Replacing '60 Springs - Setup Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I just recently picked up a set of slightly used OME Dakar heavy rear springs for my 60. My stock rear springs are pretty much flat, so there's a fair amount of sagging. I've tried to do as much research here before asking more suspension questions, but haven't quite found all the answers I'm looking for. Before I go ahead and replace the rear springs, I had a few things I wanted to find the answers to...

I know that for the effort and cost involved, I should probably replace the shackles while I'm at it, but money is tight right now, so I wanted to find out, will the Dakar springs fit on stock shackles?

I'm pretty sure the heavy springs will give me a 2.5" lift over stock height. Has anyone replaced the rears and left the front stock? Any pictures of how extreme the lift difference is between front and rear? My front springs have some sag, but not nearly as bad as the rear. I'd like to put mediums in the front soon, just deciding if I can afford to do it all at once.

I have a set of Rancho 5000's that the PO put on within the last year. I'd like to swap in OME nitrochargers eventually, but again, money is tight at the moment. Will the Rancho's still fit with the lift provided by the Dakar springs?

Thanks for the help.

It's going to look goofy with just the rears done.

Try and get a set of fronts to match. Cruiseroutfitters or Mudrak can get individual springs-you could just get those. They are not super expensive.

Not sure if the stock shackles are long enough, but I think they are. The pins do fit the OME bushings if that's what you have. The OME shackles are very nice and not a bad place to spend a few $$.

Regarding shocks, the longer spring would normally use a longer shock, but if you are happy with the springs not being able to flex all the way down, you can probably get by until you can afford some shocks.

X2 on Cruiserdrews advice. You don't have to do everything at once

And yes the OME's will fit the stock shackles. I saved money by doing this as well. Eventually went with the OME shackles, well worth it.

Tony

if budget is concern, you can always make a set of shackles if you are wise to fabing things up?

i.e welding and metal work and such...
and cruiserdrew is way on target with that thing looking goofy with just the rears on.
My advice to you would be, drive it with a saggy ass till you have the funds to buy a set of fronts. Then do them all at once and have a sweet ride!:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, super helpful. I'm thinking I can afford to the front and rear springs if I leave the shocks alone for now. I'll have to see what the final price tag on the shackles comes to, it would be nice to get those done all at once.

The front springs aren't that much money. Something like $100 ea for the medium fronts. It's the shackles and bushings and pins and shocks and U-Bolts that cost all the dough. You will need a taller shock to go with your taller springs before you wheel it, but if you are just driving on the highway, you might get away with using your stock sized shocks for awhile. You will definitely need a longer brake line, and extended sway bar links would be a good idea (if you have a rear sway bar). You are probably going to need new U-bolts as well.

Lifting my truck with the ome heavy 2.5" took it up 6 to 8 inches from where it was sitting on the old springs. Made it difficult to get my truck out of the garage in which I did the work. And it never went back in...

In other words, as everyone else has stated, don't do one end before the other.

By the way--I also recommend you get a set of heavies for the front. You have heavy rears and you always end up loading it with more weight than you think. Plus, if you find you don't like the ride, it's just a matter of taking one leaf out of the pack and it's a medium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom