spread the frame some to pull out the glass.

As other members have pointed out, a single glass panel can be replaced by itself. So If it were me, I'd be looking for another glass shop, because from what your telling us, it looks like this glass company is only interested in one thing, and that would be up selling you to make more money.

Thanks for the advice.

I removed the complete window assembly which was pretty straightforward (see this video ) but using bike levers for tools.

Then removing the 2 screws for the central divider made it pretty easy to add the replacement glass to the removed assembly.

Finally reinstalled the complete assembly - this video was a useful guide on how to do this - it was surprisingly easy ().

So the whole job is fairly straightforward for the price of a replacement glass panel and a $4 1/8 roll of cord.

I bought all new frames, run channels, and weather stripping for a 1992 HZJ project I started recently. The old aluminum frames were corroded and the windows wouldn’t shut tight or lock and they barely opened.

Followed the same procedure here but am having a hell of a time getting one of the sides back in and the other side seems to fit a little wonky. Just wanted to note that rebuilding these windows from scratch may not result in a great fit, possibly due to normal shifting of the frame or something. I’m hoping they work their way into a better fit over time.

I bought all new frames, run channels, and weather stripping for a 1992 HZJ project I started recently. The old aluminum frames were corroded and the windows wouldn’t shut tight or lock and they barely opened.

Followed the same procedure here but am having a hell of a time getting one of the sides back in and the other side seems to fit a little wonky. Just wanted to note that rebuilding these windows from scratch may not result in a great fit, possibly due to normal shifting of the frame or something. I’m hoping they work their way into a better fit over time.
How did the final fit come out? And, if you don't mind... Where did you source the parts from? I will be looking to do the same for both front sliders.
Cheers

How did the final fit come out? And, if you don't mind... Where did you source the parts from? I will be looking to do the same for both front sliders.
Cheers

The LH side ended up fitting great. I could never get the RH side to fit properly. There's a corner popping out about 1/2". It's air tight and functions fine, just looks off and would be pretty easy to pry the whole window fixture out by that corner. I don't think anyone would notice but it drives me crazy.

I sourced all the parts from Olathe Toyota Parts Center. All OEM. My sense is they're a bit pricey but had everything in stock and fast shipping. I had a big budget but not a lot of time so paid the premium for expedience.

FWIW, I believe there may have been some body damage to the RH side that's causing the bad fit. I can't see anything but even a small bit of warping could cause what I'm seeing. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

The LH side ended up fitting great. I could never get the RH side to fit properly. There's a corner popping out about 1/2". It's air tight and functions fine, just looks off and would be pretty easy to pry the whole window fixture out by that corner. I don't think anyone would notice but it drives me crazy.

I sourced all the parts from Olathe Toyota Parts Center. All OEM. My sense is they're a bit pricey but had everything in stock and fast shipping. I had a big budget but not a lot of time so paid the premium for expedience.

FWIW, I believe there may have been some body damage to the RH side that's causing the bad fit. I can't see anything but even a small bit of warping could cause what I'm seeing. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Thanks for the response. I'll need to start putting the order list together!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom