Replacing Antenna--Tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just did a search on this topic and came up empty-handed. But I seem to remember some folks discussing this job, and how it was a PITA. I haven't yet consulted the Oracle (BGB), but will do so tonight. In the meantime, anyone who's done this have any tips to make it easier?

I'm assuming I have to replace the whole kit and kabootle. The antenna stopped going up and down automatically. The motor sounds like it's trying (it runs), but just not catching on to the mast drive/cable. I saw on one of the posts that this runs about $250 (the price of music...).

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,
Don't be sad. If the motor is trying you likely only have a broken nylon cable (do you get a clanking noise). For a 97 I believe your replacement mast kit (circa $30) comes with a new nylon cable attached to thread into the drum (or maybe a new drum??). Buy this first.

To replace start by unscrewing and the mast retaining bolt and rubber grommit. The antenna motor assembly is then held in place by one bolt down low in the inner engine bay wall. The tricky part is that the antennae cable does not unplug from the motor assembly so, unless you want to pull your radio, unplug from that end, unthread the cable and then rethread it through the dash (you don't!), you have to rotate the assembly to bring it out of the access hole while it is still attached to the cable and work on it in situ. This is not as hard as it seems at first - be patient. Once the assembly is out you need to remove any old cable from the plastic drum and thread the new cable in to replace it. Then put the whole assembly back in.

Overall a one and a half banana job.

For once be glad you have a 97. For earlier models the replacement mast screws into the nylon cable and so if the cable breaks Toyota expects you to buy a whole new assembly. For my 93 the option was to either retrofit a mast kit from an 85 4runner. The 4 runner mast and cable works but not perfectly.

Thanks guys. I don't know why I didn't find the IH8MUD article...I used the search with "antenna replace" and while it came up with some articles/comments, this one wasn't included. Thanks B! (as well as Keep too for the archives of SOR).

Semlin--I'll try the mast first as you recommend. Now to call Dan...

Tom

If you don't care if it is powered, just get a aftermarket one and you should get more channels, the power one (does not)sucks.
kurt

Make sure you get all the chunks of plastic strip out of the drive, it's hard to tell the drive housing from the strip with all the grease in there.

Thanks for the tip Scott. I've done a similar repair on a Honda Accord (actually, on two separate Accords...), so I know about that grease stuff they pack in there. I'll be sure to pick it all out and replace as much grease as I can, if need be.

landtoy80: for what it's worth (it's a sickness I think), I do like to keep it in as "stock" condition as I can (bearing in mind that I've already done the S/C), so I would prefer to put the power antenna back in. But I'm curious why you think you get better reception with an aftermarket/fixed antenna? Is there something I could do on the reinstall that would improve my reception?

Tom

Tom I tried 3 decks in the 80 and they all had poor reception. when they were in the 60 they were great. Even better with a antenna with a fm booster (the one with copper wire around the upper part) but they don't last, they fill up with water and the copper falls off :mad:. I too replaced the antenna with a Toyota stock mast but that was per the WIFE. She likes POWER :eek:
kurt

I hear ya dude...

Not sure if this is common, but on my wife's '97 the antenna cable wouldn't let the motor come out of the fender, had to do it all through the little triangular hole in the fender. On mine, I pulled apart the dash and loosened the antenna wire from everything I could get to, but didn't get any extra play at the antenna end! Luckily there was just enough play already to get it out of the fender. Loosening the cruise control bracket helped.

Anybody have the source of a aftermarket antenna that worked/fit correctly? Mine's junk, and I don't care about OEM on this vs. $$$. I'll use the raise/lower switch location for something else.

cheers

I like the ones that have a spring on bottom. Don't get the one from any of the _marts as they fall apart. Go to radio shop.
kurt

:D

Info that I need at my fingertips.

Anyone else have a broken antenna?

Yup ... my '96 antenna mast is busted in half. I found a site www.antennamastsrus.com that has the mast for $28 plus shipping. My motor seems to run fine ... sounds like the 90-96 have a integrated cable that you need to reuse when replacing the antenna ... is this true???

My 1991 re used the plastic cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom